HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2015, 07:46 PM
United States, NE, Grand Island
Joined Dec 2009
236 Posts
Discussion
Polyester Resin Glue

I have a Dumas boat that I am told is polyester resin made.
The outside is gel coat white.
The inside of the hull is shiny glassy finished and I can see fiberglass fibers.
What glue would I want to mount engine bearers and deck formers?
Thanks
Jim
Jim409 is offline Find More Posts by Jim409
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2015, 09:08 PM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,959 Posts
Bondo.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:00 AM
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
I would say either bondo, or CA glue.

In either case, I'd scuff the area up with some coarse sandpaper and wipe it with acetone or alcohol before hand.

You could even use the CA to tack the pieces in place, and use Bondo to really lock 'em in place.
SenorNeekers is online now Find More Posts by SenorNeekers
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:35 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,398 Posts
Sand and "prep" properly, then I would use a Med. CA. If you still want to reinforce things, (ie: motor mounts, shaft and rudder stuffing box's) I would use Marine-Tex. Over time, it will hold up MUCH better, than Bondo. It is designed for the Commercial Marine Industry.
CaptCB is online now Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:58 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,723 Posts
If you already have some polyester resin, mix and add some micro-balloons and 'thixo' (a powder/thixotropic thickening agent, usually fumed silica) to a paste consistency of about peanut butter. Use a tongue depressor or popsicle stick to create a smooth fillet along the joint and allow to kick. For some jobs, spread a very light, thin coat of catalyzed resin on the surfaces before applying the paste. For added strength, you can add chopped fibers as well for a really strong joint.

I like doing this better than using Bondo since I can control the 'stiffness' and strength of the mixture and I've never had issues with getting the catalyst mix right.

There has to be a resins supply house in your area that has fused silica powder and glass micro-balloons in 1lb bulk packs.... set you up with a lifetime supply My 5# bags have lasted a lot of years and a lot of projects...

I gotta' concur with CaptCB, straight CA glues are never enough and should always be reinforced.
craig_c is online now Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Mar 20, 2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:17 AM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,806 Posts
CA , like CB said, will bond, but isn't the best for when a "load" is put to that area. Several different things to use to bond to the fiberglass. But most importantly is to prep the area to be glued as CB recommended. I like to use G-flex marine epoxy from West Marine for all major construction/bonding. In the case of motor mounts, I cheat and use RTV silicone (black stuff) to mount some motors. I do use a slow to medium CA on the gel coat to glue things that are not in big danger of being pulled off.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2008
645 Posts
Use z-poxy finishing resin.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Mar 21, 2015, 07:06 AM
Joined May 2012
531 Posts
Anything NOT polyester based, regular epoxy, J,B weld, G-flex, all bond very well to polyester resin after a scuff and clean with solvent to get all the wax off the surface.
CA will break loose with any hull flex, anything polyester just stinks, it really isn't a glue, it's for laying fiberglass, bondo is a filler not an adhesive as well.
I personally use JB Weld for all internal assembly, never had anything come loose even with many crashes pushing 60-70 mph. It is thick enough that you don't need to add anything but flows just enough to smooth itself out just a little bit, the drawback is the grey colour stands out inside the boat if this kind of thing matters to you.
Polyester only bonds well if the layer below it is still "green" or not completely set up AND as long as the layers below it are NOT waxed resin.
Sibe is offline Find More Posts by Sibe
Old Mar 21, 2015, 06:52 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,723 Posts
Regarding prep -

1) The area needs to be absolutely clean of grease or waxes. Usually a few passes with lacquer thinner will remove most wax, grease, oils, etc.

2) The area must have 'tooth;' the resin (any resin, epoxy or poly) has to have a roughened physical surface to bind to. This is a physical bond, not a molecular one as you have between layers of partially cured resin.

60 or 80 grit sandpaper is great for roughing/prepping a surface for resin.

A note on CA from the jewelry industry.... in addition to it being brittle which causes it to fail when flexed, some appears to become more brittle/degrade with age and possibly UV exposure. This is anecdotal from some folks I knew but they basically said you cannot trust CA to hold that diamond to its setting for more that three to five years.
craig_c is online now Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:31 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
Use z-poxy finishing resin.
+1 Easy stuff to use and does not smell. Bondo is super smelly stuff and will permeate your entire house.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet