HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2014, 05:06 PM
United States, NC, Morrisville
Joined May 2013
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo35 View Post
. Now I have a hanger full of planes which I don't want to crash.
The novice R/C pilots position. We all have that same problem.
VPChianese is offline Find More Posts by VPChianese
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2014, 06:03 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPChianese View Post
The novice R/C pilots position. We all have that same problem.
It's easy to get excited about having certain planes, then realize they're a bit beyond one's abilities to comfortably fly, or sometimes it's just that they're such nice looking airplanes that it's unnerving to actually fly them. Even experienced RC pilots crash. That said, prior to getting into RC airplanes I'd been thinking about building some scale model planes as decoration in my rec room, then I learned to fly and ended up with decorations that I can take out and do something with. I don't feel bad having some planes that are primarily shelf queens, it's not like the full scale cars and planes that deteriorate just sitting there.

I've got a tough, cheap utilitarian plane that I fly most often, I won't feel too bad if that gets beat up. I do the learning on that, and then take up the nice scale birds for some careful flying. I almost always bring the beater along and take that up first as a warmup and to get an idea of the conditions.
James_S is online now Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:16 PM
United States, FL, Summerland Key
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
The main problem are the little waves but I will try it when the wind is very light. Also someone said the prop being up so high tends to push the nose down, do you use much up elevator on take offs, or does it just lift off?
Meanwhile I bought a small trainer to get more experience; a good bit of the problem is me. Now I have a hanger full of planes which I don't want to crash.
I just bought 2 small high wing trainers which I just tried out in my front street; the little Cessna which had several crashes ,no ailerons now a broken prop. The second trainer has ailerons but no steerable nose gear , so I opened it up and did lift off then hit the ground. The last flight it went up nicely and about 10 ft turned left into a tree, it did survive and I will try again on a bigger field instead of a narrow street. I need to program the controls to be less sensitive.
Ronaldo35 is online now Find More Posts by Ronaldo35
Old Jul 15, 2014, 09:46 PM
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
212 Posts
Quote:
The main problem are the little waves but I will try it when the wind is very light. Also someone said the prop being up so high tends to push the nose down, do you use much up elevator on take offs, or does it just lift off?
Meanwhile I bought a small trainer to get more experience; a good bit of the problem is me. Now I have a hanger full of planes which I don't want to crash.
LOL! I have more airworthy models now than I have ever had in my life - thanks to foam electrics! ;-) I don't have anything I am "afraid" to fly; but I must say my fiberglass fuselage Widgeon has an atrocious wing loading for it's size and I am guardedly cautious when flying that. I found out it will not recover from an inverted flat spin . . . and rebuilt it after that lesson. (I may have solved that with different props but have not repeated it just in case I haven't).

And I have "dumb thumbed" my share of beloved models that were victims of testosterone posioning and would have been better off staying grounded on certain fateful days.

I have my Tidewater trimmed so it will just lift off on it's own with a smooth surface. I usually cruise at about 3/4 throttle and itis trimmed to fly hands off at that position. The Tidewater is a sweet airframe and if it weren't for the additional concerns of water operations it could be a good second model. Not quite a trainer; but on a buddy box it would be OK to learn on. In a lot of cases water operations are more forgiving (landings, especially). but as you note - a chop makes it tough.

The problem with "second models" is that frequently the pilot tries to stretch and grow a little soon and crunch. Not always, but it's pretty common.
Charlie P (NY) is online now Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:33 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
196 Posts
Quote:
I just bought 2 small high wing trainers which I just tried out in my front street; the little Cessna which had several crashes ,no ailerons now a broken prop. The second trainer has ailerons but no steerable nose gear , so I opened it up and did lift off then hit the ground. The last flight it went up nicely and about 10 ft turned left into a tree, it did survive and I will try again on a bigger field instead of a narrow street. I need to program the controls to be less sensitive.

Definitely find a bigger field, I've been flying for about 6 months and I still wouldn't think of trying on a residential street with obstacles that nearby. You want something at least the size of a football field at first. Is there a public middleschool or high school near you? During the summer those can be a great place to fly, often the track makes a nice runway.

You might consider picking up a simulator too. If you've already wrecked two trainers, it will quickly pay for itself.
James_S is online now Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:41 AM
United States, FL, Summerland Key
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
I repaired both trainers, the small Cessna tail stabilizers were very flimsy so I reinforced them with carbon & epoxy and it's a lot stiffer now. The whole tail was flexing so that could be part of the problem.
I do have a simulator (Blitz-RC) which I fly the BF109 pretty well, but the RC planes are harder and reflexes need to be quicker; also the real Cessna 172 was easier to fly. I tried the street as the description of the two trainers said you can fly them in the backyard ; my backyard is a canal so I tried the street, oops.....
The school yard is locked but there are two empty lots; 160 ' x 100' together, near my house that I've used before where I flew my Beechcraft Staggerwing OK until the wind blew it in a tree. All my crashed planes are repaired and flight ready, waiting for a calm day.

Attached pic shows the single strands of CF stiffening the tail, amazing how much the small strands helped.
Ronaldo35 is online now Find More Posts by Ronaldo35
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:07 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,659 Posts
My son and I flew the heck out of our Tidewaters over the last couple of days.

What a fantastic airplane!
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers