Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Help!
Recommend me the Best Bang for my Buck

Hello.

I'm looking to go 2.4ghz with my tricopter, supercub, and glider. I dont have tons of planes, and I'm looking to fly not much greater than LOS or 1/2 mile (whatever is greater). My tricopter is set-up for fpv, but I dont plan going miles with it. Ideally atleast 6ch and with a programmable throttle curve.

I am currently debating getting a radio that will accept the frsky module, like a hitec optic 6, or futaba 9c, or going all out and buying a Hitec Aurora 9. I'm sure the A9 would be the last radio I ever need, but receivers are also expensive for it, and I'm not sure if I would use it to it's full potential.
My considerations

- Programmable FM + FRsky DIY module
- Futaba 7c Fasst stock (would this give me the range I want)?
- Hitec optic, or Futaba 9c with frsky module
- All out and buy Hitec Aurora 9

Would a 100$ radio with Frsky module get me the same range/reliability as a Hitec Aurora?

Thanks for any help/suggestions
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Research the JR 8103 , its probably the best brand name radio you can get for the $100 range. And you can pop in the FRSKY JR module.

The 9C is good, but its popularity makes getting a regular 9C costly, and a 9C Super can go for $200 sometimes.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:57 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
Hello.

I'm looking to go 2.4ghz with my tricopter, supercub, and glider. I dont have tons of planes, and I'm looking to fly not much greater than LOS or 1/2 mile (whatever is greater). My tricopter is set-up for fpv, but I dont plan going miles with it. Ideally atleast 6ch and with a programmable throttle curve.

I am currently debating getting a radio that will accept the frsky module, like a hitec optic 6, or futaba 9c, or going all out and buying a Hitec Aurora 9. I'm sure the A9 would be the last radio I ever need, but receivers are also expensive for it, and I'm not sure if I would use it to it's full potential.
My considerations

- Programmable FM + FRsky DIY module
- Futaba 7c Fasst stock (would this give me the range I want)?
- Hitec optic, or Futaba 9c with frsky module
- All out and buy Hitec Aurora 9

Would a 100$ radio with Frsky module get me the same range/reliability as a Hitec Aurora?

Thanks for any help/suggestions
You really ought to (if possible) get your hands on these and try them (from a feel perspective). Some people like their transmitters as certain way. Also, make sure they support they control functions you need for the copters and fpv control (movable camera?).

I went the other way, I went with form and function vs $ but that is just me.

Scott
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:17 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
... Recommend me the Best Bang for my Buck
I like the 30-06 but not sure why you would want to kill your Buck. Also got to add that a strange choice for a pet.

Darn, I just read the title, guess I should of read the entire post before replying.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
Turnigy 9x with FrSky module wins bang for buck, hands down.
Has 8ch and throttle curve.
If you can afford a top end radio, get it, as the 9x firmware is only OK (limited mixes) and really is better if reflashed to ER9x, which requires some re-soldering inside your radio to install.

FrSky is as solid a link as any of the latest 2.4 systems. Claimed range is 1.5 - 2.5km, but I've seen it tested out to 5+ kilometres in the air, on FPV set ups with return to base autopilots. Been using it for two years and never a glitch.
Video of a range test here: http://txrxnews.blogspot.com.au/p/frsky-range-test.html
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:48 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Ok, so basically if I can afford the hitec a9, it is just as good as the frsky modules range and performance? Just want to be sure I'm not missing out on anything going with the aurora over the frsky, other than price.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:46 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,218 Posts
Hi,

Maybe a new or second hand Futaba 8FG / 8FG Super 14 ch (12 proportional and 2 switched on/off). You can upgrade a 8FG with new software Yourself to get 14 ch so it will basically be a 8FG Super.

You can also wait a little until Futaba release their radios with telemetry from factory (FASSTest), only their 18MZ has it so far built in.
You can also use telemetry with existing Futaba FASST radios with an external telemetry-box and a special hybrid receiver very soon (not released yet).

Graupner has nice new 12-MX, 16-MX and 20-MX HoTT 2.4 Ghz radios (one of my flying buddies has a 16-MX, works fine). They have telemetry and many telemetry sensors available (temp, vario/height, rpm, fuel etc). They have also nice wirless trainer system built in.

I use Futaba 14MZ myself.

Good luck whatever You choose.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee