SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2014, 02:20 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,173 Posts
Discussion
Fortis Titan

Just started my Fortis Titan tricopter build. Really liking the quality of this kit. The design and the parts fit are excellent. With the tie raps holding everything together and the zero slop on the tail mechanism can't wait to get it in the air. Only the thing is I can not figure out what there at not more Titans here on RCGs? Wanting to see examples of how others ran their wiring. If you have built one please post some photos here. If not you should buy a kit, you will not be sorry.
Petrie is online now Find More Posts by Petrie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2014, 03:46 PM
United States, IA, Iowa Falls
Joined Oct 2013
164 Posts
I have a lot on my TITAN, but I have tried a lot of different combos too.

here is what i have for the power distribution.

ikem1223 is offline Find More Posts by ikem1223
Old May 07, 2014, 05:42 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,173 Posts
Ikem1223 that looks real nice. Very clean build, how do you like the way it flys?

I see the battery connector running out the front. I have ran mine out the back do you see any problem with that?
Old May 07, 2014, 06:07 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
1,507 Posts
Ii'm running SS X2212 980kvs on 3S for now. 1045 props. Might change to SS 2212 1400kvs with 8" props. The problem I have is that it flies alright, when I bring it down, the tail servo starts shaking/jerking violently until I hold the yaw mech or disconnect the battery. Once I start the motors, it's ok
cruiser73 is offline Find More Posts by cruiser73
Old May 07, 2014, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,173 Posts
Cruiser - Are you thinking that is the servo or the FC? What servo and FC are you using?
Old May 07, 2014, 08:10 AM
Joined Oct 2013
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Ikem1223 that looks real nice. Very clean build, how do you like the way it flys?

I see the battery connector running out the front. I have ran mine out the back do you see any problem with that?
I ran my front arm wires out the front, and ziptied the rear boom and accessory power to the little space on the back of the plates. This allows it to fold perfectly.

old pic, but it shows the wires.

Old May 07, 2014, 09:15 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
1,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrie View Post
Cruiser - Are you thinking that is the servo or the FC? What servo and FC are you using?
I'm running the HS 82mg and the Flip 2.5 MWC.
cruiser73 is offline Find More Posts by cruiser73
Old May 07, 2014, 09:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,173 Posts
I will be running that same setup only using some red motors from Paul. Had them on an OPQ and one went tits up so started looking at tri . Liking the looks of this frame enough probably going to spring for better motors later.

I did notice some humming and jittering on the servo with just connected to the tester. At the time thought it might just be a low battery or the cheep tester. I'll take another look at it before continuing.
Old May 07, 2014, 08:07 PM
Ars longa, vita brevis
Joined Jan 2014
479 Posts
Mine is currently setup with:

T motor 2216-9 1100kv motors
T motor 9x3 "antigravity" cf props (the white Phantom replacements)
Mini PDB (the 36mm square one that timecop sells)
OP Revolution FC mounted above PDB
TBS 30A ESC's (had them laying around so I used them)
Airtronics 94809 micro BB MG servo. I used the Hitec 82MG originally, but it seemed a little jittery to me, so I switched it out for the Airtronics, which is MUCH smoother (but twice as much money)

I have it pretty much bare bones at the moment--just fly it for fun. But it's a great little frame, and to parrot the OP i don't know why you don't see this frame mentioned more often, or tricopters in general for that matter. The 'hot' tri at the moment appears to be the Armattan mini CF, and I notice we've got a new bunch of Simplecopter fans, but you rarely see the Titan here.

Good luck with your build.
ursa is offline Find More Posts by ursa
Old May 07, 2014, 10:19 PM
United States, NE, Scottsbluff
Joined Jan 2012
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa View Post
Mine is currently setup with:

T motor 2216-9 1100kv motors
T motor 9x3 "antigravity" cf props (the white Phantom replacements)
Mini PDB (the 36mm square one that timecop sells)
OP Revolution FC mounted above PDB
TBS 30A ESC's (had them laying around so I used them)
Airtronics 94809 micro BB MG servo. I used the Hitec 82MG originally, but it seemed a little jittery to me, so I switched it out for the Airtronics, which is MUCH smoother (but twice as much money)

I have it pretty much bare bones at the moment--just fly it for fun. But it's a great little frame, and to parrot the OP i don't know why you don't see this frame mentioned more often, or tricopters in general for that matter. The 'hot' tri at the moment appears to be the Armattan mini CF, and I notice we've got a new bunch of Simplecopter fans, but you rarely see the Titan here.

Good luck with your build.
Looking to help change that with another new build. Waiting on the frame now.

Not sure what I am going to build yet. Considering either a lightweight build with 13" wood booms, a 22xx 3s power system an an Acro Naze, or a 16" hybrid boom, 28xx 4s powered beast with a Pixhawk and all the toys. Decisions.
SBATTY is offline Find More Posts by SBATTY
Old May 08, 2014, 02:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser73 View Post
I'm running the HS 82mg and the Flip 2.5 MWC.
Are you guys powering the servo thru the FC? Heard Paul say this was not a good ideal. I'm doing wiring on the tail and I was thinking of getting Power and Gnd from the rear motor ESC and just run the signal wire to the FC. Is this correct way to do it?
Old May 08, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined Oct 2013
164 Posts
I power my servo through my FC (Apm 2.6) using the 82mg
Old May 09, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
What AWG size are you guys using? (from the esc to the harness and from the battery to the harness).

My planned setup is:

3x Afro ESC 30A
SunnySky x2212-13 980kv II
KK 2.1.5

I'm currently trying to figure out how to put in the harness and how thick the wires should be.

Since this is my first build i don't really know how to start.
Radokat is offline Find More Posts by Radokat
Old May 09, 2014, 08:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,173 Posts
Radokat - I just did the the wiring on my Titan last night. I am running the Witespy Red motors that are 2212/13 1000kv. From using them on a quad I measured a max current of 9.43 amps for each motor. So with that I ran 20 AWG wire from BuddyRC that is rated at "15A continuous current safe". This is from power distribution board to ESC. It is in spec but looks small to the eyes. Would have preferred to use 18 AWG but I didn't have enough.
Old May 10, 2014, 01:58 AM
United States, CA, Weimar
Joined Feb 2014
30 Posts
Starting the wiring on mine. Using 16 AWG wire for most everything except for the FPV gear.

Setup is:
Blue Series 30A ESCs
T-Motors 2212 980kv
Pixhawk flight controller
FPV gear

For a receiver I can either run an AR610 receiver via PPM cable or a Spektrum Satellite straight off the Pixhawk. Which would be the better option?
WestonsDigital is offline Find More Posts by WestonsDigital