HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:35 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Video of Gearbox Comparison and Reason for replacing!

Coast Guard Rescue Ship RC Model with GD600 Gearbox 10-10-2012 (1 min 26 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:04 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
New GD-600 Gearbox and Motor Re-Installed!

Guys,

Got the new GD-600 Gearbox and Brushed 600 size motor re-installed on the Coast Guard Rescue Ship. Had an opportunity to test "Dry" Run it and sound like a Turbine at High RPMs and best of all, super smooth!

Coast Guard Rescue Ship RC Model test run using the new GD-600 Gearbox 10-10-2012 (3 min 23 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:21 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Another "Wet" Test Run is in the works!

Seems like I will need to Test Run the model back in the bath Tub once again to get new AMP (Current) draw measurements using the new GD-600 Gearbox with the 2.5:1 ratio and noting that it is much smoother and hopefully the results are going to be nothing over 15 - 17 AMPs at wide open.

Later!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
My Comments about Dog Bone Noise...

Just so, you all know.....

I carefully angled the motor/gearbox assembly several times until the motor/gearbox and Universal Joint could spin at effortless manner without any hard points spots of stiffness. I did not start the Video until then.

The noise is just normal vibrations coming from the Dog Bone as it is in there somewhat snug and not tight so, it maybe creating some vibrations as it shifts a little.

As a matter of fact, the motor/gearbox assembly was at a higher angle with the previous Gearbox with the ruined Spur Gear and the angle was even more at a critical angle.

I hope and suspect that the up-and-coming "WET" Current Measurement in Bath Tub will exhibit even lower AMP Draw, not only taking account of the better angles but, realizing the more gearbox ratio of 2.5:1

Stay Tuned.
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,231 Posts
Looks good so far. Also it looks like you'll empty the bathtub onto the floor at full power!
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:56 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
Looks good so far. Also it looks like you'll empty the bathtub onto the floor at full power!
Thanks!!!

I was surprised that it did not slash that much water. I did keep that model at bay and did not dare lift it up or let it go while the model was wide open!

I will fill tonight with additional more water.

First, I will bend the Motor/Gearbox Bracket some more to make a perfect alignment with the universal / Dog bone issue. Tony called, said he did not like it and to please make it better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:59 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
2nd Current Draw Test "Wet"

Okay guys,

All I had to do is place a small folded up double sticky foam tape and keeping the adhesive cover and placed it underneath the bottom end of the plastic gearbox (part does not get hot) and the motor was raised enough to keep the Universal / Dog Bone straight like an arrow![]

Of course the Bath Tub was filled once again and this time I allowed the water to go up a few more inches and testing began while Video Recording.

Just a few Still Pictures before the Video....

TEST RESULTS:

1/4 Throttle: 3.3 AMPs, 38 Watts
1/2 Throttle: 6.0 AMPs, 73 Watts
Full Throttle: 15.0 AMPs, 172+ Watts

Coast Guard Rescue Ship RC Model Current Run Test #2 10-10-2012 (2 min 39 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Mar 2011
48 Posts
Interesting stuff. Shame you couldn't get some baseline speed readings with the GPS and the original gearbox. Oh well better to fix it now then have the gearbox shoot pieces of the gears through the hull a hundred feet out in the pond.
QuickLTD is offline Find More Posts by QuickLTD
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:42 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
Interesting stuff. Shame you couldn't get some baseline speed readings with the GPS and the original gearbox. Oh well better to fix it now then have the gearbox shoot pieces of the gears through the hull a hundred feet out in the pond.
Totally agree!! That Spur Gear really looked very bad! I never thought a piece of Nylon Spur gear can deform in that manner!!

In the morning, I am planning to run the Coast Guard Rescue Ship at the man made lake adjacent to my RC Club, Moon Port Modelers and this time I am installing the Garmin Geko GPS for Ground Speed measurements.

Stay tuned!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,723 Posts
Here are some of the statistics of the USCG 40' Utility Boat. It is not a USCG Cutter, as cutters are 65' long or longer, with messing and berthing facilities for a permanently assigned crew. The 40' UTB was in service from 1950 to the mid 1980's.

40' LOA
11' 2" Beam
3'2" Draft
Main engines - 2 Diesels (GM 6-71 rated at 190 HP @ 2,000 RPM)
Max Speed - 23 Knots
Cruise Speed - 18 Knots

Based on the numbers you provided in the first post, the model is roughly 1:16 scale. Actual speed to produce a scale wake is 4.5 mph - 5.8 mph. Now for some pictures.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:34 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Bob,

Thanks so much for those pictures of the real one! I have seen most of those on the Web when I was scouting for the picture you see on the first post.

Yes indeed 1/16th scale it is!

Super!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:01 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Totally agree!! That Spur Gear really looked very bad! I never thought a piece of Nylon Spur gear can deform in that manner!!

In the morning, I am planning to run the Coast Guard Rescue Ship at the man made lake adjacent to my RC Club, Moon Port Modelers and this time I am installing the Garmin Geko 201 GPS for Ground Speed measurements.

Stay tuned!
Carlos
As promised, I went out this morning and test ran my Coast Guard Rescue Ship. I may perhaps stay out at the Lake for a Good Long Time since the Motor and ESC did not exhibit any warm to the touch manners and of course the Forced Water Cooling worked flawlessly.

Some pictures of today's action!

Initial Re-set of all parameters on the Garmin Geko 201 Display!

Lake Side!

Ready to Run!

Results!!!!!!

Short Video of nothing more than 3/4 Throttle:
Coast Guard Rescue RC Ship run with Electrifly GD-600 Gearbox and Speed 600 Motor 10-12-2012 (1 min 12 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, FL, Valrico
Joined Mar 2011
48 Posts
That GPS fits right in there. I had a Garmin etrex for a long time until my adult son wanted to see how fast he was going on his downhill skate board.. I am sure you can figure out how that ended. LOL

Hey can you post a picture or two of the stern showing the prop and rudder as well as your water pick up are mounted for the motor cooling? I saw the pick you posted earlier in the thread but I am looking for more of a close up.
QuickLTD is offline Find More Posts by QuickLTD
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:12 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
That GPS fits right in there. I had a Garmin etrex for a long time until my adult son wanted to see how fast he was going on his downhill skate board.. I am sure you can figure out how that ended. LOL

Hey can you post a picture or two of the stern showing the prop and rudder as well as your water pick up are mounted for the motor cooling? I saw the pick you posted earlier in the thread but I am looking for more of a close up.
Thanks! I will take closeup pictures soon showing the Water Pickup and Propeller Output and Rudder. Give me a few....
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:13 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,934 Posts
Afternoon Speed Run 10-12-2012

Hi Guys,

As you may noticed, I was not satisfied with the Speed Results and went ahead to Re-Charge my twin 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C, Li-POLYs and did so carefully in the car while I waited for some friends that never showed up. No problems since it was Friday Late Afternoon and people have things to do with family and such.

I used this time effectively and cleaned up the model and waxed it[] What else would I do with my time while the batteries were on the charger?[]
No Seriously, I trimmed some Velcro Industrial Pieces and secured the Garmin Geko 201 GPS unit on top of the lower step cargo hold cover and other adjustments.

Once again, I reset all GPS parameters such as Top Speed, Moving Average etc...on the Garmin Geko 201 GPS hand held unit.

A few pictures before the video.....[]

RCG Plus Member