HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2014, 05:01 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,476 Posts
Mini-Review
Mountain Models Tom-E-Boy 150 build!

Brian sent me the Tom-E-Boy 150 kit a while back to do a build thread on . It has been done and ready to fly for quite some time and I finally ran out of excuses not to go out and do the maiden and post the build thread. It has just recently cooled down here in Phoenix so I didn't have to fear the balsa bursting into flames from the heat. No rain. No crazy wind. No more excuses! Out I went at about 7:00 am this morning. It was still 70 degrees and no wind (until I got to the field). I took only the Tom-E-Boy 150 as I wanted to give it full attention. Even with 2-5 mph winds picking up there was no need to ground this lightweight. She flew just fine with a "heavy" 2S 460mah pack. Brian bills the kit as mainly an indoor flyer but I'm here to tell you that if you add a little weight there is no reason not to build this cute little bugger as a parkflyer or even a front yard flyer. I got 6 minutes of flight using only 120mah and that's in the wind using no more than 1/2 throttle! This bird is going to my office for a lunch and after work flyer!

I posted the full build thread with pictures over at WattFlyer and to be honest I'm too blasted lazy to post it here all over again at RCG so here is the link. FULL BUILD THREAD.

As you'll see in the thread at WF I tried shooting video of the maiden but the crappy $8.00 HK keychain camera provided less than usable results....

If you're looking for a lightweight, quick build easy flyer click the link above and look it over. The electronics Brian recommends are perfect for this build and I would NOT suggest over powering. Go ahead and order them at the same time you order the kit. His prices are very competitive and you'll save the shipping cost and time from ordering the gear from China....

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:39 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,490 Posts
Thanks for the build thread Joe!
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:43 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,508 Posts
Looks great Joe! I have thought about building one of those for some time now, but been too busy with other things.

How does she handle as a 3 channel? I have found some planes to be slow and some like to the SQuiRT to be very responsive as a 3 channel plane.

Frank

PS here is where I almost pulled the trigger on one http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1886779
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 13, 2014 at 11:44 PM. Reason: PS added
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:41 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,476 Posts
Frank,

It handles nothing like that small R/E/T kit we both built and didn't like.

As soon as I put it on the ground the wind started picking up but It has been so long since I've flown I was going for it no matter what. While it did get bounced around when the wind gusted really heavy in steady winds it just became fast going downwind and took a little more throttle upwind. No drama at all. As for responsiveness, right after takeoff I went from high rates to low rates on rudder and elevator and will likely turn them down even more. Surprising how effective the fight surfaces are. Loops from level flight starting at half throttle and increasing throttle on the up line were easy. I didn't try anything crazy using rudder. I wish the crappy HK keychain camera video had been usable so you could see how smooth it flew. I'm starting to think about getting a Mobius camera but I have a ton of money going out this month so something like that will have to wait.

Once I find a small cheap power supply for one of my extra chargers I'm going to take this bird to work and keep it there for lunch and after work flying. It's the perfect size to easily stash away in the office.

Joe
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,508 Posts
Wow, that sounds awesome Joe and glad to hear that it is not in the same class as that plane. I was very disappointed in that.

I knew nothing about the Mobius until you said that and checked them out. Looks like a great little camera and it sure is light enough. I could use that to have two different views from my camera plane.

Thanks again for the info about the Tom-E-Boy. I am going to add that one to my build list.

Frank

PS if you ever get a camera and film your Tom-E-Boy, I'd love to see it.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:53 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
Wow, that sounds awesome Joe and glad to hear that it is not in the same class as that plane. I was very disappointed in that.

I knew nothing about the Mobius until you said that and checked them out. Looks like a great little camera and it sure is light enough. I could use that to have two different views from my camera plane.

Thanks again for the info about the Tom-E-Boy. I am going to add that one to my build list.

Frank

PS if you ever get a camera and film your Tom-E-Boy, I'd love to see it.
Frank,

Yeah, there really is no comparison between the two. No matter what I did with the "other" one I still didn't like it. I need to lower the rates a little further on the Tom-E-Boy and she'll fly even more like a 4 channel bird. The control surfaces are very effective for their size. I couldn't get over how well it flew in the light wind. I was immediately happy with this bird even on the maiden with no adjustments!

I was loaded up and heading out to fly this morning and of course all plans went swirling right down the toilet. (Read about it in the WattFlyer thread.)

I've got a ton of money going out this month and can't really afford another R/C purchase but I'm having a hard time not ordering the Mobius camera. HK has it for $69.63 in the USA West warehouse. I can't find it anywhere for a price even close to that. Decisions.....

Joe
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:31 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,476 Posts
Couldn't take it anymore Frank. I just ordered the Mobius. I haven't seen many electronic products with so many positive reviews. I'm thinking I'll be happy with it. Ordering some mounts for it from Banggood too. Too bad HK doesn't carry any.

Joe
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:02 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,508 Posts
That was fast. Good luck with the camera Joe and looking forward tot he videos and more flight reports.

Frank
Old Oct 21, 2014, 08:59 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,476 Posts
Frank,

Camera is supposed to be here tomorrow. Weekend weather should be nice. Hopefully I can post a video up if I can figure out how to work the camera after 3 days of studying the instructions.

Joe
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:42 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,508 Posts
Cool. I can't wait to hear how you like it and looking forward to seeing the Tom-E-Boy fly. The TEB sounds like it would be perfect for the lot next to my house. I have been experimenting with some small BNF planes but they just don't seem to excite me very much. I read how people say "I have never had so much fun" but for me flying a one ounce piece of foam around just isn't cutting it.

Really I have tried to like them and sure they are a little fun, but they don't look very nice and buying a plane from a box that looks like every other plane just seems to be dull and boring. I don't know why and I don't know if you or anyone can understand that, but the toy-like characteristics of the BNF offerings are leaving me disappointed. Does that make any sense?

Frank
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:06 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,476 Posts
Frank,

The camera just got here and I've been playing with it a bit. It's a billion times better than that cheap $8.00 keychain cam but while it says 1080p I'm not so sure. I haven't had it outdoors though so video quality may get much better in good lighting. The setup software is awesome. It allows me to program the video 180 degrees so I can mount the cam to the bottom of the plane. Couldn't do that with the cheapo one. LOTS of other programming options as well and intuitive enough that even a moron like me could figure it out. At 1.3 ounces it's not that heavy either. I'll try to get some video of the Tom-E-Boy this weekend.

Joe
Old Oct 26, 2014, 06:28 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,476 Posts
I finally got some video of the Tom-E-Boy this morning. It took me most of the day to figure out Windows Movie Maker editing but I got it cut up enough to bring it down to just under 9 minutes. This is my first ever "successful" airplane video and my first You Tube airplane video so take it easy on me. Next time I'll remember to fly closer to the camera too....

Joe

Video on You Tube
Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:26 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,508 Posts
She flew very nice Joe! The camera seemed to work out very well and the plane was in sight the whole time. You are right though about being a little far away from the camera.

Thanks for sharing that with us Joe.

Frank
Old Oct 29, 2014, 07:51 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,476 Posts
Frank,

Yeah, I've sure got a lot to learn about videography! I shot right at 8 minutes of the EVA Trike afterwards and did only marginally better with keeping the bird in close enough for the camera. If nothing gets in the way this weekend there will be really nice weather again so I plan to go fly some more. I'll try to keep the bird in close enough so you can tell what it is.

Maybe I'll also take out a few of the many builds that have in some cases been waiting for years for maiden. One is an unreleased prototype kit that Brian sent me well over 5 years ago. Right about the time my flying dropped off so sharply.

Joe
Old Mar 09, 2015, 07:58 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,490 Posts
Well, a Tom e boy 150 showed up on my doorstep today along with an ETana. I think I'll put the Tom-e-boy together first. Any words from the wise before I dive in?
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich