HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2010, 02:08 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic but that one looks like it uses a standard PC power cord. Most of the smaller ones do. It also uses two of them it looks like. As far as switching it on, someone else will have to chime in. I have an HP that I have yet to get to power on. One of these days I need to post up some pics and get some opinions.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:24 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,865 Posts
Doubt it. Never seen any with with two input cords. Looks like a standard PC cord connector on the right and a small fan outlet on the left of the front panel with a latch in the center. 560W is well under the 10Amp rating of a standard PC cord. (It's properly called an IEC C14 connector and the bigger 16A one on the supply in Post 1 is an IEC C19).

Anyone actually got one who might give the correct info??

Just as an observation - I have become more relaxed about these PS's since my first few posts. It's possible, but you aren't likely to blow one of these things up by playing around with the small pins. Bit of a spark is possible but after all the discussion on these threads I'm coming to the conclusion that they are pretty idiot proof. Don't go shorting any of the big connectors though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot View Post
It also uses two of them it looks like.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Last edited by jj604; Dec 02, 2010 at 03:33 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:42 AM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
I reported this thread and requested it become a sticky. I have looked for it several times and I think it would be a great addition to the top of the page.

I wont be paying for mine till the 10th so I wont have it for a little while. I do believe your correct and it only has one input on it. I Googled some images of it and came up with this...
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old Dec 02, 2010, 03:52 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,865 Posts
Yep, that's a better photo. Looks like it has two small 40mm fans in it. Definitely a standard PC cord as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VROOMSTER View Post
I reported this thread and requested it become a sticky. I have looked for it several times and I think it would be a great addition to the top of the page.

I wont be paying for mine till the 10th so I wont have it for a little while. I do believe your correct and it only has one input on it. I Googled some images of it and came up with this...
Old Dec 02, 2010, 09:54 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
You are right, looked like it might have two from the picture. Havent seen one on a Dell but have seen several HP servers that the power supply uses 2 cords. Have never been sure why they did it.

LOL I will try to remember that! Dont cross the big pins with my jeweler screw driver... Got it. I have been able to get it to go to ready mode by grounding the enable pin, but havent been able to find the PS ON pin. Does it have to be grounded before I ground the Enable pin? One post indicated yes but some methodology I have seen that pin was grounded first. I am wondering if this thing isnt just bad. Its only a 350W unit so I dont want to waste a bunch of time on it. Especially when the 1300W unit is selling for $39....
Old Dec 02, 2010, 11:03 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
I reported this thread and requested it become a sticky.

IMO the person to request a Thread to be a Sticky is the thread starter , after all they are the one who will have to maintain it or it just becomes a mass of chit chat post.

IMO,this would be a better Sticky
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

Note all the empty(deleted contents) post due to failure of the ones posting to read and follow the simple dirrections(request) in the first post.

Note the title of this thread and how many post have nothing to do with the 100A server power supplies.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:42 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,865 Posts
FWIW, I wasted quite a bit of time trying to get my first ever Server supply running until I came to the conclusion it wsa in the dumpster for a good reason.
Quote:
You are right, looked like it might have two from the picture. Havent seen one on a Dell but have seen several HP servers that the power supply uses 2 cords. Have never been sure why they did it.

LOL I will try to remember that! Dont cross the big pins with my jeweler screw driver... Got it. I have been able to get it to go to ready mode by grounding the enable pin, but havent been able to find the PS ON pin. Does it have to be grounded before I ground the Enable pin? One post indicated yes but some methodology I have seen that pin was grounded first. I am wondering if this thing isnt just bad. Its only a 350W unit so I dont want to waste a bunch of time on it. Especially when the 1300W unit is selling for $39....
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:44 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,865 Posts
Sigh. This sounds like work, Charles. But you are right - the summary thread would probably be a good one as a sticky. I'll ask nicely, although I have never ever had a response from the mysterious moderators whenever I have asked for anything before.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
IMO the person to request a Thread to be a Sticky is the thread starter , after all they are the one who will have to maintain it or it just becomes a mass of chit chat post.

IMO,this would be a better Sticky
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

Note all the empty(deleted contents) post due to failure of the ones posting to read and follow the simple dirrections(request) in the first post.

Note the title of this thread and how many post have nothing to do with the 100A server power supplies.

Charles
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:45 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
HAHAHA. I took this one out of a RAID array that I am *pretty* sure still worked when we got rid of it. But its identical configuration to one already posted and I cant get it to power on for anything. I already have several PC PUS's and with this one being fairly cheap I may just write it off and go that route.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 05:14 PM
United States, KS, Ingalls
Joined Feb 2004
110 Posts
Quote:
You mean this style?
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hea...=pd_cp_e_0_img

And if you are looking for the power supply itself, this place has them for $39 with free ground shipping.
http://www.serversupply.com/POWER%20...337867-501.htm
Yep that the one.

Bahamadude is offline Find More Posts by Bahamadude
Old Dec 02, 2010, 05:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
John I would never suggest anyone commet to Moderating a Sticky. My response was to a post in this thread and I merely pointed out that the other Thread would be a better choice and mentioned the problems with such.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 02, 2010, 09:37 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by linw View Post
OK, I think I have cracked it.

. . . . . x pwr on

x . x x x . First is short pin enable. Then 3 X gnd - use any of these

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

Grounding the short pin and the pwr on pins gets the fan roaring like a 747! It also produces blade voltages as follows:-

Blade 1 - chassis gnd
Blade 2 - +3.7V (3.3V)
Blade 3 - +12.82 (12V)
Blades 4,5,6 - gnd
Blade 7,8 - +5.48V (5V)
Well I have a Compaq 224208-001, its a PS4040 series and this worked. When I was trying last night I didnt show any voltage, when I tried the first time tonight it only showed 8v. Then I went through and verified all the grounds. Tried again and sure enough 13v . Have an Emax 2/3 cell lipo charger so I connected that to test it. Didnt want to use anything I cared about losing. Worked like a charm and after running for a few minutes the fan finally kicked in. Am going to do some more testing now and see how much she will put out. It dropped to 12.9 with the emax, so this obviously isnt a monster like the one you created. lol
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:48 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,865 Posts
Wow, the moderators made BOTH threads sticky. Do I get double pay?

Seriously Charles, if this helps folks save money and get a good result I'm happy to keep both threads managed. (Whatever that means in the wild world of the forums).

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
John I would never suggest anyone commet to Moderating a Sticky. My response was to a post in this thread and I merely pointed out that the other Thread would be a better choice and mentioned the problems with such.

Charles
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:26 PM
United States, KS, Ingalls
Joined Feb 2004
110 Posts
Well I couldn't find a power cord locally, so I chopped off the end of a regular pc power cord and soldered on 3 insulated alligator clips. Works like a dream.

I picked up 2 of these power supplies on ebay for $56.00
Now thats a bargain .

Cheers !
Bahamadude is offline Find More Posts by Bahamadude
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:25 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Oct 2004
27 Posts
Just finished mine thanks to you guys. Iíve had this supply for a while but just couldnít get it to start. Reread all the posts, comparing to the other Dells, and about 15mins of trying different combinations on the control pins then BINGO, heard a relay click then the fans started. (He smiles).
I found three trim pots on a circuit board in the power supply which I hoped adjusted the voltage. I marked the wiper positions with a fine marker so I could always find the original settings in case something went wrong. One trim pot did indeed adjust the voltage. I donít know what the other trim pots do. Range was 12.6v to 13.6v.
No problem with over voltage shutdown at 13.6v.
Iíll only be using this supply at about 20A for now hence the use of only one pair of output blades.
The pictures below explain the connections.
Great thread, thanks guys.
hubgar is offline Find More Posts by hubgar