HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2014, 01:30 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,777 Posts
It goes like this: While testing a new firmware on the BTOA, I had just put my phone in the right hand jacket pocket without the jacket's zip done up. As I launch, the phone fly's around and hits my transmitter pulling up elevator before switching off the transmitter. The plane does a tight loop and at the bottom hits the ground flat, breaking the nose into multiple pieces. The wing, boom and tail seemed fine.

After fixing the nose I flew the plane for several days until the right wing folded on a mild throw. It seems there was some separation on the top surface near the servo pocket that started it failing. I was able to land the plane so there was less damage than going straight in.

I should have inspected the wing more closely after the initial crash. It's likely the separation would have shown with some flexing. It looked just fine.
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:34 AM
Joined Sep 2012
61 Posts
Hey!

First of all i want to give my deepest apologizes to extremewing, and especially to mgallian.

Richard, i think you hold height record with Stream , congrats!
Some news :
We decrease fuselage weight to 30-32.5g (lightest was 29.5g ! ), moreover we reach this with some additional aramide reinforcments in canopy area.
Another new is that we start using new spread tow fabric for wings and tails . No weight difference , but surface quality and strenght is a little better. Check the pictures to compare Small but lovely difference .
Stream is offline Find More Posts by Stream
Last edited by Stream; Dec 11, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:35 AM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2013
1,335 Posts
Gorgeous new wing! Glad to see more progress being made in construction.

How light is TOO light for a fuselage? Do the new fuselages with the lower weight have the same strength as the heavier ones? It seems like they might be more fragile.
DrewV is offline Find More Posts by DrewV
Old Dec 11, 2014, 04:22 PM
United Kingdom, Hertfordshire
Joined Sep 2014
50 Posts
I like the Stream fuselage at the moment. Lighter fuselage would be good, as long as the fuselage is still easy (rigid enough) to hand toss.
One of the things I dislike of the Snipe fuselage is the ultra thin fuselage under the wing. That makes it difficult to hand toss and prone to damage of holding it too tight.
AlexxH is online now Find More Posts by AlexxH
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:28 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,915 Posts
Lighter fuse is hardly necessary. My 1st Stream from Laurynas finished out at 228 grams RTF. This is a BIG airplane for that kind of weight. I'm usually flying it with 20 grams of ballast in it anyway unless it's truly flat air. One thing I've NEVER worried about is the strength of the airplane. The Stream is very strong where it needs to be.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Dec 13, 2014, 03:46 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
865 Posts
Last competition of the session today and another victory with the Stream.
I used it in 3 out of 5 rounds in the competition.
The air today was not the easiest, with 4 to 5 m/s winds and light thermals.
Had to fly very precisely to climb well enough for a safe return.
I flew the Stream with only 25 grams and didn't miss my time on any of the flights I used it in (3 of 6, last flight, last two flights).

Love this plane!

Roy
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Dec 13, 2014, 04:36 PM
Joined May 2013
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor View Post
Last competition of the session today and another victory with the Stream.
I used it in 3 out of 5 rounds in the competition.
The air today was not the easiest, with 4 to 5 m/s winds and light thermals.
Had to fly very precisely to climb well enough for a safe return.
I flew the Stream with only 25 grams and didn't miss my time on any of the flights I used it in (3 of 6, last flight, last two flights).

Love this plane!

Roy

Interesting layup. Was this before the all-carbon wing was developed, or was it custom just for you?

Which plane do you prefer overall, the Stream or the Vortex? Do they fly similarly, or do they perform better in different conditions?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 05:22 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
865 Posts
I usually fly my D-box wing Stream in competitions (270 grams after repairs), it is an older wing, before the full spread carbon (Vlad) wings came out.
I like it mostly due to visibility.
I also have a full spread carbon model at 240 grams which I fly mostly in light winds and light conditions, even though it's strong enough for wind, and a full carbon spread tow 60 at 285 grams which I fly in windier conditions in during practice.

I have very little time on the Vortex so too early to tell what are the strengths of each model over the other. Vortex seems to launch a bit higher but I haven't put an altimeter on the model yet so it might be less than it appears (optical illusion due to wing chord and wishful thinking...)
In light conditions, the Stream out floats the Vortex, but that may be due to my experience with the Stream and being able to fly it better. But the Stream does appear to have a slightly lower sink rate, maybe due to wing loading.
The Stream signals air best in roll, the Vortex in pitch.
In capable hands they can both win contests.

I'll be able to do a better comparison once I get more stick time on the Vortex. However, I can already tell you I've ordered another Spread carbon Stream to replace one of my older Streams and I plan to use my Streams in the world championship in 2015. I have a lot of confidence with the model and love the performance. I can throw it pretty well and will trade 2-3 meters of altitude of those high aspect ratio wings for some handling and thermal signaling of my stream any day.
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Dec 13, 2014, 05:31 PM
Joined May 2013
1,335 Posts
The tighter weave spread tow carbon for the new wings looks amazing. I'm tempted to grab one of those myself. There are just too many great models out there nowadays to make a decision.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:55 PM
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Mar 2012
235 Posts
I just got 2 Streams and LOVE these DLG. Both of them have a micro connector that connects the AL leads to the RX. 2 into 1. I think both wings were built by Oleg. Question, where can I get these connectors? They are the perfect size!

Thanks for any guidance in locating these connectors.

Cheers,

John
luv2flyez is offline Find More Posts by luv2flyez
Last edited by luv2flyez; Dec 15, 2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:32 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
Pictures are good...
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:57 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,446 Posts
Are they single or double row?
Here are all kinds of connectors suitable for the wing harness
http://hansenhobbies.com/products/co...1inconnectors/
olgol is online now Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
235 Posts
Hi Oleg,

They are tiny gray 4 pin single row connectors. Thanks for the link!

John
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:18 PM
RV7guy
Chandler, AZ
Joined May 2004
464 Posts
Miniatronics

I have been using the Miniatronics 4 pin on HL and my 2 meter competition planes for years. They are very tiny. You can see the 4 pin is only 1/4" wide. You do have to tape them after connecting. The tiny size makes them ideal for HL.

Here's the link.

http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant...ategory_Code=4

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
dnbarrie11 is online now Find More Posts by dnbarrie11
Old Dec 16, 2014, 04:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
235 Posts
These are the ones! Thanks!!