HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2014, 02:28 PM
Joined Aug 2014
108 Posts
Help!
umx radian max voltage

i am working on a project using a receiver from my radian and was wondering if i used 3 tipple a batteries at 4.5 volts if the receiver would handle it
I do have the rechargeable bateries that are 1.2v each which would be 3.6 if the reciever can handle the extra voltage i woul rather use the 3 1.5 batteries
just for fun lol
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2014, 08:08 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
673 Posts
The single cell Li-Po battery in the Radian and other airplanes is 4.2V when fully charged. It is lightweight.
Three tripple A (AAA) alkaline battery cells are about 4.8V when new but they are much too heavy for any airplane.

Three Ni-MH battery cells are about 4.2V to 4.6V when fully charged and they are also too heavy for any airplane.
Audioguru is online now Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Nov 09, 2014, 08:29 PM
Joined Aug 2014
108 Posts
i flew my champ with allot of weight on board. i also notice a huge difference between 25c and 45 c i installed a radian receiver and motor in my champ and built an ultra light fuselage for it . also experimented with adding fishing weights to see how much weight it could fly with . i have also flown it in 16mph winds( not kidding) at least that's what the forecast was saying . i tried the wing magnet mod with some pretty large magnets and an 808 camera it didn't fly so well but still flew. i want a volt meter but until i get one i have no way of checking these things for myself . the lipo batteries don't really seem to last that long. just thought if i had a lighter then normal champ it could handle the weight i can fly for a while with 3 triple a batteries i have 3 umx radians. i thought I would run this question across the forum before i burnout an expensive receiver.
also i noticed when using the charger from the champ or the usb charger and flying the airplanes as is with no mods the motors don't seem to last to long neither do the batteries
Old Nov 09, 2014, 08:30 PM
Joined Aug 2014
108 Posts
i will give it a shot later this week when the sun comes out and its in the 70s again.right now its in the 60s cold and rainy
Old Nov 09, 2014, 08:54 PM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Oct 2011
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ferret View Post
the motors don't seem to last too long neither do the batteries
The motors in these single Li-Po battery cell airplanes have tiny brushes that wear out soon.
There is a brushless motor upgrade with speed control made for a helicopter that a few people have installed in airplanes.

Some battery brands are good and others are bad.
Audioguru is online now Find More Posts by Audioguru
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:09 PM
USA, NH, Bow
Joined Jun 2007
390 Posts
For the record 3 enercell aaa batteries weigh in at 34g
My 808 #16 weighs 19g
I have flown my umx radian with that + a 5g battery and it felt badly overweight but flew ok.
I am thinking 34g is going to have trouble getting enough lift.
bobbutts is offline Find More Posts by bobbutts