HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2014, 05:54 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Aug 2014
61 Posts
Discussion
30A ESC for 23A Motor?

I need guidance. I ordered six motors for a hex that I'm building from scratch. The sales ad says the motors draw 23A each, so I ordered 30A ESCs with surge to 35A. When I received the motors, the pamphlet, in very confusing English, said to use 40A ESCs. It was not real clear, as it seemed to recommend 40A ESCs for all the motors covered by the pamphlet. So if the motor is rated at 23A, am I OK to use 30A ESCs?

Thanks!
Maxheadspace is offline Find More Posts by Maxheadspace
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2014, 07:54 PM
Wisconsin
United States, WI, Hayward
Joined Jan 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxheadspace View Post
I need guidance. I ordered six motors for a hex that I'm building from scratch. The sales ad says the motors draw 23A each, so I ordered 30A ESCs with surge to 35A. When I received the motors, the pamphlet, in very confusing English, said to use 40A ESCs. It was not real clear, as it seemed to recommend 40A ESCs for all the motors covered by the pamphlet. So if the motor is rated at 23A, am I OK to use 30A ESCs?

Thanks!
For a 23amp peak motor the 30amp ESC with 35 amp burst has adequate headroom. As far as the confusing pamphlet I am confused
mike_kelly is online now Find More Posts by mike_kelly
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2014, 02:41 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxheadspace View Post

Thanks!
You'll possibly get spikes over 35amps, but you should be fine. I prefer to have a good bit of headroom over the motor's full throttle draw, but it's not a necessity.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Nov 02, 2014, 10:24 PM
Wisconsin
United States, WI, Hayward
Joined Jan 2012
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ View Post
You'll possibly get spikes over 35amps, but you should be fine. I prefer to have a good bit of headroom over the motor's full throttle draw, but it's not a necessity.
I suppose it depends partly on how you fly. If you are racing mini quads and pushing the esge all the time you might want more headroom than if you are hovering doing Aerial Photography most of the time.
mike_kelly is online now Find More Posts by mike_kelly
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined Aug 2014
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ View Post
Thanks! A little peace of mind.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 08:23 PM
Joined Aug 2014
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly View Post
I suppose it depends partly on how you fly. If you are racing mini quads and pushing the esge all the time you might want more headroom than if you are hovering doing Aerial Photography most of the time.
Nah, seldom have the throttle wide open. It's aerial photography for me.

Thanks!