SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by UBILDIT, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:35 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Mini-HowTo
RC Taxidermy... going too far???

Well,
It's been a while since I've made a blog entry, but I think this one is worth doing. Working at a Hobby Shop I've been presented with a great number of planes that simply don't need to fly again. For that matter, I've created a great number of planes that don't need to fly again, but that's not the point.. the point is..now I have a way to keep the plane alive almost forever.... well, part of it anyway.. I think that I'm probably not the first one to do this, but I may be the first one to do it and enjoy being creative with it!.. Who knows...
I like to call it RC Taxidermy. Mounting and preserving what's left of your favorite plane when it's simply beyond repair. In both of my first two examples, it is the tail section that survived mostly intact and then I realized that with a few magnets and a little creative paint and glue, I could create an illusion that the plane had just hit the roof of my car or gone through the side of a door. What a great way to mark your car at an event or even just at the club field. Or if you're like me and sometimes fly in large public areas, you can attach an Estes rockets parachute to the tail and have an instant wind sock.. So here are my first to attempts.... outside the hobby shop they have both received many long hard looks and even some close investigation.... (by guys only...no women...big surprise there). If anyone is interested, I can be a bit more specific about the materials I use and the type of magnets.. etc... The large T-34 with Darth Vader at the helm was difficult as it was much larger than the foam tail of the Flyzone FW190 and it's weight alone...at the angle I wanted to mount it made it a real project... but I'm happy with the results. Hope everyone who reads this enjoys the funny idea of keeping your planes... even when they're dead... LOL..

Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:03 PM
Angels Camp, California
Joined Jan 2006
922 Posts
Very cool

I like 'em!
LannyG is offline Find More Posts by LannyG
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:07 PM
Break, fix, fly, break again
United States, PA, Royersford
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Nice! You have inspired me! I have to do it. lol
SkyPirate67 is offline Find More Posts by SkyPirate67
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:46 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
That's some funny stuff, Bo! Very cool!
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:06 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
dude! Those are awesome man! I think you may have outdone yourself this time. Guess I'll have to go crash a plane just so I can bring it to you so you can make me one!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:22 AM
ABMwithastick
United States, MD, Upper Marlboro
Joined Nov 2012
20 Posts
going to go crash one today! awssome idea
hosigard33 is offline Find More Posts by hosigard33
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:52 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,945 Posts
Beautiful! What a great idea!
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:03 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Wow..

Thanks for everyone's nice comments... It just seemed such a shame to throw away a perfctly good tail .... lol..
and Laine... if you send me one for taxidermy... you won't get it back until I get my 4 EPP Eagles.... hint hint..

Building Materials: If it's a larger model like the t-34 it needs a base to stay upright in the wind. Bluecore or 10mm Cellfoam as a base, rare earth magnets in strategic places... and the opaque looking skirting around the outside is Aileens tacky glue. You have to stick the plane to some wax paper or in my case an un-used piece of ultracote and go around the bottom with the tacky glue and let it dry for about a day or so. You can then peel it right up off the wax paper or ultracote and it gives it a nice visual depth as well as keeping the foam from being seen or damaged by weather.

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Now I have the perfect excuse for when I crash a plane at the field. "I meant to do it...need it for a project"...lol
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBILDIT View Post
Thanks for everyone's nice comments... It just seemed such a shame to throw away a perfctly good tail .... lol..
and Laine... if you send me one for taxidermy... you won't get it back until I get my 4 EPP Eagles.... hint hint..

Building Materials: If it's a larger model like the t-34 it needs a base to stay upright in the wind. Bluecore or 10mm Cellfoam as a base, rare earth magnets in strategic places... and the opaque looking skirting around the outside is Aileens tacky glue. You have to stick the plane to some wax paper or in my case an un-used piece of ultracote and go around the bottom with the tacky glue and let it dry for about a day or so. You can then peel it right up off the wax paper or ultracote and it gives it a nice visual depth as well as keeping the foam from being seen or damaged by weather.

Bo
Thanks for the info becuase I will def be doing this. I certainly have enough broken parts to use.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:32 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
474 Posts
Been there, done that

You're right about re-purposing! I augered my MiG15 a while back and this highly modded version rose from that wreckage like a phoenix from the ashes. It has its advantages...
  • No more overheated LiPo's
  • No nasty surprises with handling characteristics
  • No touchy CG issues
  • Lands with a satisfying "thud"
  • Gets all the looks at the flying field
  • Depending on your throwing arm, will fly higher and glide longer than the hand-launched stock airframe
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:21 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Yaaaahhh!

Now that's re-purposing at it's best... the Brick Mig... and decorative too!! Lol.. Awesome..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:19 PM
J. Titors Gr Gr Grandpappy
Charlotte,NC
Joined May 2005
2,033 Posts
If you would like to get the girls to "check it out" may I suggest you crash one of these...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...14599&page=165
Sonofagun is offline Find More Posts by Sonofagun
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2x0
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:27 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,603 Posts
LOL, it's crazy stuff like this that helps keep me coming back.. Just perfect! I can't wait until I try this out at the field. Anyone have a plane I can borrow?

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:36 AM
ABMwithastick
United States, MD, Upper Marlboro
Joined Nov 2012
20 Posts
re-purpose and re-use I love it.
hosigard33 is offline Find More Posts by hosigard33