Thanks for the help..dope it is then.

John
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
407 Posts
Back to work after the Christmas break. I had to work out a way to make the inlets so they were reasonably sculptural and yet fairly easy to make. I had to increase the size of the inlets because of the higher mass flow in my engine. I will make the ears so they are part of the cover and will come off with it. This means I can get to the inside to trim out the opening in the skin. I marked the position with pins so I know where to cut out. The cover will be subject to some forces and I will not rely on the magnet system but have a pull out wire that holds it in place.

John
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,202 Posts
That is a work of art John!
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
Tailless Happy
Germany
Joined Jan 2009
43 Posts
Nice work John !
Great to watch the progress.
HortenI is offline Find More Posts by HortenI
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:04 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
407 Posts
Finished the intakes apart from some more sanding. Not filled anything yet and I think I will go for a white fuselage and a light stain on the woodwork. The angle of the retracts looks fine but there is limited ground clearance so I will need wingtip skids and tail skid to protect them from scraping.

John
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
Heidelberg
Joined Oct 2009
377 Posts
Nice!

Andrés
andrecillo76 is online now Find More Posts by andrecillo76
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:50 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
407 Posts
I have now filled the balsa sanded it and applied glass and skinning resin. This is a job that I never actually enjoy and always fear that the resin will not set after early experience I had with a poor product. However all went well this time. I skinned it last night and it is not fully cured this morning but will obviously do so. I struggled a bit to get the material to follow all the contours and as a result applied more resin than I should have. Having filled the balsa surface meant that very little resin was absorbed into the surface. I guess I should have had a sponge to hand and mopped up the surplus. Never mind all I need to do is apply a second thin coat and then rub it down when set hard.

John
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:34 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
407 Posts
I primed the fuselage and then decided to cut the hatch out. I had marked the hatch cut out lines and they were getting a bit faint. Just to make sure they were in the correct place I inserted a number of pins and made sure to follow the holes left when I used the razor saw. I cut the bottom line with a scalpel. I was delighted that the hatch came out perfectly and will need no construction, just opening up the intakes and a bit of sanding and general cleaning up.

I will add an upstand to the engine mounts to secure the hatch from side to side and will have a wire latch.

John
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,202 Posts
Nicely done John.I made the same error over doing the resin.Annoying when you have to sand it off.
Stuart.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:00 PM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
407 Posts
Cut out the horns from 2.0 mm thick fibreglass sheet and made slots for them into the balsa blocks let in earlier. You can see that separating the elevons will be simple, just the ribs to saw through.

Glued the horns in with epoxy, they are off set to allow for ball links. I use Great Planes nylon links with a screw that goes through the ball, and the horn.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to saw the elevons off.

John
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:27 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
407 Posts
I have sawn off the elevons and flaps without any dramas. Nice and easy with Andres method. I had already glued balsa strips to the edges and I needed no filling pieces in the surfaces themselves but the trailing edges needed some thin balsa
added to get a level surface. This I have now done and cleaned off ready to add a thin ply facing skin. I am doing this as I have to tape the flying surfaces on and it makes it neater and more robust.

The thin ply strip were simply glued and taped on with masking tape onto the flying surfaces while the glue dried.

John
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:01 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2005
339 Posts
Great Job!

Hej John,

You are building very good. Everything is clean. I hope I can see her one day flying. If You ever go to Germany with this bird, please inform me. I will be there as a spectator.

Lothar
Tijgerhaai is offline Find More Posts by Tijgerhaai
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:51 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijgerhaai View Post
Hej John,

You are building very good. Everything is clean. I hope I can see her one day flying. If You ever go to Germany with this bird, please inform me. I will be there as a spectator.

Lothar
Lothar thanks for the kind remarks, all I can see is the mistakes I have made. It is not the standard I have seen of your builds. I have to get it flown before making plans to come to Germany. I have the 6 turbine engine Arado 555 and the Boulton Paul P111 to complete the Large Model rules for 1 hours flying before I can bring either. We just need it to stop raining and the wind to calm down. If all goes well we plan to go to Pampa in Belgium and Porz near Koln this year.

Meanwhile I have some more fun in the workshop....I am just not happy unless I am making something.

John
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:01 PM
Tailless Happy
Germany
Joined Jan 2009
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
Lothar thanks for the kind remarks, all I can see is the mistakes I have made. It is not the standard I have seen of your builds. I have to get it flown before making plans to come to Germany. I have the 6 turbine engine Arado 555 and the Boulton Paul P111 to complete the Large Model rules for 1 hours flying before I can bring either. We just need it to stop raining and the wind to calm down. If all goes well we plan to go to Pampa in Belgium and Porz near Koln this year.

Meanwhile I have some more fun in the workshop....I am just not happy unless I am making something.

John
Ok when you are in Porz I sepent you and you crew a Beer !
HortenI is offline Find More Posts by HortenI
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortenI View Post
Ok when you are in Porz I sepent you and you crew a Beer !
Now where did I put my passport