HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2009, 08:16 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Mar 2009
305 Posts
Discussion
New to "Twirl"

I've recently started flying RC gliders - electric, slope & DL - and stumbled across the "Twirl" after checking out the LightFlite sight. Several guys are flying the "Bug" at our local school field, but no Twirls. As an old Army Heli pilot this looks like a blast. Heading up to meet Steve from AZ Autogyros in Scottsdale this morning, will do a demo flight and head back to Tucson with Combo Kit in hand. Hope to get the build done for Sundays flying.

This Forum has been very helpful, hope to check in with somemore info and photos when my Twirl is complete and in the air.

Paul
Tucson
helipilot67 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot67
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2009, 09:00 AM
Suck it and see
Cromer, North Norfolk Coast, UK
Joined Aug 2008
525 Posts
Paul,

The Twirl is the most forgiving and good natured 'gyro of its size. Once you get used to using throttle in place of (or to supplement) elevator, you will smile every time you fly it.
I built my first with big foamy wheels on to tackle the flying site we had at the time, and it still flew like a dream. I also increased the motor downthrust from 5 deg. to 10 deg! - still flew well.
Some folk on this forum have built it with no winglet, the rotors being suspended with CF rods, and they also fly well.
Build to the plan and you cant go wrong.

John
Norfolk Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Norfolk Flyer
Old May 01, 2009, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2006
100 Posts
Twirl may be the best beginner autogyro ever designed

The wife and I went to an electric fun fly in Phoenix in November of last year. Steve was there from the Autogyro Company of Arizona letting just about anyone fly his Twirl demonstrator. After I had a turn, Steve took Linda my wife out to the pilots station, got the Twirl into the air, handed her the transmitter, then walked away! It was at least 5 minutes before she realized she was flying all by herself! Linda had flown gliders, and electric sailplanes, but never felt comfortable enough to even try an autogyro. Needless to say we went home with a combo kit and her Twirl has over 70 flights without damage! She is getting better at landings, and building a lot of confidence in her ability to fly R/C. I have flown both wingless single rotor gyros and winged twin rotor gyros. The wing and extra rotor increases the stability of the Twirl without detracting too much from the autogyros unique abilities. I also find I can see it much better in flight too, relieving that "which way is it going" syndrome. Al Foot really "hit the nail on the head" when he came up with the Twirl!
RandyW is offline Find More Posts by RandyW
Old May 05, 2009, 01:58 AM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
Hello Paul,
Just in case you haven't had the opportunity to notice this thread;
Twirl information galore! , I added it here to help you out. Good luck with it! If you have problems, the answers are in this forum. Al Foot(The designer) is logged in often, and is more than helpful as I've observed.
Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member