HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2004, 03:46 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Working radar construction question.

I wonder if someone have any suggestions for an working radar application for my Smit Rotterdam tug? Motor/gearbox assembly is allready solved. My problem is to connect the two radars without visible shafts. The space is limited because its scale. Im sure someone have built this tug before and maybe has some ideas about how to do.

/Yngwie.
yngwie is offline Find More Posts by yngwie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2004, 04:28 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,402 Posts
Fine gauge piano (22g) wire running in a curve? Through a few plastic guide tube bearings?
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Feb 28, 2004, 09:41 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,458 Posts
Small pulleys and a belt leading to a motor in the mast.
All set under, or inside the platform.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Feb 29, 2004, 09:19 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
The pulley/belt idea will be the best for now. But what do I use as a belt? Rubberband? Must be very small.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 11:22 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,458 Posts
Look for some o rings at the Hardware store.
An old cassette, or micro cassette recorder may have what you're looking for also.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Feb 29, 2004, 02:41 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,103 Posts
I like Umi's idea. A single shaft up the mast with pulls extending out to the radar units. These units will rotate at different rates. I believe that the smaller one will rotate at 1.5 times faster than the larger one.
A dissassembled cassette player or old answering machine may have the geared rubber band. Also All Electronics cares gears and cables at time.
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Last edited by Tachikaze; Mar 01, 2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2004, 10:41 AM
Johnstown, PA
Joined Feb 2004
87 Posts
I think you'll find O-rings too stiff for this application, but the belt-and-pulley idea should serve well with the right kind of belt.

I don't suppose you can buy radio "dial chord" anymore? If not, a heavy braided nylon chord (like squidding line) should be effective. On radio dials, they used to put several turns on to avoid slipping... with the radars constantly turning in one direction, multiple turns would cause a tangling problem. A single loop around the pulley should give you enough purchase and you could add guides to keep the line from tangling.

Rubber bands would work really well, but they wouldn't hold up real long and it would be a real pain to replace them.
Al Stein is offline Find More Posts by Al Stein
Old Mar 01, 2004, 12:06 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
155 Posts
Thank you guys! I had made an antenna mast of EverGreen plasticard instead of that grainy wood and added some scale touch to the radars and I even succeded to made the pullys of plastic. I can now decide the size of the pulleys and in that way made them to rotate in different speeds.

The parts in the picture may seems a bit roughly and blocky, but I will trim them of after the construction is set. The radarantennas next to my plastic antenna mast, is the brass ones from kit. Just for show how bad they look.

I did some overkill to the "radarmotor" (Candy lollipopmotor). I put some small ballbearings to every bearing points for super smooth running, and it sure runs smooth now.

/Yngwie.
Last edited by yngwie; Mar 01, 2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 01:45 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
I wanted to suggest that you could ues small servos, and disable the POT, easy to do and you could adjsut speed and direction of rotation easily, plus you could stop and start them remotley
AustinTatious is online now Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:50 AM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
766 Posts
I have been using the old camcorder zoom/focus motors. There are tons of old ones at swap meets and garage sales. Usually get 2 per camera. Very nice with quiet o ring belt drive or sometimes gears. Run mine on 2 to 6 volts depending on desired radar speed. The motors usually have different ratios. Also used one for an anchor winch on a small tug.

DH
CaptDH is online now Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old May 11, 2004, 05:00 PM
Stowmarket, Suffolk, UK
Joined May 2004
1 Posts
I've used an old servo with the pot removed on my Perkasa, speed of rotation is fine and I can control it remotely
JohnR is offline Find More Posts by JohnR