HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:52 PM
UK, Durham, Durham
Joined Jan 2001
138 Posts
Discussion
Winter flying WW1 style

We had a few flights today in the wintery weather in NE England.The pics re of my mate, Euan, his SE5A ,and my 'german(ish)' type
I managed to chop my fingers and catch a tree with my wingtip, but was soon up flying again...we love these WW1 types from Flair...and yes that is spots/streaks of blood in the 6th picture...didn't stop me flying though...blimey, but these 4 strokes can bite!
Graeme Hogg is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Hogg
Last edited by Graeme Hogg; Feb 05, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
I'm not sure how much winter we get at our flying field here in Japan, but I applaud your enthusiasm in refusing to allow mere weather to interfere with flying!
abufletcher is offline Find More Posts by abufletcher
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:24 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,067 Posts
Graham's "german(ish) type" type is well -known on British flying fields, it a Magnatilla, one of the Flair Scout Series. The model is a spoof scale version of the Fokker Eindekker with ailerons! They fly well.

This is my poor effort, (OS 48 Surpass) and "Austrian" colours which I flew yesterday in a very balmy 5 degrees C! (41F.)

We seem to have missed the snow where I live.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined May 2005
1,432 Posts
This was what "winter" looked like last Sunday in Shikoku, Japan! Bright and clear...but still chilly. And this is my
Flair Puppeteer, which now has well over 100 flights on it (and three crashes).
abufletcher is offline Find More Posts by abufletcher
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:49 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,067 Posts
As a little rider to this thread featuring some of the Flair Scout series, I was at the flying field on 26th February with my Magnatilla when another club member turned up with a a Puppetteer which, IIRC, someone's father had built. The owner simply wanted to film the model in flight. In the event he never turned up but our club secretary had a video camera and filmed the first flight. Then we we prevailed upon to re-enact the war over the trenches, not an Eindekker would have met a Sopwith Pup but we didn't need much encouragement.!

We both took off and with two other models in the air we tried to get on each other's tails. This involved a swift glance to see were the enemy was then flying towards that position by which time of course he was no longer there! At some stage we must have been flying towards each other, there was a snick then parts of the Puppetteer broke off including the upper starboard aileron! The Maggy droned on while the Puppetteer pilot successfully managed a forced landing.

There is footage of the Puppetteer's flight on YouTube including a few frames of my Magnatilla. The collision was not recorded but Marvin's forced landing was as well as my own Kangaroo style arrival.

It's exciting being a successful fighter pilot.

This link should get you to the video: [URL="http://youtu.be/83Uj6daj6HM"]
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red