Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:11 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Ya Out of Stock, you should be getting between 75-85a and 1700-1900w, depending on timing and battery. So it's probably battery problem. What timing are you running your esc @. Also heat on the esc shouldn't be to much of a problem if it has adequate air flow, as my esc temp on that setup is warm. Also what size connector are you using 4mm, 5mm, 6mm?
i've no idea where the esc is set at. bad move i know (considering it was purchased used). what should i set it at?

should i do the cut outs for the NACA ducts? or is that just a bunch of rubbish?
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:39 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,290 Posts
Whistling sound..... the motor I would think.
Otherwise maybe some airflow path aspect. Some slot/hole fluking being a 'whistle', LOL.

To confirm factors properly you would have to test your combo on a bench. To get a baseline of what it IS capable of. But you need a (make up) a test bench for that.

Just done in the plane you have to guess things. Maybe the battery alone is a shortfall.
Maybe the ducting is notably limiting it. A battery is easy enough to change...if you buy /get one. Ducting.... needs mods - cheaters, re-pathing/shaping - maybe all for nothing if it was not that at all.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,830 Posts
definitely the whistling is electronic as i've heard it before on my 30cc (electric). im going to check my esc settings.

v8 i believe the speedy was already at default however i restored to default anyways. heres what my settings are.

brake mode: off
battery type: lipo
cut off mode: soft cut
voltage protection: middle
start mode: normal
timing mode: 5
governor mode: off
pwm frequency: 12khz
reserved #1: 0
beck voltage: 5.25v (red wire disconnected)
reserved #2: 0
lipo cells: autocalculate

if there are any values i should change let me know. chris
Last edited by out of stock; Oct 30, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:32 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,443 Posts
Common noise in outrunners, electrical whine or whistle, Scorpion can be really loud, I would guess your motor is making the noise.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:50 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post
here are some numbers i got this morning.

btw thanks nick its obviously a basic reliable setup to get started. everything was barely warm. sounds great too!

also , the manual states that adding NACA ducts would improve thrust up to 100g. im thinking of doing it but i dont know.

also should i set esc to med/high timing or low?

i hear a whistling sound (coming from motor it seems) that goes with throttle input. ive heard that from my 30cc sbach 342 eflite 160 motor. is that normal?
Your welcome, its not a high powered setup but a reliable and you can eventually go to a higher kv if you feel you need to for a particular airframe.

If adding Naca ducts help then try it out.

On the 1500kv motor I used med /factory 15* or 18.75* the timing just above medium. The HW 100 platinum pro esc has about 8 timings so you will need a HW programmer.

The whistle sound is typical of this motor and nothing to worry about.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Common noise in outrunners, electrical whine or whistle, Scorpion can be really loud, I would guess your motor is making the noise.
indeed its the motor. eflite does it too from what i experienced.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,830 Posts
typically its 200 watts per pound yes? if im settled at 1500w and my ff mirage weighed 4.12.5lbs thats pretty good right? so 1500w /5lbs = 300w per pound is that how it works?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2011
332 Posts
hey guys. i am trying to decide between the 4 esc's. need your input please for use with HK SK3 1600 kv and CS 12

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._125A_ESC.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hless_ESC.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_Logging.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...C_4A_UBEC.html
Torchy is offline Find More Posts by Torchy
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:44 PM
Just an Earth bound misfit - I
Canada, ON, L'Orignal
Joined Nov 2010
1,090 Posts
If you only run 6S go with the K-Force 100. They are a re-badged Hobby Wing Platinum. It's a good ESC for the money.
vanderbrander is offline Find More Posts by vanderbrander
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:47 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchy View Post
I have a number of the top linked ESC running 6 and 7S. It can have issues with the heat sink touching the motor wires (had a few). Best to cut the heat shrink off before using. Remove heat sink then glue to the components with a thin layer of JB weld glue. I usually file some metal away that would be too close to the motor solder joints. If not the heat sink gets close to the cap solder joints if it is slid over (to miss motor joints). I try not to get too much JB weld squishing onto the electrical connections.
The ESC is also best manually programmed with a 2S battery although I have done it many times on 6S. Most of mine came programmed correctly with 6 options but I did get a couple that were basic and only had 4 options. Different programming needed and no option to change timing or PWM.
Haven't tried the second ESC except in an 85A model. My 85A type had high failure rates.
The 3rd one I have bought 4 and only 1 still works, even though they had excellent cooling and never exceeded 100A load.
I would pass on it.
The fourth model I haven't tried.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,830 Posts
^ agreed. thats what im using. pretty reliable. (hobbywing platinum 100a)
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:06 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,873 Posts
1350kV warhead motor: refuses all ESCs...

I hope I will be forgiven bringing this up in the CS12 thread, but there is a lot of ESC discussion going on, and the 1350kV warhead motor is used by some - and there is a lot of knowledge and experience here.

Although I bought the 1350kV "warhead" EDF motor for a Haoye 7-blade or a Change Sun 12-blade I would like to use it now in a super-light handlaunch Starmax EPO Alpha Jet, in the original EDF unit which is a Wemo Midi Fan clone (I had bought a 3126 1300kV motor for thre fan but its diameter is slightly too large for the shroud).

The Midi Fan is a much lighter load so amps should be very low, some 40A at full throttle at 6s, perfect for the 2200mA lipos I want to use. My first 90mm EDF, and it should be a floater with adequate thrust-to-weight ratio.

I was expecting trouble since the 1350kV Warhead is a 14 pole motor, and on 6s in a Wemo-type fan it is rather freely revving, giving the ESC some work to do, e.g., at 26000 rpm the field changes are equivalent to 186000 for a 2-pole motor. So I tried it with the YEP-45 (YGE clone from HK) for which 240000 2-pole rpm are claimed. Piece of cake it should be, but it isn't, tried all timing and PWM settings: At some 70% throttle it starts to have hiccups.
Tried the 80A ESC which comes with the HK Me-163 Komet: After just 1 minute of varying throttle (less than half!) the ESC starts to smoke (and stink!): Then I tried the Suppo / Super Simple 60/70A, 15 timing, 16kHz PWM, the hiccups already start a little above half throttle (would get better with higher timing (it also improved with the YEP when I upped the timing), but I don't think it would do better than the YEP ESC.

What to do? I might get the 1850kV Warhead motor and run it on 5s (it's a 8 pole motor I think), or get a different shroud like that of the CS90 which does accommodate the 3126 motor. The CS90 I bought I want to use in a different plane, the Alpha should be as light as possible, and I suspect that the CS90 wouldn't work so well with the twin 51mm exhausts...
Still, I'd like to know what might cause these problems, the fan is nicely balanced, the motor runs quiet and steady, you notice nothing at 3s or 4s - until the hiccups start (at about 25 amps or thereabouts at 6s)

Thanks for advice and opinions
Clemens
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:13 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
I am using the Warhead 1350 on 7S in the CS fan, I also had some issues with the ESC until I switched to the DLux 120 HV. It was the only one that worked for me. 6s would be fine in a foamy but I really like it on the 7S.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:34 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
I am using the Warhead 1350 on 7S in the CS fan, I also had some issues with the ESC until I switched to the DLux 120 HV. It was the only one that worked for me. 6s would be fine in a foamy but I really like it on the 7S.
Impressive power you get out of this cheap motor! One last thing I should probably try before giving up: Soldering the wires between Motor and ESC - now I have them on a househould item connecting the bare ends of the cables (my dictionary says it should be an "insulating screw joint") - maybe that's not good enough (although it never gave problems so far, and it's a practical method for testing etc. before eventually getting everything to the correct lenght and solder etc)...
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Nov 02, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:17 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,245 Posts
I should also point out the 1350 was 1100kv under load in my post above. Running it in a fan with a lighter load will increase the rpm's, this may be a problem for the ESC.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash