HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Jan 2002
88 Posts
Hi Grimbeaver,

I can confirm what Jim says. The REVO BAG doesn't accomodate the PL6 or PL8 with an MPA. We do, however, sell a larger bag, PN: REVOBag-Trans. This bag is designed to carry a transmitter, but it will accommdate the PL6 or PL8 with an MPA nicely, with a some room to spare for additional adapters or a lipo or two. I hadn't actually thought of the transmitter bag for this use until I read your post and I checked it out. I think we will modify the product text on the site to specify this. Here is a link on the REVO USA site to the REVOBag-Trans, http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...nsmitter-Bag_2

As for the bare wire MPA, we have stock at the REVO USA site. If you are looking at the REVO Singapore site, it is out of stock and more inventory is scheduled to be available next week.

Jamie Marks
REVO USA
Jamie Marks is offline Find More Posts by Jamie Marks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:36 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,205 Posts
Thanks maybe I'll give that a try. I was looking at Singapore because I needed a few lipos. But if it's available in the US I'll have to check if it makes more sense shipping wise to order from there.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:52 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Marks View Post
Hi Grimbeaver,

I can confirm what Jim says. The REVO BAG doesn't accomodate the PL6 or PL8 with an MPA. We do, however, sell a larger bag, PN: REVOBag-Trans. This bag is designed to carry a transmitter, but it will accommdate the PL6 or PL8 with an MPA nicely, with a some room to spare for additional adapters or a lipo or two. I hadn't actually thought of the transmitter bag for this use until I read your post and I checked it out. I think we will modify the product text on the site to specify this. Here is a link on the REVO USA site to the REVOBag-Trans, http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...nsmitter-Bag_2
Sweet
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:42 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,042 Posts
Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the MPA over the daisy chain parallel boards? I am undecided which way to go when I order my PL6.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:36 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,034 Posts
I own two PL-8 units, each with its own MPA board.

I prefer the MPA board because of the individual fusing (power side is fused, balance side has re-settable fuse-links).

I run mostly 4S - 6S 5000mah batteries and two at a time as I run 8S - 12S birds.

I feel very comfortable with all the protection built-in the MPA boards.

Just my $0.02.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using the MPA over the daisy chain parallel boards? I am undecided which way to go when I order my PL6.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:44 PM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
207 Posts
The MPA is such a clean and neat solution. If you're an organized person who likes neatness, you'll want the MPA over the individual boards.
BVH is offline Find More Posts by BVH
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:35 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,532 Posts
If you buy six daisy chained boards you will spend more than the cost of an MPA.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:14 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
If you buy six daisy chained boards you will spend more than the cost of an MPA.
.......and you haven't even started buying the fused main leads yet......
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:41 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
I think it really depends on how many packs you plan to parallel charge at once.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old May 09, 2013, 03:05 PM
Heli Pilot
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Tim,

I am trying to get the mpa board connected to a hyperion 1420 and have a couple of questions.

As I will never be charging more than a 6 cell pack, I wired the balance interconnect to use only the A balance connect on the Hyperion Charger. I wired the pins starting with negative on both sides 1-8. However when testing everything out using a 3 cell pack, I am getting a little over 2 volts on cell 1, nothing on cell 2, and 4.2 volts on cell three. Once I plug the mains in, I don't get any reading on any cells.

What am I doing wrong?

MPA Balance end: Wires 1-8 from negative side like this (---87654321)
Hyperion Balance end: Wires 1-8 like this (87654321)

I can post a pic if that would help.
bearclaw is offline Find More Posts by bearclaw
Old May 09, 2013, 03:10 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
I can post a pic if that would help.
Please do. That would make it much easier. HiRes pic of both ends of your cable, please.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2013, 03:27 PM
Heli Pilot
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Name: IMAG0036.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 173.1 KB
Description:

Name: IMAG0037.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 131.5 KB
Description:
Old May 09, 2013, 03:51 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,095 Posts
Your pin connections at the connectors look good to me. Next step I would take is use an ohm meter and check for continuity pin by pin from one connector to the other (pin 1 to pin1, then pin 2 to pin2, and so on). Verify all pins have connectivity and there are no wires that are swapped.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2013, 04:01 PM
Heli Pilot
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
On it. Wow, had a friend solder the wires, and one was bad. Resoldering now, and will update when done.

Thanks Gregor, sometimes its the little things you take for granted.
Last edited by bearclaw; May 09, 2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: update
Old May 09, 2013, 04:11 PM
Heli Pilot
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
That was it! The wire for pin 2 had a bad solder joint! Gave me all sorts of problems. Fixed it and everything works well, all the way up to 6 cells.

The next thing to tackle is adding the wires to the FMA balance adaptor to hook up bank B on the Hyperion to charge up to 8 cells.