SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2004, 07:13 PM
Got Micro?
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Mar 2004
196 Posts
3 dollar foam space shuttle

Any chance, converting this to RC. It is a space shuttle epp foam glider with catapult launcher. The stabilizer is made out of depron. I got it from Micheal's arts and crafts
aeropete is offline Find More Posts by aeropete
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2004, 07:27 PM
40%, 5% whats the diff?
Baltimore Greenbelt, Maryland, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,341 Posts
Is it big enough for you to retro fit a small gws ducted fan into it?
That would be cool as anything man.!
TeamSME is offline Find More Posts by TeamSME
Old Mar 21, 2004, 07:34 PM
Got Micro?
Joined Mar 2004
196 Posts
I don't know anything about fans, but there is 2.4 inches of space wide and 2 inches tall at the end of the plane. it could be easily enlarged though. The wing span is only 10 inches though. Will that work? Forgot to mention, wing is an airfoil from how I see it.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 08:34 PM
Got Micro?
Joined Mar 2004
196 Posts
If there isn't any fans small enough I am going to mount a cooler fan on a 280 motor. I heard the fans are powerful. I am going to try free flight first. What would the center of gravity be though. Where to put the battery? Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 08:41 PM
Panama City, Florida
Joined Jul 2003
289 Posts
how about a edp-50 mounted on the vert. stab?
kf4mot is offline Find More Posts by kf4mot
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:03 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
cool project! imo, this just begs for an ips direct drive with a small prop, setup as a pusher, elevons, and mount the battery up front.

how big is it? dunno about strapping a fan unit...
Foam Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Foam Crazy
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:12 PM
Got Micro?
Joined Mar 2004
196 Posts
The plane's length is 12 inches and wing span is 10 inches. It may be small but it glides very well, and very high. It is an airfoil also so that makes it even better. So, what is better a fan or a propeller?
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:39 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
At 10" WS there are no more than 35 sq. " to work with. That is 1/4 sq ftoot. A one ounce model is 4 oz/ft, a 2 ounce model is 8 oz/ft. That doesn't give you must room to work with. Want does the foamy weigh out of the bag?

ps. Is it solid foam or hollow. Can you show us the bottom?
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Last edited by Mike Taylor; Mar 21, 2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:56 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Another Idea would be to find one of those Foam airliners and Piggy back it up a ways and then Drop it. Have Someone else Glide it back to earth for you.

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:03 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
holy smokes, that's small! then, i'd say definitely nothing more than an ips direct drive and super micro gear on everything. a fan looks cool, but on a wing this small, it may be just dead weight. generally, ounce per ounce, a prop outdrives a fan unit, in our e-hobby.
Foam Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Foam Crazy
Old Mar 22, 2004, 02:50 AM
Austria [Europe, no Kangaroos ;-) ]
Joined Jan 2003
170 Posts
Hi.

I was looking for a plane like that a few years ago when I played with water rockets.

Put radio gear in it, build a water rocket from a PET bottle and a launcher (Gardena connector or cable tie launcher), hook the glider to the rocket and you have a semi-scale space shuttle.
Flight time is a drawback, just a few seconds...

Erich
Erich Preitler is offline Find More Posts by Erich Preitler
Old Mar 22, 2004, 03:34 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
498 Posts
Erich

You have any plans for that water launcher you're talking about ?

Or a site with plans ?

Thanks !
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:38 PM
Joined Sep 2003
423 Posts
Find an electric 747 for the launch bird. Make a scale tailcone like Enterprise used in glide testing. Install a 3 channel Rx with those 4 gram servos. Launch at 150 feet in no wind conditions.

You are not going to be able to see this bird at any higher altitude and any drive system will make its flight speed a blur. It has not the wing area for its profile. Drag will prevail.
Weisse Luft is offline Find More Posts by Weisse Luft
Old Mar 22, 2004, 06:47 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,481 Posts
i have one of those and i made the bay doors open so i could put the radio gear in the cargo bay and i found that it needed some reforming on the TE of the wing to fly level and not try to pull up and stall (as mine tryed to every time) i figured on using a rffs-100 and the 2 cell mod with a gasparin gear drive a 3.2:1 it should work.

Derrik
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Mar 22, 2004, 09:22 PM
Got Micro?
Joined Mar 2004
196 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions,
Well, the plane is full not hollow, too answer you question mike, and the bottom just goes along with the shape. Since it is epp it might be a little more heavy. I was thinking of puting a pager motor with a very small three blade prop at the front of the plane and try like a free flight test with just the thrust from the motor and propeller and small battery. If it works i''l maybe add some rc to it.

Then if that doesn't work I will just do like a piggy back type thing and fly my almost(not yet)electric rc converted, 5 dollar, 4 ft 1/2 wing span, Great planes sailplane(almost exact like the walmart one but very strong yet light epp) that I also got from Micheal's arts and crafts. The way i am going to trigger the shuttle is by doing a rubber band type thing to the sailplane and adding a one channel micro car part to release the trigger. If all comes well, I will post a video. Or maybe a crash if that's interesting.