HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:18 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
^That's the right stuff. I got my crimper at RadioShack, believe it or not. Works fine. Not racheting or anything, but that's ok by me. The only problem is that it doesn't crimp the center pin. I use my L-COM crimper for that but you can solder it, no problem.

Usually the easiest thing to do is type "RG58/U SMA male jumper" into EBay's search engine. That will come up with a bunch of cables you can buy and just cut in half. No crimper needed. I also sell them on my website in 48" lengths with two SMA male ends on them for use making your own DIY antennas.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:40 PM
^Its what I do^ - FPVholic
USA, MO, Slater Flying Club
Joined Nov 2007
266 Posts
Bump
Anyone?
Is this cable and a FME female connector 50ohm? I can't tell. Again this is for a 1900Mhz for cell network
The Flying Farmer is online now Find More Posts by The Flying Farmer
Old Oct 29, 2011, 01:45 PM
^Its what I do^ - FPVholic
USA, MO, Slater Flying Club
Joined Nov 2007
266 Posts
Cable with fme connector
The Flying Farmer is online now Find More Posts by The Flying Farmer
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:16 PM
Yhdysvallat, CA, Irvine
Joined Nov 2007
230 Posts
Hi i think I have all the parts what are needed to build this antenna. I have couple questions still.

Picture 1 : Does it work if I take the plastic shield away when it goes true the reflector and solder it to reflector and to the two cable ends ?

Picture 2 : I will solder the to cable ends to the ground and the middle of the cable to the "singnal wire" ?
p3jpaavi is offline Find More Posts by p3jpaavi
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:25 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Farmer View Post
Bump
Anyone?
Is this cable and a FME female connector 50ohm? I can't tell. Again this is for a 1900Mhz for cell network
Yes, that's 50 Ohm cable.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:26 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3jpaavi View Post
Hi i think I have all the parts what are needed to build this antenna. I have couple questions still.

Picture 1 : Does it work if I take the plastic shield away when it goes true the reflector and solder it to reflector and to the two cable ends ?

Picture 2 : I will solder the to cable ends to the ground and the middle of the cable to the "singnal wire" ?
Picture 1: Yes. It will work ok.

Picture #2: Yes. Simple as that.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:12 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,772 Posts
I'm currently building my first bi-quad. at 1040MHz.

IBCrazy, you mentioned that you can reduce the size of the reflector (to a minimum of the size of the bowtie) with some loss of gain. How much would you expect to loose at the minimum size? and would this increase the size of the side lobes (for better landing)? Would a minimum size reflector reduce a bi-quad back to the level of, say a std patch?

Thanks

Roger.
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:19 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
The reduction of the reflector can drop the gain as low as 9dbi. The problem is that most of this drop appears in the back of the antenna, not the sides. If that is acceptable, then go for it. However, I find using the standard BiQuad works better for me, so I leave the full reflector.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 02:45 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
32 Posts
Hi Alex. I would like to try the CP biquad on 910 mhz. Did you post this somewhere? Are you using a length of coax to get the 90 degree phase shift?
Regards
Richard
rbcodell is offline Find More Posts by rbcodell
Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:30 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,772 Posts
Bi-Quad build failure - and hints pls?

I've just finished building my first bi-quad at 1040MHz.

Tested it for the first time and it is terrible. The commercial 8 dbi it is intended to replace has heaps better reception in a basic 'reception signal pointed through my house' test. When there's no signal left at all on the bi-qaud, the patch picture is perfect. Humph!

I've attached a couple of photos of the antenna, focussing on my ordinary soldering skills. Nonetheless, the centre conductor and shield conductors are not touching at the intersecting lines of the bowtie, and there is no bridging of solder. At the edge of it's range it does exhibit some polarisation effect.

Can anyone see an obvious error or otherwise make a suggestion on improving it? Thanks in advance. Roger.
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Nov 05, 2011, 07:34 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post

Tested it for the first time and it is terrible. The commercial 8 dbi it is intended to replace has heaps better reception in a basic 'reception signal pointed through my house' test. When there's no signal left at all on the bi-qaud, the patch picture is perfect. Humph!

I've attached a couple of photos of the antenna, focussing on my ordinary soldering skills. Nonetheless, the centre conductor and shield conductors are not touching at the intersecting lines of the bowtie, and there is no bridging of solder. At the edge of it's range it does exhibit some polarisation effect.

Can anyone see an obvious error or otherwise make a suggestion on improving it? Thanks in advance. Roger.
Looks like cold joint, you need to get that wire hotter and the solder will create a better joint.
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Nov 06, 2011, 04:38 PM
Earth's Mightiest Hero, KC9TBO
United States, IL, Lemont
Joined Apr 2010
284 Posts
Finally Done

Here's my finished 900MHz BiQuad. Amazing what a can of Krylon can do. I hot glued the sheet metal to some foam board, so it's nice and light and can be easily mounted to my antenna tracker with heavy duty 3M velrco-like material. Haven't tested it on the actual plane yet.
Zahnarzt is offline Find More Posts by Zahnarzt
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:30 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbcodell View Post
Hi Alex. I would like to try the CP biquad on 910 mhz. Did you post this somewhere? Are you using a length of coax to get the 90 degree phase shift?
Regards
Richard
The build for the CP version is in the Video Aerial Systems forum on FPVLAB.

I even made a how to video for it: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....e-Quad-antenna

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:32 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post

Polarization maybe? Do you have the bowtie flat or is it stacked like an "8"? The BiQuad absolutely rocks. It's not very easy to build, though... I'd double check all my connections and be sure that the coaxial cable did not melt when soldering. You might have a short there.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:58 PM
Yhdysvallat, CA, Irvine
Joined Nov 2007
230 Posts
Hey,

a question I mounted my antenna to tripod. What i did is that I drilled a hole to the antenna plate an mounted it there to the tripod using the tripod mount screw. Does this affect my range ?
p3jpaavi is offline Find More Posts by p3jpaavi
Last edited by p3jpaavi; Dec 15, 2011 at 09:36 PM.