Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:51 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,614 Posts
Got the 'Mm' hangin' hi & proud out at our (club's) County Fair booth yesterday - 1st one up.

We had an absolute deluge hit about midway thru the chore. Last job I'd ever want, I saw some guys doing: assembling a ferris wheel - a BIG one, while lightning was dancing all around the fairgrounds. \_(?)_/ Oh well - whoever said carney workers were sane??

After finishing, I came back home forgetting to take some pix to show. When I got back out there last evening for the opening, looked like about 5 others decided to hang their planes up there too, & my poor ol' Shiny Girl was just about buried! Gonna be havin' a little talk with someone before we open today.

I'll try to get some shots, if I can find enough clear air to get some light in up there! -- & post 'em up later.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:13 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,460 Posts
Still waiting for the winds to calm down here so I can have a fly again of the moa and dlg.
Have just ordered a tiger moth from hobby king 912mm wingspan, hope to get it in the next couple of days to give me something to mess about with, looks a bit of build and needs a few mods but should be good once it's all sorted.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25287
I'm hoping I can get my smaller a123 packs to work in it, should be nice and relaxing just like minimoa, I might even take both down to field.
Forcast is looking a bit better for saturday so hoping for some flying then.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,460 Posts
Actually had a whole day yesterday of flying weather, spent ages with blaster and found lots of thermal to climb!
Took minimoa out this morn and had a 40 mins, and 57 mins flights, not bad!
Back to rain rest of week now though so on with the tigie tomoz.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:53 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,614 Posts
Finally got a couple shots of the Mm 'hangin' out' at our County Fair booth. Had a hard time figuring out the metering in the bad fluorescent lighting so, not the greatest shots but "you get the picture" *heh*
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Saturday I had a 1 hour 10 min flight with the Moa. Six power climbs on the 2650 mah left 850mah in the battery. I've got my cg currently at 65mm. Started at 43mm and boy does she fly better now. Last night I stuck one of my 1500mah batteries all the way forward(where I currently have the 2650 mah) and the cg comes out at 73mm....I'm very nervous about being that far back, but given how much better she's been flying as I move the cg back I'll do it. I also look forward to the much lighter overall weight... Should be into real floater territory...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:37 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Finally got a couple shots of the Mm 'hangin' out' at our County Fair booth. Had a hard time figuring out the metering in the bad fluorescent lighting so, not the greatest shots but "you get the picture" *heh*
Starhopper,

The Minimoa sure is a beauty. Even hanging still it conveys the impression of flight in progress.

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Saturday I had a 1 hour 10 min flight with the Moa. Six power climbs on the 2650 mah left 850mah in the battery. I've got my cg currently at 65mm. Started at 43mm and boy does she fly better now. Last night I stuck one of my 1500mah batteries all the way forward(where I currently have the 2650 mah) and the cg comes out at 73mm....I'm very nervous about being that far back, but given how much better she's been flying as I move the cg back I'll do it. I also look forward to the much lighter overall weight... Should be into real floater territory...
RT,

You are going through the same revelation a friend helped me through on the Moa. He was an expert DLG (discus-launched-glider) pilot and was very keen on finding a minimum sink CD. We pushed the CD back bit-by-bit until the plane was clearly tail-heavy, then brought it forward into "floater" territory. The Moa is a great floater and quite pleasant to fly. I crashed mine a couple of month ago due to a sudden windstorm, but had many hours happy flying prior.

FYI I currently have two foamy gliders, a hotliner, one DLG that is being repaired, and a new DLG on the way. I love soaring and consider it to be the most refined and rewarding part of the RC hobby because you are interacting with Mother Nature rather than just flying through.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
RT,

You are going through the same revelation a friend helped me through on the Moa. He was an expert DLG (discus-launched-glider) pilot and was very keen on finding a minimum sink CD. We pushed the CD back bit-by-bit until the plane was clearly tail-heavy, then brought it forward into "floater" territory. The Moa is a great floater and quite pleasant to fly. I crashed mine a couple of month ago due to a sudden windstorm, but had many hours happy flying prior.

FYI I currently have two foamy gliders, a hotliner, one DLG that is being repaired, and a new DLG on the way. I love soaring and consider it to be the most refined and rewarding part of the RC hobby because you are interacting with Mother Nature rather than just flying through.

Regards,

Jackson
I'll second that Jacson, glad to here you are getting another dlg too, which are you getting? Go for 1 cell lipo if your rx will allow cause its awsome, I can fly for well over 5 hours if I ever wanted to!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:02 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
I'll second that Jacson, glad to here you are getting another dlg too, which are you getting? Go for 1 cell lipo if your rx will allow cause its awsome, I can fly for well over 5 hours if I ever wanted to!
Nigel,

I am getting the LightHawk IV made by http://www.rcbuilder.com/. This will complement my LightSpeed III made by the same guy. The LSIII is currently being repaired and the LHIV is scheduled for completion in October.

Nice to hear from you.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,083 Posts
deleted, wrong post.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Nigel,

I am getting the LightHawk IV made by http://www.rcbuilder.com/. This will complement my LightSpeed III made by the same guy. The LSIII is currently being repaired and the LHIV is scheduled for completion in October.

Nice to hear from you.

Cheers,

Jackson
SHould be fun, got out yesterday with blaster as winds were strong but coming up little hill so managed a few 8 min slermal flights lol.
Got my hk epo tiger moth all together now, it was not the easiest of build and quite a few problems but all sorted now just need some weather to fly it in( and some very short grass or a path up in in the park maybe). The flying wires were a bit of a challenge as I've not had to use them b4 but they work well holding the 2 wings rigid without any spars in them.
Take care Jackson have fun!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:54 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the update. I was out today at the flying field with my Mustang, Bucker Jungmann, and FunJet. Had a great time. Also flew my Dynam PBY at the local lake this evening.

Look forward to your flight report on the EPO Tiger Moth.

Thermal soaring season is winding down here. But there should be plenty of good ridge soaring through the winter. One thing we never seem to lack is wind in the winter.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:31 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,460 Posts
Sounds like your getting plenty of flying in Jackson, I just got the tiger taxiing on my drive yesterday was the closest I came to any kind of flying-too windy again lol.
This morning is calm but raining at the moment but by the time I get Emily to school and get back it's usually got windy again but if not and rain stops I will try out the tiger in the air.
Thermals are winding down here too but it's surprising sometimes even in winter you get some thermal activity and it can be fairly strong too - it's just that standing around for hours in a cold wet field is not as nice as a hot sunny day!
My M8 Mark has finally given up flying now, I suspected he was getting bored by the way he kept buying new planes and then selling them a week or so later having only flown them once or twice-he's selling everything not that he has much left just a glider and his controls really and a charger, he has been put off this year by the very poor weather and the poor state of the field meaning that take off and landings are near impossible and gliding has been mostly unrewarding.
I keep trying with my blaster when the winds are right and at least then I can make the most of it with my batt that lasts forever.
But I must admit it's getting harder to get motivated, I just hope that next year the field is cut by someone else who will do a better job and the winds come up the little hill more then once every 2 weeks! Otherwise I will either have to get a second car so I can go find a better flying spot when the missus is at work or find another hobby.
Wednesday I was flying my blaster in the rain as every time I went down it started so I hid under trees waiting for it to stop which it did not so I went home, after doing this 3 times I decided just to fly anyway lol.
OH well!
Happy flying all!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the update. Sorry for all the lousy weather this year.

What is the "Tiger" that you refer to? Is this a scale or sport plane?

I will be flying my Mustang, Bucker Jungmann and Sea Vixen at the "Warbirds over the Rockies" event tomorrow.

Sincerely,

Jackson
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Mar 2011
177 Posts
Sure Jack! Go have fun this weekend while I sit in N.Y. with a broken transmitter see ya soon
FokkerD is offline Find More Posts by FokkerD