SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:52 AM
United States, SC, Aiken
Joined Aug 2014
113 Posts
Here and at 3DRC

I do appreciate it!

You Cali guys got it made its 151AM here..Yikes.
xlr8tion is offline Find More Posts by xlr8tion
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:56 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The Motrolfly motors sold in the U.S. are NOT the same as the ones made in China and sold in Europe....From what I can determine, Ken buys the bare shell, modifies them with better bearings, lightens them, then winds them himself...
Where do you get this idea? I know that Ken does custom winds on request but I really doubt he winds all the motors himself and replaces the bearings. I assume that most of the motors he sells are straight from China. Otherwise there would likely be some indication on his website .
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:59 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,240 Posts
Believe what you want to believe.... They are not the same, nor do they perform the same...Show me the lightened versions of the Chinese ones, or the fiberglass "X" mounts on the Chinese ones...

But hey, if you don't believe me... buy the Chinese ones....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:34 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
Where do you get this idea? I know that Ken does custom winds on request but I really doubt he winds all the motors himself and replaces the bearings. I assume that most of the motors he sells are straight from China. Otherwise there would likely be some indication on his website .

I actually talked to Ken over the phone and it is true. Handwinds each one, and modifies each one.
Yes, there still are some good people left in the world.
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:12 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
It is true...Ken is a unique and talented guy...call him sometime and ask him yourself.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:36 PM
United States, SC, Aiken
Joined Aug 2014
113 Posts
Ditto that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
It is true...Ken is a unique and talented guy...call him sometime and ask him yourself.

Ken emailed me today and, it is ironic this topic comes up again, as I mentioned "are those 480's and 500's made in CHINA"? Whoops!

Ken emphatically stated he takes great care to hand wind these himself and took the time to delineate whether I need a 4315 480 or 500 for my 58" Edge and he was rightly off put by my implication. I have such a big mouth; so says the wife and am embarassed I raised the issue in the email but had to ask.

I do trust Ken; I have not spoken to him but between Steve and Gyro..if these guys say it is golden.

it is golden!

Now...Dang....now I just have to overthink the servos and Rx to the nth degree.

Hey...3DHS has the TR 500MKII on their site for 89.99 is the 40 xtra worth it on the Motrolfly? That would pay for 75 per cent of the ZTW Gecko 85ESC!

Greg

58" EDGE 540 YELLOW(the faster color)
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:40 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,240 Posts
The yellow is harder to see in flight....Therefore red is better....

Motrolfly is gooder...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:15 AM
United States, SC, Aiken
Joined Aug 2014
113 Posts
Great

I a m freaking blind as a bat in my right eye after my Retinal injury....What vinyl or decals make it the most visible to the naked eye.... Aftermarket company suggestions would be great. Thanks!

My incoming 61" Sebart Sbach is RWB

https://www.aero-model.com/2_152_167...EBSE50-WB.html

I am going to have to find something that is highly visible as I fly up to 200' high and 500' out.

Thanks amigos!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:14 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
Does anyone have a wingtube they would sell? I shut mine in the truck door yesterday
nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:30 PM
United States, SC, Aiken
Joined Aug 2014
113 Posts
What plane is it from?

Try this company as wingtubes are hard to find. These are thicker and pultruded CF is plenty strong-better than the Chinese ones by an order of magnitude.

http://dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=102

If you give the model someone with the same tube can measure the OD and length.

Get a thicker ID as CF is o light that its a bonus....Unless its less than 24" you will have to get a 48" and cut it.

Good luck..Greg
Old Oct 22, 2014, 02:52 PM
AMA 983978
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2011
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake View Post
Does anyone have a wingtube they would sell? I shut mine in the truck door yesterday
Yes,
PM me to discuss
Mike
MikePS is offline Find More Posts by MikePS