HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:00 AM
Proto morlock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2008
146 Posts
Discussion
BBCC 2 KK Lysander Jim_the_Sane

Putting my hand up for the 2nd Balsa Builders Conversion Contest.

The contest thread

I'll be building the Keil Kraft Lysander, converted to 3 channel rc with UM gear. The plan and printwood are conveniently available on Outerzone.

Let's see:
- short nose? check
- half of bugger all wing area? check
- fond childhood remembrances? Actually no. I never liked the KK kits, with their printwood that was either rock hard or the consistency of cheese.

Should be fun.

Jim_the_Sane is offline Find More Posts by Jim_the_Sane
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:09 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,500 Posts
Fond memories of this kit (and I actually converted one to the Delanne version) but as usual with all my KK kits, flight times were measured in tenths rather than seconds. They all looked good to my unsophisticated eyes though, and hung round my bedroom ceiling for ages.

Best of luck!
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:53 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
What a neat, looking plan.

I live about 15 minutes from the Smithsonian Museum's National Air and Space Facility just outside Washington DC. They have a Lysander hanging in a prominent position.

I've not photographed that particular plane in detail, but I certainly can, if you need pictures.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:18 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I think it's gone now, as a museum, but the Strathallan Collection in north-ish Scotland had. 'Lizzie' back in the 1980s. First impression was 'Its beepin' enormous'. Second was that it must have been designed by a committee!

I too bodged the KK kit up as a kid.

Good luck with the project, Jim

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:04 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Sub'd
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:56 PM
Proto morlock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2008
146 Posts
Thanks for the offer David - the photo you've posted is actually a pretty useful shot of the flaps and slats, which I'm thinking of adding.

The instructions state "Try not to exceed an all up weight of 1 1/2 oz" I wonder how many managed it?

It's my target weight too. I have RC gear to add, but don't have the silly plastic "cowl" and heavyweight prop to deal with.

On the subject, how far can I modify within the rules? I'd like to go the built up route for the taifeathers to try and save a bit of weight.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
The goal is the conversion... any reasonable change to achieve a flying model is acceptable. I think a built up tail is perfectly reasonable. I say that as long as one can see the "genealogy" between the prototype and your conversion, you comply with the spirit of the contest. I'd say that, when you do deviate, it's worth a short discussion and, perhaps, a photo or two; so your deliberations are recorded in the spirit of helping some other modeler in the future.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:39 PM
Proto morlock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2008
146 Posts
so I've actually been busy already...

Fuselage structure done over the weekend. I took some weight out of the formers while building, and probably should have taken more. In fact, you could easily lose a former and a third of the stringers in the tail.

The landing gear wire went in last night and involved bit of a deviation from the plan. I tweaked the shape and bound it to the former with thread and polyurethane (I was impatient and could'nt find the epoxy)

According to the plan, the wire is fixed in with a couple of stringers only. I doubt that would hold up to my landings, plus gets in the way of where I want to mount the UM brick.

So, a photo. Apolgies for the phone camera quality

Total weight so far: 3g (I'll be keeping a tally)
Last edited by Jim_the_Sane; Mar 11, 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Speeling
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:01 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,032 Posts
Progress

Jim,

Nice work.......you seem to get into "build-mode" like do.....must be the CA fumes.

So I hafta know.....is that onion skin spread over the plans ? It has become my
favorite covering.......It's cheap, it's strong(er than tissue), it's smooth...and it shrinks drumhead tight....

How big is this bird ? Electric ? 2S/4S ? 2-3-4 channel ?

Like to watch other builds........Any new skill will help......mine were all developed during the Jurassic !

Calm winds

O_P
Old_Pilot is online now Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fane AOP - circa 1941
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:18 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Okay, I'll ask the stupid question. What the heck is 'onion skin'? I've seen mention of it before, but never knew what it actually was.
Other questions. Will it print like tissue and how much heavier than lightweight Esaki is it?

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:56 AM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Okay, I'll ask the stupid question. What the heck is 'onion skin'? I've seen mention of it before, but never knew what it actually was.
Other questions. Will it print like tissue and how much heavier than lightweight Esaki is it?

Pete
Good question.....
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:02 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know. Makes me feel heaps better about it.
Another question then. You say it shrinks 'drumhead tight', is that too much for lightweight structures? Even lightweight Esaki will distort thin wing ribs once water shrunk.

Pete
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
It's paper that is 9 pound weight, or less.
I recently bought a roll of 8-lb paper from amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Bee-Paper-Sket.../dp/B004KPLL0Y

This, from Wikipedia
Onionskin or onion skin is a thin, light-weight, strong, often translucent paper. It was usually used with carbon paper for typing duplicates in a typewriter, for permanent records where low bulk was important, or for airmail correspondence. It typically has a 9 pound basis weight, and may be white or canary colored.

In the typewriter era, onion skin often had a deeply-textured cockle finish which allowed for easier erasure of typing mistakes, but other glazed and unglazed finishes were also available then and may be more common today.

Onionskin paper is relatively durable and lightweight due to its high content of cotton fibers. Because of these attributes and its crispness when folding, onionskin paper is one of the best papers to use for advanced paper airplanes. Paper airplanes made from onionskin paper tend to fly very well due to its low weight and high integrity once folded.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onionskin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:21 PM
Heads up...
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up David.... I once new an elderly man that used to say "he" had "Onion Skin"...
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:49 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Now I'm even more puzzled. If all it is is thin paper, how does that relate to covering models and it shrinking well?

Pete