SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2004, 02:14 AM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
why close a thread because of fighting?

This is one I have never understood. Why do all of the *other* people who have subscribed to the thread have to pay for the transgretions of 2 people who fight? Why can't we just ban the 2 fighters?

I realize that the software used might not enable this. I'd just like an explanation. I'm sure a LOT of people would. I will refer those who ask to this thread - I hope others will do the same.

Thanx, Jim!

Brad Kacer
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:38 AM
Fun Manager
Villa Grove, Illinois
Joined May 2000
1,695 Posts
Hi, Brad! I can answer this one....there are 2 reasons.

1) As you state, we can't lock a single person out of a thread short of locking them out of the site;
2) Even if we could, other folks tend to jump in, get worked up, and add fuel to the fire. If the discussion is valid, folks are VERY welcome to re-start another thread and continue the valid portion of the discussion, and many do. If the discussion was really over anyway, then it is better left alone than continuing "yeah what he said" types of posts.

Thanks for taking the time to ask your question and share your concerns!

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Fun Manager
RCGroups.com
AMCross is offline Find More Posts by AMCross
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:03 PM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Yeah, it's a problem. I know which thread you are talking about, and it was unfortunate that it was somebody who was new to the Ezone who started it - I hope they aren't put off.

Maybe when a moderator locks a thread he could make it clear if the person who started it isn't to blame.

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Apr 25, 2004, 06:28 PM
Dismembered Member...
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcba
Yeah, it's a problem. I know which thread you are talking about, and it was unfortunate that it was somebody who was new to the Ezone who started it - I hope they aren't put off.

Maybe when a moderator locks a thread he could make it clear if the person who started it isn't to blame.

Matthew
Actually, it has happened in a number of threads that I have followed. I wasn't being specific here.

IF someone is childish enough to indulge in bad behavior, I would have no problem with them being "locked out" of the site. Frankly, I wish the moderators WOULD asssign blame to the parties involved (although that is pretty easy to guess).

I realize that Mr. Bourke is trying to run a family friendly forum here, and I respect his wishes. It just seems to me that letting one or two bad apples close a thread spoils it for everyone.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Brad Kacer
Old Apr 25, 2004, 06:45 PM
Fun Manager
Villa Grove, Illinois
Joined May 2000
1,695 Posts
Brad,
Thanks for your input. There are very specific steps taken by the moderators to deal with inappropriate behavior that I won't detail here.

Many threads ARE continued where folks are advised of their behavior and it stops there. Other times, the moderators just don't feel that has had sufficient effect and the discussion has 'degraded'.

Our moderators are an amazingly hardworking, loyal, helpful team of volunteers who do a fantastic job for us. This site couldn't possibly be what it is today without them. So, while their actions may sometimes seem 'over the top' to someone only seeing what is going on in one place at one moment, please rest assured that there is TONS going on in the background and they are doing their VERY best to keep the site as a whole running fluidly and cleanly, and in as close to the ideal family-friendly state as possible, even if it might mean a minor distraction to a discussion now and then.

Thanks for listening!

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Fun Manager
RCGroups.com
Old Apr 25, 2004, 07:46 PM
Dismembered Member...
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
AnnMarie: I think I had the pleasure of shaking your hand in Toledo (Weak Signals show). If it wasn't you, I offer my apologies to the lass whose hand I did shake.

Two things stand out in my mind. The first was seeing Dave Hederick slapped down (and the thread shut down) for inappropriate behaviour. I didn't see it myself. In fact, I cannot fathom why it happened. I agree that your moderators work incredibly hard to keep the forum "family friendly", but they are only human. They carry their own personal biases and axes to grind. I just wish I could remember what that thread was about. Dave is probably the most level headed guy I know of in these fora.

Second point. I did get an email back in my early days in this forum. It opened my eyes to the fact that I couldn't use *detrimental* language (yes, I was a bad boy - emphasis on the WAS). Yet I have seen others post words worse than I used. Most of these postings are old, and I respect the fact that you wish to keep thread continuity. It just seems that some of the moderators have a lower threshold of what is *bad* than the others do. Perhaps the moderators need a "list" of banned words. I guess it would be slightly ludicrous to post a list of banned words in a "sticky" - heh heh.

I really like RCGroups, and will continue to cruise the fora for all of the info I can stuff into my little head. I offer a big THANK YOU to both yourself and Jim B.

Brad Kacer
Old Apr 25, 2004, 08:33 PM
Fun Manager
Villa Grove, Illinois
Joined May 2000
1,695 Posts
Hi, Brad! Yes, I would be the lass. Pleasure to meet you in person!

As you say, folks are only human and, in fact this very forum is in place so that if a moderator does make a mistake or use poor judgment folks can come to myself and, if needed, to Jim, to resolve those issues. So we do our best to provide a reasonable outlet and to keep the discussions open and honest.

Thanks again for your continued input.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:36 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Brad, first, thank you for your kind comments. I think I know the thread you're talking about. It was probably the most unusual situation I've had happen to me in my 4+ years here, and I got quite a few PMs wondering what was going on. But those are the kinds of things that keep life from getting boring.

It really is an intriguing concept to think about having the ability to lock troublemakers out of a thread. That's really much more civilized than shutting down a thread. Of course you'd need the right software to do it. But I really think that if troublemakers saw threads going on without them being able to participate that it would have a bigger impact on them than when the thread is closed and everyone is locked out.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich