HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:59 PM
Diverted by planks
tracknoob's Avatar
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Finder View Post
I found two options available for the P-51 motor. The motor by itself or a motor and gears combination. Do you purchase just the motor or the motor/gears combo?

Thanks,

Miguel
For the difference in price, I usually decide to just get the combo, but I have replaced individual motors, and it's not hard at all.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:50 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
Some have reported problems with their GB's cracking. I have just bought motors, and been pretty lucky. Only one or two GB's have cracked on me. Might as well get both I guess. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:18 PM
Registered User
karfrik's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
879 Posts
Today got my Champ out after couple months inside the box.Was flying indoors and noticed the motor was going up and down in power/rpm's.Rebinded the plane again plus changed the battery and still the same.Any ideas?Plane have low hrs and almost accident free.Hope is not the brick!!!....any suggestions and help??..thanks
karfrik is offline Find More Posts by karfrik
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Registered User
smitty919's Avatar
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,309 Posts
Picked up a champ today to add to the micro fleet my question is whats the top mods i should do to this little jem....

I already ordered the larger tires now what
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Last edited by smitty919; Jan 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:18 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Jan 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Picked up a champ today to add to the micro fleet my question is whats the top mods i should do to this little jem....

I already ordered the larger tires now what
Throw a P-51 Micro Mustang motor in it; and put a GWS 5030 prop on.
mxandrews1 is offline Find More Posts by mxandrews1
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:38 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
I liked MA batts and a mustang motor and a 5043 prop. Just me. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:50 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Picked up a champ today to add to the micro fleet my question is whats the top mods i should do to this little jem....
Go with the Hyperion 240 1S Lipo, from RCBabble. Up to 24 mnutes in indoor flying conditions, an easy 14 minutes outdoors. Use a foam "blanket" in cold weather. I use the Hyperion 240 on several planes, to include the UM P-51, UM T-28, UM J-3 Cub, and of course the HZ UM Champ. You made a good choice with this plane. Enjoy!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:10 PM
Registered User
smitty919's Avatar
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,309 Posts
how i plan on mounting my key chain camera it might have been done like this be for not sure hey lets hear feed back if you have done it like this and how did it turn out...







smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:19 AM
Registered User
smitty919's Avatar
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,309 Posts
Well went out early to beat the wind but no luck on that lol took a chance and flew the champ anyway and what a great feeling to fly a RC plane again...
Gave the camera a shot and this is the video sorry I'm a little rusty and it was pretty windy so the video is short and not very smoth...

On a side note this was shot with the older version of the key cam think it was a 11 but never the less i ordered the new 808 #16 last night looking forward to its arrival

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/41J6YSW1_QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


micro plane video (1 min 25 sec)
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:18 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Go with the Hyperion 240 1S Lipo, from RCBabble. Up to 24 mnutes in indoor flying conditions, an easy 14 minutes outdoors. Use a foam "blanket" in cold weather. I use the Hyperion 240 on several planes, to include the UM P-51, UM T-28, UM J-3 Cub, and of course the HZ UM Champ. You made a good choice with this plane. Enjoy!!

RD
You can get the Hyperion 1s 240 for $4.95 at All e RC.....


http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-5438.html

As well as other sizes...at a good price...http://www.allerc.com/batteries-lith..._4_93_155.html

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:26 PM
My Champ makes birds mad.
Champflyr's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
You can get the Hyperion 1s 240 for $4.95 at All e RC.....


http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...or-p-5438.html

As well as other sizes...at a good price...http://www.allerc.com/batteries-lith..._4_93_155.html

Ridgewalker
And you say this can work for the Champ and the Mustang? Huh, gotta look into this. How heavy is this, would it slow either plane down, and cause the Mustang to loose its aerobatic capabilities? hope not....
Champflyr is offline Find More Posts by Champflyr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:27 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Well went out early to beat the wind but no luck on that lol took a chance and flew the champ anyway and what a great feeling to fly a RC plane again...
Gave the camera a shot and this is the video sorry I'm a little rusty and it was pretty windy so the video is short and not very smoth...

On a side note this was shot with the older version of the key cam think it was a 11 but never the less i ordered the new 808 #16 last night looking forward to its arrival

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/41J6YSW1_QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>


http://youtu.be/41J6YSW1_QI

Flying is such a good feeling!
Glad your enjoying yourself with the Champ.
With some practice the Champ is a blast in a bit of wind.

Your camera looks like a #3 due to how the time stamp looks.

The #16 is a good cam for the price.
The picture is a lot more clear than the old #3.
And being able to have a light to let you know the cam is recording is nice.
Also being able to adjust in camera screen resolution has been a plus.
Got an old pc,won't play HD video...just set the in cam screen res to 848x840...still widescreen but in SD not HD...so it will play on an older slower pc.

Great little camera...like the Champ...great little plane

Enjoy your Champ!!


Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:38 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
You can fly a champ fine with that 240 hyp batt. But, on a stang, I would go with a 160 or a MA 190. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:46 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Yup,MA's will be the next batteries i get for the brushless Champ.
Either that or a 500 mah Turnigy nanotech...those nanotech batteries i have been using in the super cub have been really good!

Won't be Hyperions though!

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:53 PM
Registered User
smitty919's Avatar
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Flying is such a good feeling!
Glad your enjoying yourself with the Champ.
With some practice the Champ is a blast in a bit of wind.

Your camera looks like a #3 due to how the time stamp looks.

The #16 is a good cam for the price.
The picture is a lot more clear than the old #3.
And being able to have a light to let you know the cam is recording is nice.
Also being able to adjust in camera screen resolution has been a plus.
Got an old pc,won't play HD video...just set the in cam screen res to 848x840...still widescreen but in SD not HD...so it will play on an older slower pc.

Great little camera...like the Champ...great little plane

Enjoy your Champ!!


Ridgewalker
It could be a 3 as it is over a year old but it also has that micro s/d card???
Anyway I did order the new 16 last night On ebay so hope to have that one soon
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article HobbyZone Champ RTF Review dee-grose Micro Ready-to-Fly 888 Dec 01, 2013 01:11 AM
Discussion HobbyZone Champ On-board Video VasMan Aerial Photography 2 Jun 25, 2010 03:47 PM
Alert HobbyZone Champ RTF Group Buy in Middle TN: $87.80 per plane (including tax) PerlAddict Hot Online Deals 5 Jun 16, 2010 07:00 PM
Wanted Hobbyzone Champ pmass23 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 01, 2010 02:17 PM
Video Hobbyzone Champ - Short Glide Video VasMan Electric Plane Talk 0 May 16, 2010 11:01 PM