HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2013, 03:20 PM
Isle of Man
Joined May 2013
9 Posts
Question
Will it fly?

Howdy folks

I've got an Arising star with a sc.46 engine up front (11x6 prop).
I've added some (very) beefy undercarriage and a GoPro equipped with a parachute. Now all this brings the weight of the aircraft up to 3.4kg (unfueled) with the added drag of the camera as well.

Will the .46 be capable of dragging all this through the skies? I don't expect it to be particularly nimble. The camera will be dropped before landing, so that should knock off about 400g and most of the added drag. And I have checked that it won't affect the balance.

I've got a few pictures of the setup :

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Stuart
stuweep is offline Find More Posts by stuweep
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2013, 03:29 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,470 Posts
I think your fine.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old May 10, 2013, 03:47 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
644 Posts
make a dummy camera out of a block of wood the same size an shape of the camera. drill and add lead to it until it is the same weight as the camera then test fly with it so you don't risk your good camera.
webdragon is online now Find More Posts by webdragon
Old May 10, 2013, 04:18 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,470 Posts
Might help with a 10 X 6 APC prop. Or 11 X 5
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old May 12, 2013, 07:21 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
982 Posts
I would be more concerned with actual wing loading and power factor rather than all up weight by itself. You haven't given any specs for your airplane so I'll deal with generalities. But I'll expect you to convert our ounce/sqft to your gr/dm or whatever. Most of our high wing non-aerobatic airframes for an .46cid engine have a 700 square inch wing and weigh about 6 pounds dry ready to fly. This works out to a wing loading of 20 ounces per square foot of wing area and a power factor of 215 ounces per 1.0 cid. If your wing on the Rising Star is approximately the same, you will be dealing with a 25 ounce wing load and a power factor of 265 ounces.

As a comparison of wing loadings, The Telemasters series and the Sig Kadet Seniors check in at 17 oz per Sqft.

It may be difficult to fly. I would suggest trimming the airplane without adding any weight and get used to it. Then start adding dummy weight, 100gr at a time. See if the airplane will take the additional 400gr total in steps and be reasonable to control. Good luck.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old May 13, 2013, 03:15 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
968 Posts
You should be fine, I would go with the 11X5 prop just for the torque. I used to have a camera mounted inside my plane ( similar to yours ) and it didn't even effect the flying, I had an OS 46 on mine, and the camera was probably heavier then the one you are using, mine was in the early 80"s .

By the way ~~ why are you dropping the camera ( and how ) before landing ??? ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old May 24, 2013, 03:30 PM
Isle of Man
Joined May 2013
9 Posts
Thank you very much for the input chaps.
I've taken your advise and made a dummy camera.

I've also redesigned the undercarriage to save about 100g and it should also be a wee bit stronger. As you can see the camera is to be dropped by a single servo removing a hinge pin. There is also a servo in the tail to release the parachute. The two servos are run on a single channel with a Y lead.

The long grass on my flying site and a dodgy row of trees on the approach are the main reason that the camera will not be landing with the aircraft. And I like parachutes
Old May 24, 2013, 07:42 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
968 Posts
I have a feeling your parachute mounted like that will give about as much drag as the camera.
Have you thought about opening the bottom of the fuse and packing the chute inside the fuse.
Also., be real careful of your CG,, before and after your drop. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old May 24, 2013, 08:01 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
644 Posts
you could also just rubber band a tube to the bottom of the plane an loosely pack the chute into it.

that way you wont have to depend on two servo's
webdragon is online now Find More Posts by webdragon
Old May 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redh View Post
I have a feeling your parachute mounted like that will give about as much drag as the camera.
Have you thought about opening the bottom of the fuse and packing the chute inside the fuse.
Also., be real careful of your CG,, before and after your drop. ENJOY !!! RED
I agree. That parachute is going to fill and pull out before intentional deployment. Roll it tightly to prevent drag and fluttering.
Charlie P (NY) is online now Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Old May 26, 2013, 05:43 AM
Isle of Man
Joined May 2013
9 Posts
That picture was only indented to show the deployment mechanism. The parachute will be packed into a small tub then secured by the elastic band so it wont be exposed to the air-stream. There is also a breakaway connector between the parachute and the camera so if the parachute does deploy early it will just break free.

The CG will not be affected by the drop.

Once I've got this method working reliably i'm going to use the parachute as a drogue for a larger one with will be able to support the entire aircraft.

My calculations show that i'll need a parachute larger than 10ft which will probably be on the absolute limit of what the engine can lift. So i'll remove the undercarriage and hand launch it.

This is just and idea floating around in my head for the time being. I'm sure it will be a lot more work than it seems
Old May 26, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
212 Posts
Why the parachutes to begin with?

What will inevitably happen is that you'll be watching the camera descend (or streamer in hard) and crash the aircraft - a self fulfilling prophesy.
Old May 27, 2013, 04:54 AM
Isle of Man
Joined May 2013
9 Posts
I'm very well aware of that
This parachute will inflate very quickly, so my plan if to drop it on the final approach about 10m high.
The missus is also being trained to fly circuits with a buddy box so I can watch the drop.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
212 Posts
Personally I'd rather land in a controlled airplane than an uncontrolled parachute. But it's your camera.