HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2008, 03:08 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Question
V-tail mix on sub

Now that I'm moving into a next phase yeah I'm trying out the Revell 1/72 Type VII and going for more than two channels, I've got a question! I've searched, just to much hits to get a real objective "that's it idea" and put it on radios but haven't got a reply yet, maybe it's because I put it with airplane guys, dunno Here goes....I know that a v-tail mix not only allows you to turn your rudder, possibly you can mix the elevators as well as your motors to make tighter turns but does it also hold in that on straight runs it synchronizes motor speed? Or is this just asking to much and wishful thinking? The question rises out of the fact that I've got two slightly different motors to put into the sub, two mabuchi type RF365 SA and SH taken out of hairdryers. If somebody could explain the v-tail thing in regard to this I'ld be very thankful, appreciative, obliged and no I'm not willing to give money Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2008, 05:01 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
For the Type VII since it has a convential tail (rudder and stern planes) the V tail mixing will not work.
You really want to use matched motors since a difference in RPM will cause the boat to steer to one side causing it to not run straight.

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old May 19, 2008, 05:03 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Check out www.subpirates.com there are plenty of sub gurus over there.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old May 19, 2008, 05:16 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,458 Posts
Unless you are using two ESC, there will be no way to sycncronize the motors.
Twin throttles on the transmitter become problematic. In that you end up synchronizing the motors manual. Even then, fiddling around with trims and sub-trims on the transmitter won't sync up the motors if it requires running one up faster than the other to get a match.

For rudder and propeller speeds people have been succesful at using mixers.
I'm not sure when it comes to mixing two ESC...
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 20, 2008, 03:33 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Thanx!

Thanks Steve I thought as much but then again we tend to say to ourselves "oohh it won't be that obvious!" until we see it of course I thought that as in boats if you have two ESC you could use the v-tail thing. Having in fact 3D with a sub you could let it handle as a plane, or so I thought

gpzy that's my next stop for the question if nothing comes out here! I've checked them already out in regard to a lot of things of a sub, stubbornly enough I tend to do things more my way using what I've seen and read and of course that what could be explained logically.......but then again I find that this place here is more friendly, so I try it here first

Umi, but but I will be installing two ESC's Are you telling me that the posibility is there? OK I did think of the trim thing but I thought more that a certain type of radio could/would do the job like kinda auto

Thanx so far you guys Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old May 20, 2008, 06:56 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
901 Posts
Pkboo Set your radio up in elevon mode and put one motor on elwvator and the other on aileron and it will mix ok, but as far as sync I think you are out of luck. Might look at setting the channels up in master slave with some EPA on the faster motor to compensate, should be an interesting project and you may learn some new curse words before you get it worked out.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee