HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:57 AM
Westbender
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2005
325 Posts
Discussion
Request for new sticky?

I did some searching in the existing stickys for information on tap connector identification and could not find what I'm looking for. Would creating a sticky to organize this specific information add any value to anyone else? It would to me. It would be nice to easily find identification (photos, measurements, etc.) of all the known tap connectors, the brands of packs they're installed on by manufacturers and vendors, as well as diagrams and instructions for creating custom adapters.

Charles, I know you've posted some excellent information in the past and have been kind enough to repost the links to those threads on occasion. I take it you have these threads handy yourself. Any chance you can submit these threads as a starting point for this new sticky if the mods agree to create it?

Thanks.

By the way, I'm looking for information on the the small white tap connector on a new Apex pack I just bought. I can easily identify how it's wired, but I need to know the connector type so I can get the mating connector to create an adapter for my LBA6.
Westbender is offline Find More Posts by Westbender
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:05 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
This subject / request has been brought up several times. I have mixed feelings about Stickies. They take up front page space and IMO are not really used that much by the ones who need them the most.

My idea of the perfect Sticky would be a single Stickey at the head of each Forum which would contain Links to the appropriate Threads. I have never understood the present formate but then I am not the Sites' creator/ owner so what do I know.

The Battery Graph Vault is a Sticky. My section (post) in the BGV is #4 and at the very top is a very prominent link to my Balancers and Adapters post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...70&postcount=4

FYI : If one goes to the first post in a Thread and uses Ctrl F (Find) very often information is much easier to find.

Perhaps this is the one you are looking for.

http://2dogrc.com/ecommerce/os/catal...oducts_id=1937

also check here

http://www.commonsenserc.com/index.php?cPath=32_39

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 21, 2006 at 09:34 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:36 AM
Westbender
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2005
325 Posts
Thanks Charles. I believe that is the connector I'm looking for. Is there a recognized name for it? I found some references to the "Align connector" in my searches. The description on the vendor's website you posted indicates this works on Align LiPo packs.

Also, thanks for redirecting me to your post regarding adapters and connectors. I now have begun organizing my favorites to keep track of all the good informational posts that are not stickies here.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:36 AM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Tap Connector adapters

[QUOTE=Westbender] It would be nice to easily find identification (photos, measurements, etc.) of all the known tap connectors, the brands of packs they're installed on by manufacturers and vendors, as well as diagrams and instructions for creating custom adapters.

Thanks.

http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=45&nid=4

http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1214.pdf

Please add to your collection. Several adapters for various packs are in stock or coming soon. The manual for the tap connector pigtails should also be helpful.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:25 PM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Stickies are ignored for the most part. It's way too easy to post a new thread asking a question that has been asked and answered many times over. Luckily, there are kind and patient souls out there willing to answer these questions ad nauseum.

The "will my taps from x battery match with y battery and how do I make an adapter?" is the new "which lipo is the best?" and worthy of a sticky. Then, at least when people ask, you can just post a link to the sticky.
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:18 PM
dst
Santa Clara
Joined Aug 2005
598 Posts
Maybe we should have a poll about this. In the mean time, my vote is to make it a sticky.

dt
dst is offline Find More Posts by dst
Old Apr 21, 2006, 04:24 PM
Westbender
West Bend, WI
Joined Nov 2005
325 Posts
Yes, I think a sticky similar to the battery vault would really be nice as a handy reference. A compilation of specs for each tap connector type including photos (front and back), measurements, pin numbering and assignments (by vendor if they differ), etc.

If someone wants to create a poll, I'd vote for it too.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:14 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,407 Posts
I wish you had a sticky with proper disposal method for lipos. When I search I get a lot of answers or reports which don't sound very safe.

Pat
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:04 PM
Vampowered!
Crestview Florida
Joined Dec 2003
1,817 Posts
Pat....sounds like a very needed sticky.
Basically we need a thread that states that any unstable lipo...be it under voltage, puffy, mishaped etc. be disposed of in a very safe way.
The best and proper way to dispose of an unusable lipo is to render it zero voltage by soaking it in a saltwater solution for 2 days. 1 part salt to 10 parts water is fine. Once the pack has been verified null....it is safe to dispose of by regular refuse means. It is landfill safe then.
I checked with the local agencies to verify this.
Vammy
Vamooska is offline Find More Posts by Vamooska
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:13 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Problem is as some how found out that the saltwater soak does not always work.
Disposal instructions need to come with the LiPolys IMO. There are most likely tens of thouusands of LiPoly users who never visit RC Groups.

For those who do:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=1

Quote:
7. DO NOT puncture the cell, ever. If a cell balloons quickly place it in a fire safe place, especially if you were charging it when it ballooned. After you have let the cell sit in the fire safe place for at least 2 hours. Discharge the cell/pack slowly. This can be done by wiring a flashlight bulb of appropriate voltage (higher is voltage is ok, lower voltage is no) up to your batteries connector type and attaching the bulb to the battery. Wait until the light is completely off, then throw the battery away.

Charles
Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:26 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
I keep posting this over and over - salt water baths are not a safe way to discharge lipos.

I know this from first hand testing on more than one occation with more than one pack.

The pack may read zero volts after a day or two in the salt water - BUT that is because the aluminum tabs have been erroded away (electrolysis - not the hair removal kind) and you no longer have a continous circuit.

The packs may very well still contain large amounts of energy and still be very dangerous.

Use a light bulb or some other method to discharge packs prior to disposal.

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:13 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Larry it seems that the saltwater soak is just like the 2.4V per cell LVC setting. Old recomendations that will just not go away. The Sticky has been changed as per my snip. and Thunder Power's Safet Sheet states:

Battery Life

Batteries that lose 20% of their capacity must be removed from service and disposed of properly.
Discharge the battery to 3V/Cell, making sure output wires are insulated,then wrap the battery in a bag for disposal.

There are recycle centers where they can be turned into.

Charles
Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:56 AM
Permanently Banned
Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
Joined Sep 2003
8,434 Posts
Here is a picture of cells from two different packs I disassembled after they had been sitting in salt water for over 3 WEEKS.

Note that none of the + tabs on any of the cells are still there. Every single one of the aluminum + tabs were completely gone when I took the packs apart.

Ignore the condition of the center cell. I melted it with a blow torch after punching holes in it to see what would happen. Lots of sparking but no flames.

However - if you look closely at the two outer cells you can see discoloration on the cases. That is where the cells got hot when I punchured them. Very hot. This was after 3 weeks in salt water bath - they still had enough energy in it to melt the lipo covering when I punched holes in it with a nail. Lots of sparking too. When I put them back in the salt water they bubbled like crazy - partly from the heat and partly from the electrical action. I am talking rappidly boiling water with steam. They still had a ton of energy in them.

Salt water baths do not work to discharge lipos.

Larry
Larry3215 is offline Find More Posts by Larry3215
Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:59 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,400 Posts
Fred Marks came up with this idea to puncture the swollen cell with a pin and then soak in saltwater to de-activate the chemicals. If you are foolish enough to poke the cell with a pin the water will work but neither is safe nor necessary. I've never seen a manufacturer recommend anything but a safe discharge and disposal in the garbage.
Thanks Larry for making sure this idea dies.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old May 07, 2006, 09:37 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,607 Posts
I was under the impression that the battery should be totally discharged, then punctured with a non conducting implement(plastic etc) and then soaked in salt water. The salt water is to neutralise the chemicals not discharge the battery.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45