HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2013, 05:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincs
Joined Apr 2008
26 Posts
Discussion
Tricopter Arm Length

Currently using my tricopter for a bit of fpv, however due to the additional weight of the camera and video tx, there is quite a bit of wobble when descending from height (its not always practical to reduce height at an angle to reduce wobble).

The tri has arms measuring 8 inches, also using 8 inch props.
2822/17 1100 kv motors
KK2 board (may be some additional tweaks within the board required)
HK Blue 30A ESC Flashed with Simon K firmware.

If I increased the arm length to 12 inches, would that help with stability or would it introduce additional problems

thanks in advance

Graham
grezmel is offline Find More Posts by grezmel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2013, 02:23 PM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,663 Posts
Increasing arm length should increase stability.
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2013, 02:56 PM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
963 Posts
If the props descend into their own down draft there will be some degree of instability as the air is already disturbed irrespective of the arm length. Some flight controllers deal with this better than others but increasing arm length will not help this problem but may improve general stability.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by grezmel View Post
Currently using my tricopter for a bit of fpv, however due to the additional weight of the camera and video tx, there is quite a bit of wobble when descending from height (its not always practical to reduce height at an angle to reduce wobble).

The tri has arms measuring 8 inches, also using 8 inch props.
2822/17 1100 kv motors
KK2 board (may be some additional tweaks within the board required)
HK Blue 30A ESC Flashed with Simon K firmware.

If I increased the arm length to 12 inches, would that help with stability or would it introduce additional problems

thanks in advance

Graham
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon