SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2009, 03:35 AM
Team Hitec
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,063 Posts
Help!
Ultra micro indoor flyer plans needed (still need plans!)

Okay, so me and my friends bought a few Palm-Z flyers by Silverlit today from the LHS on sale for $6!

Well, we had some fun, trying to get the things to fly well, but they would either turn one way, or head for the ground in a rush.

So now I am in need of a decent sized airframe to use the palm-z motor/rx/battery/rudder with actuator unit. There is only about 7" of wire running to the actuator, so a short fuselage would be needed, and the airframe can't be heavier than 10 grams or so, otherwise there wouldn't be enough power to climb (or would there?).

I tried to build a small model tonight, but sofar, all I'm seeing is wasted materials, because it doesn't seem to want to fly well (beginner scratchbuilder with no plans ). It's 10 grams, and seels like it has enough power to cruise around, however I'm after something with a larger/wider wingspan that would float like a feather, such as in this video:

Super light RC indoor planes (3 min 19 sec)

Yeah, I know it's 1.45g, but I'm not after something that light. Just something that will float similarly

Anyone have any plans for a small stick and tissue (seran wrap) model that's easy to build, and fits the requirements?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Last edited by Xpress..; Aug 24, 2009 at 01:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2009, 06:46 AM
Beijing, China
Joined Nov 2006
1,223 Posts
Billy Stiltner's Square 9 is a great design:

http://www.geocities.com/billy_stiltner/plans.html
reylf_gnijieB is offline Find More Posts by reylf_gnijieB
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:45 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Xpress,
I've been thinking along the same lines as you.
How did you learn the weight of the plane in video?
So if you know that do you also know the WS or approximate wing loading?
Slow flight is all about wing load and drag, as you know.
The Vapor is one ounce ft*2 and I'd like to get slower than that.
What are your thoughts on that?
Billy's sq.9 looks great...maybe scaled up 25%.
Palm Z gear would be lighter than Vapor brick.
Regards,
John255

John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:24 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,144 Posts
Exactly what I had in mind here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=low+budget
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Aug 15, 2009, 06:11 PM
Team Hitec
Joined Oct 2007
21,063 Posts
^That's like PERFECT However, I don't have a micro heli tailrotor motor/prop I can use. Any chance of it being able to be powered with the palm-z gearbox/prop, just reversed around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John255
How did you learn the weight of the plane in video?
It says 1.45g AUW in the video description
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:29 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
Robster,
Thanks for coming in with your great slow-flyer.

Now that you've had it a while do you have thoughts about what you would do different if building another one?

I too used produce bags to re-cover my Vapor and it only increased weight less than one gram, however since then I've found Saran Wrap to be lighter than produce bag, and Esaki tissue almost half the weight of Saran, so I'll probably go with tissue.

Now looking for a NonoHawk Jet at a good price.

Thanks for sharing your build.
John255
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:19 AM
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
^That's like PERFECT However, I don't have a micro heli tailrotor motor/prop I can use. Any chance of it being able to be powered with the palm-z gearbox/prop, just reversed around?

It says 1.45g AUW in the video description

Absolutely, it will fly with the palm-z motor/gearbox. It will be a little heavier and chatty, but it will have more thrust. I would suggest going to about 16" wingspan to keep the wing loading down if using said motor/gearbox.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:37 AM
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255
Robster,
Thanks for coming in with your great slow-flyer.

Now that you've had it a while do you have thoughts about what you would do different if building another one?

I too used produce bags to re-cover my Vapor and it only increased weight less than one gram, however since then I've found Saran Wrap to be lighter than produce bag, and Esaki tissue almost half the weight of Saran, so I'll probably go with tissue.

Now looking for a NonoHawk Jet at a good price.

Thanks for sharing your build.
John255
Hi John255,

I've come to realize that produce/garbage bag liner plastic varies quite a bit. Some are heavier than others. I'm very lucky that the stash I have on hand is much lighter that Saran or tissue.

Funny you should ask about building a another one, I've been thinking about building a new one (the cat got to my old one ) but this time going all out with OS film covering and Plantraco micro gear. This would be crazy slow and very easy and controllable to fly without the IR range limitation. Just need a little time and money.

But as far as bang for the buck, this plane flies incredibly well with the Nanohawk jet gear!

Rob
Old Aug 16, 2009, 01:05 AM
Team Hitec
Joined Oct 2007
21,063 Posts
Welp, pretty much trashed my little palm-z motors and such, so now i'm just about out of parts. I just need to get something micro sized that I can fly indoors. Any sources for sub micro actuators and power systems (OTHER THAN plantraco) ?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 06:15 PM
Team Hitec
Joined Oct 2007
21,063 Posts
98% success!!

Welp, I finally made a flyable plane

It's a bit bulky at 9 grams though, and am wanting to lengthen the nose a bit to make the CG work better. Also, the gap between my elevator and TE of the wing is only a couple inches

Hopefully lengthening the nose will allow me to push it back and still fly properly. Right now I've got a little 0.5 gram weight under the nose to balance. Sofar, it has flown all of 10 feet Need a larger space to be able to fly it.

Also, I'm working on another one, lighter, bigger wingspan. This one I had to take pieces of balsa and slice them in half to make them small enough to be useable. Going to need to run to the LHS to grab some balsa, and hopefully make something ~5 grams
Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:30 AM
Team Hitec
Joined Oct 2007
21,063 Posts
Hey guys, I'm still in need of plans

Anything out there that can utilize a slow flyer pusher setup? I've lengthened the motor/actuator wires on my palm-z unit, so I can push the receiver/battery forward

Oh yeah, and what material was used on the planes in the above links?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:39 AM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
did anything here intrest you?

http://www.aatoolbox.no-ip.org/
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:06 AM
Team Hitec
Joined Oct 2007
21,063 Posts
^I had a look around, and didn't find any plans for any of the planes.

Looks like i'll just have to make a few more planes.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:53 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,064 Posts
I also recommend the Square 9 in post #2. Very easy to make. Just need some balsa and tissue paper. You can mount the motor in pusher setup or flip the propeller and motor wires to mount it up front in tractor configuration. Mine flew well but not very slow. Scaling the plans for a little more wing area might slow it down.
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Aug 24, 2009, 08:28 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Xpress,
I agree with Mega. You can't find a simpler plan that the Sq-9.

I stretched the original drawing 50% increase on the Xerox which gives close to 14" wing.

That should give the wing loading that Robster found to be a very slow flyer.

All I need to do is find time to get started.
Good luck on yours.
John255