HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:12 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
Thanks guys. It's Krylon Shortcuts using heavy paper masks and Krylon Easy Tack to hold it down while painting. I had to do some touch up on the wing. The airfoiled wings are hard to get a good paint line for me. Frog tape works ok but I use paper templates because its much quicker than all the tape. I'll try slightly thinner paper or something next one. On the wing anyway. Flat EPP is no problem
with fairly heavy paper.
I just got back from flying this baby and man it's a sweetheart. I used 35c 800 packs on the Hacker with 8 x 4 DD prop. Definately flys heavier than an indoor Mx2 for sure but great outdoors. It will slow down and harrier just fine but will also eat up some sky when you punch it. I got 7.5 minute flights on 800 mah. My 3 cell 450 nanotech's are just up to the 11 amp draw. Anyway, knifedge is very true. Snaps are clean. Just a really nice flyer! It does fly lighter with the 3s 450 pack but short flights for me. In a more confined space you might want the lighter packs. I have the 1.9 lb foam and it is very rigid. NO tail twist I can tell and very crisp on the controls. I did my gear like the 42 inch models by making a plywood H shape and glued it in a slot in the fuse. Gear just shoves up in there and can be removed easily. It you want a foamy that flys like balsa and has a little heavier wing loading for outdoors this would be it. It could be built light but I have 2 flat wing MX2's for that already. ....now to get my backup ordered.
Jerry Brown is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Brown
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,867 Posts
Video!
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
I'll try to get one if I can get someone to hold a camera for me!
I'll have to weigh it. A couple ounces more than my 1.3 lb flat plate MX2 but I will check for sure later.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:17 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
With NO battery the flat wing MX2 is 7 ounces and the Airfoil is 9.2 ounces. I flew it a lot at the KC Huckfest yesterday in 10 to 12 mph winds and it did fine. Sure not a light indoor foamy but great outdoors to me. It will do anything you can throw at it. Very crisp flyng. I also bought my backup!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:54 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
just got back in from running out a 2 cell and 3 cell 850 pack. It actually flys ok on 2 cells but 3 cells makes great power on the Hacker A20. The 850 packs give my a solid 7 to 7.5 minutes of flying. I have some 460 3 cell packs on order but I sure like the longer flight times.
I'm using 35C packs right now called ProPacks from rcplanebuilder. You could centainly build this plane much lighter by going with 1.5 lb foam, smaller motor, 2 cell smaller packs, and no gear if you wanted to. My goal was to get something with about the same wing loading as the other profile planes I like to fly like the 40 size Sabre and Mojo so it would make a good smaller area practice plane for my side yard. So far, this works just great.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
AND here's a great part. NO wing or tail flex....absolutely none! Doing a straight down dive and then put full elevator and the plane just stops. No flex and very predictable.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:22 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
Here a crummy video I took from my iPhone stuck in my pocket. Great sky and lighting but missed parts of the flying. Not a total loss. You can tell some of the performance.

I wanted to share something on Photobucket with you!

See the fullsize version at: http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share

Jerry
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
I think you can hear some gun shots in the background. I am not really getting shot at. Our field is next to a gun range. At least I hope I was not getting shot at!
Last edited by Jerry Brown; Sep 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:44 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,337 Posts
I'm pulling the trigger on one of these!!
Ducati Mechanic is offline Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:33 PM
Fly lower!
West Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,391 Posts
Jamie Hicks & EPP airfoil MX2 & B-29 FiFi

Here is a video of Jamie Hicks flying the airfoil EPP MX2, at the CAF Airpower Museum, located in Midland, Texas.

We actually had FiFi, the B-29 in the background, which was way cool.

Dennis Robbins (aerolite)

EPP MX2 airfoil & B-29 FiFi (2 min 19 sec)
aerolite is offline Find More Posts by aerolite
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,867 Posts
Good flying. Sure seems quiet with the hacker on it.
Mike
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
Yep, flys like an Mx2!
Old May 17, 2014, 11:17 AM
The wing is the thing
Great Bend, Kansas, United States
Joined May 2004
609 Posts
Here is a couple of MX2's built and painted by Eddie in Hays KS. The green one is mine. I am really enjoying this plane. Flies like a dream.
RANSWrench is offline Find More Posts by RANSWrench
Old May 19, 2014, 11:15 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,867 Posts
Sweet paint!
Mike
Old May 23, 2014, 09:51 PM
The wing is the thing
Great Bend, Kansas, United States
Joined May 2004
609 Posts
Might see them both at Riverfest. Pretty sure Eddie will be there with the orange one and I'm hoping to make it with the green one.
RANSWrench is offline Find More Posts by RANSWrench