HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2010, 02:07 PM
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
Build Log
Boeing PT-17 Stearman Semi-Scale Foamie

This is my first post on rcgroups and my design and build log, so any comments (positive or negative) would be very much appreciated.

I have been working on this design off and on now for a few weeks. It is semi-scale version of the Boeing PT-17 Stearman. It is pretty much a replica of the original Stearman, with a few things changed slightly to better adapt it to the RC foamie world.

To start off the design, I selected an appropriate scale. I am interested in using the E-flite Park 400 Outrunner brushless motor along with an E-flite 11.1V 1250mAh Li-Po battery pack as the powerplant. I recently bought, built, and flew the Edge 540 foamie by DWfoamies, and was impressed with its size and weight in combination with the mentioned E-flite components. I therefore thought that I would design my Stearman with a similar size.

Wikipedia states that the Stearman has a wingspan of 32ft, 2in (9.81m), so a 1/10 scale would give a wingspan of 38.6 in or (0.981m) would would be ideal.

So after a little searching, I found 3-D views for the Stearman here: http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/3vues.html

I cut these into their respective views, scaled them all the same, and inserted them into Google Sketchup. I made sure the scale was right by resizing the pictures so that the wingspan was 0.981m (meters is MUCH easier to design in). I then began to draw all of the components.

After much work, and a lot of learning I had the aircraft's design. I then carefully dimensioned everything. I then drew each part of the airplane on 6mm depron using the dimensions in Sketchup and cut out the airplane. I was extremely impressed at how well everything fit together! I then glued everything with hot glue and attached the control surfaces. Some images of the design in Sketchup are posted below.

I will post pictures of the actual Stearman very shortly.

Today, I am preparing the Stearman for First Flight tonight. All that is left is installing the electronics and landing gear. I am posting this in case anyone here on RCGroups wishes to follow.

This will not be my last build log. I have a website in construction which I will design, build and fly RC airplane designs for to post for free online. There will also be a few larger, and not profile, RC airplane designs whose plans will be sold for a small price.

If anyone is interested in checking out the website as it is designed, here is the web address: http://www.eagle-rc.com/

So far, most of the pages are not complete, but should be by the first part of June 2010.

Thanks for your time, and PLEASE let me know your thoughts.

More pictures/video will be posted for the Stearman soon after First Flight is made, then PDF plans to follow in the future!

Thanks,

Eagle-RC.com
Eagle-RC.com is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-RC.com
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2010, 02:57 PM
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
Here are some pictures of the actual airplane. More to come later.

Thanks,

Eagle-RC.com
Old May 13, 2010, 03:57 PM
USA, TN, Fayetteville
Joined Dec 2004
878 Posts
Hmmm I was hoping for a full fuse semi scale... not a profile plane... doh...
madmike8 is offline Find More Posts by madmike8
Old May 13, 2010, 08:36 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,403 Posts
Sorry, but it's yet another very ordinary profile thing to add to the zillions already existing.
A bit of innovation would be good...
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old May 13, 2010, 10:07 PM
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
Here are some photos of the Stearman with the motor, landing gear and electronics installed.

Thanks for the comments, guys. Profile foamies may be common, but you can't beat the simplicity that they offer in terms of building and fixing. They also tend to fly really well.

Eagle-RC.com
Old May 13, 2010, 10:13 PM
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
First Flight was a HUGE success! The airplane was VERY easy to fly, and was extremely responsive to control inputs. I was able to hover easily as well as perform aileron rolls and knife edge passes!

I will continue flight testing it, then will produce PDF plans and instructions for it and upload them.

Eagle-RC.com
Old May 14, 2010, 03:48 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,403 Posts
I guess my beef with this sort of model is that it looks very little like the real plane. Struts and wires are so characteristic of the real thing, as in the un-cowled radial engine, fat fuse and chunky landing gear.. So either find a way to make to look like a Stearman or forget "Stearman" and go for a design where the SFGs, and other things, do not look so out of place.
But perhaps that's just me, others may be more forgiving.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:19 AM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
Plymouth, Devon
Joined May 2007
2,475 Posts
Oh I don't know, it looks like a nice plane, and it flies well. Pretty good for someone's first try at designing and building, and how many guys come on this site with a self designed and built plane in their first post, let alone one that does what they wanted of it? Also, a really strong, light and simple method of building a full fuse is to start with a cruciform crutch and use that to attach the outer skins to.

All in all I reckon you should be proud of your plane and use what you've learnt from this one on your future builds. Keep up the good work.
thewildweasel is offline Find More Posts by thewildweasel
Old May 14, 2010, 09:08 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Nice work in sketchup. I wish I had those skills. Keep 'em coming.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 14, 2010, 03:06 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Eagle RC
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on a fine looking Profile Stearman and a successful Maiden! I am sure all the guys who like to do the fast easy builds so they can get flying fast will love this design.

once you get more involved with sketchup I would love to see a PT 17 with skin on it. I would love to build a full fuse Stearman which is another plane I have yet to find plans of anywhere
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old May 14, 2010, 05:19 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildweasel View Post
Oh I don't know, it looks like a nice plane, and it flies well. Pretty good for someone's first try at designing and building, and how many guys come on this site with a self designed and built plane in their first post, let alone one that does what they wanted of it? Also, a really strong, light and simple method of building a full fuse is to start with a cruciform crutch and use that to attach the outer skins to.

All in all I reckon you should be proud of your plane and use what you've learnt from this one on your future builds. Keep up the good work.
If this was just a first design by some kid, I would not have made any comment.
However Mr. Eagle-RC.com is setting up a Web site where he hopes to generate traffic by offering free plans, like this Stearman profile, and sell plans for more complex models.
He hopes to generate income from advertising, and I wish him well.
I gave him my honest opinion on that basis. I think he will have more success if he does something other than turning out the same old same old...
Old May 14, 2010, 08:07 PM
Joined May 2010
62 Posts
Well I just appreciate all of the comments. There will be many airplanes that have full skin in the future, and I can't wait to get started on them. Right now, I am just getting used to the whole process, so am for the moment doing some easier ones to design, build, fly and fix.

But I am REALLY inspired by some the builds going on here at RCGroups...there is definitely some great work being done!

Eagle-RC.com
Old May 14, 2010, 08:11 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,543 Posts
Ken has put together a series of semi-full/thick profile warbirds. These planes impress me the most of any I've seen here in a long time. He's struck what I think (and for his club) is a great balance between full-scale looks and quick builds.

Good luck with your plan site.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 15, 2010, 02:59 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Great job all around. Nice cad work also.

Regardless of plane size, type, shape or construction it is always cool to go from design to successful flight on something you done from scratch.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to your future designs/plans.

-Buk
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old May 15, 2010, 01:23 PM
Sweden, Västra Götaland, Partille
Joined May 2009
493 Posts
Cool plane!

Calling it Semi-scale is a little much, how about "Profile-PT17".

Painted right, it will still remind you of the Stearman.

Nice work, might try one!

Jim
jimjim06 is offline Find More Posts by jimjim06