HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Discussion
How’s That Arab Spring Working?

Let me qualify this subject, I have observed nation building doesn’t work in the Region (FWIW). I also think at this time, a strong fist works best in the region. Also regardless of parties (ideologies).

I’ve been thinking about this subject and saw this article on cnn today. At the time I (myself) I thought encouraging this movement was a mistake. Not to my surprise these movements were hijacked; and of course by factions not friendly to the west (not really surprising), and not friendly to the citizenship in their regions.

Comments?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/27/middle...ath/index.html

(Good enough source for the Brits?)
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,999 Posts
At least they all still agree on death to Israel, yes?
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Today, 10:07 AM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
Let me qualify this subject, I have observed nation building doesn’t work in the Region (FWIW). I also think at this time, a strong fist works best in the region. Also regardless of parties (ideologies).

I’ve been thinking about this subject and saw this article on cnn today. At the time I (myself) I thought encouraging this movement was a mistake. Not to my surprise these movements were hijacked; and of course by factions not friendly to the west (not really surprising), and not friendly to the citizenship in their regions.

Comments?

Seriously? It's US MSM so we know what it won't report, i.e. any involvement by the US. Here are my comments:

1) Tunisia. This "relative success" is the only one in which the US and its allies were not involved. Coincidence? I think not.

2) Libya. The US, UK and France helped a bunch of radical tribal people from the desert and al Qaeda affiliates to overthrow a brutal but secular dictator, turning Libya from a relatively stable country into a quagmire ruled by competing warlords.

3) Egypt. The military junta that overthrew the democratically elected government in a coup then declared them to be a terrorist organisation, is a US supported military junta.

4) Syria. We helped allegedly "moderate rebels" with "non-lethal aid" i.e. paid them to fight, while Saudi Arabia helped the more "radical rebels" and our new found "allies" in Libya supplied weapons.

5) Yemen. There is even a brief "history," but not one word about any of "Obama's drone strike" campaign. That's something that Fox News might mention, but not in context of destabilising the country, and most certainly not from the perspective of the people on the receiving end. That would be well outwith the realms of US MSM, but it is conceivable that Fox might mention them as an example of a "failed Obama policy" from the perspective of Republican.

I read the whole article anyway, but I knew what it wouldn't report after I read the five points in the image at the top. I must admit I was surprised that it mentioned ISIS at the end, as I was thinking that surely CNN readers would realise that the US and British invasion and the complete dismantling of the Ba'ath regime etc, initiated the conditions under which ISIS was able to thrive. But of course there is no "history" of how that all happened because failing to mention the US/British invasion in any such history would have been all too obvious, even for CNN readers.

I'm surprised that so many Americans don't seem to realise that it doesn't matter whether it's Fox or CNN, or CBS, MSNBC or whatever; it's all corporate media, and all part of the establishment, albeit not always the same part.

Similarly, non-MSM US news sources such as this one on the left and this one on the right also report much the same as each other, because their agenda is to inform Americans of the facts that US MSM sources intentionally omit, such as those that I mentioned above.

Reading US MSM, it's not hard to see why so many Americans don't understand why the US is perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by most of the rest of the world.
Dusty1000 is offline Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Today, 10:10 AM
Scotland the Brave
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Mar 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
At least they all still agree on death to Israel, yes?
I take it that you're still getting your "news" from Fox.
Dusty1000 is offline Find More Posts by Dusty1000
Old Today, 12:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post

Comments?

It's not jut thm. Didn't you have bit of trouble with the Red Indians and the British?

It's not just them. Didn't you have a bit of trouble with the Red Indians and the British?

And we had Ancient Romans, Gauls, Celts, French, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Normans, Jutes, 'Beaker Folk' (4000 years ago and on TV yesterday), and even the Germans had a go.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Old Today, 12:48 PM
Joined Nov 2007
408 Posts
Did not Cain kill Able?
FlyCush is offline Find More Posts by FlyCush
Old Today, 12:57 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,513 Posts
Is this thread a wind up?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Today, 01:10 PM
Multirotor geek
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Mar 2013
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Powell View Post
It's not just them. Didn't you have a bit of trouble with the Red Indians and the British?

And we had Ancient Romans, Gauls, Celts, French, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Normans, Jutes, 'Beaker Folk' (4000 years ago and on TV yesterday), and even the Germans had a go.

Actually, no, we didn't have a problem with either

Clyde
kenpoprofessor is online now Find More Posts by kenpoprofessor
Old Today, 01:16 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
I’m just thinking the region was more stable when ruled by basically secular dictators rather than democratized corrupt governments or popular uprisings hijacked by religious zealots.
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran