HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:53 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Thanks for the photos. How about a tutorial on "Mixing Differential/Reflex/Rudder to Aileron Coupling with your DX7 and Ar600 or Higher RX for the FMS ASW-28" for those of us who are clueless when it comes to mixing and programming?
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronht View Post
Here are some pics of the simple mods I've done -

I'm using a 2200 3s battery which required adding weight to the tail boom and I balanced the wings with a quarter sized coin. (a Chinese Yuan I had laying around to be exact although any coin will work)

You can see how well the altitude telemetry module fits in the cockpit with the AR600 receiver.
OK pictures help!
Do you if you can use steam or hot water to take crease out of this type of foam?
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:41 AM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
I don't have a DX 7 so I can't walk you through setting up reflex on that transmitter without knowing how it's menus are set up, however, I saw several examples listed when I googled "reflex DX7" I suggest you try that.

As far as using steam or hot water to remove creases, I believe that will work on this type of foam, but I'd recommend searching for more information on that as well.
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
940 Posts
Foam Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
OK pictures help!
Do you if you can use steam or hot water to take crease out of this type of foam?
Been away from hobby and not sure about the different types of foams but this birds finish is smooth and tough!
Held nose in hot water and crease all but disappeared!

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,793 Posts
Pure Glider?

I love the scale lines on this model. I know it isn't perfect, but it looks pretty darn good. As it is a scale glider, I am not a fan of the prop on the front. Has anyone converted theirs to a pure glider? Perhaps shaping a block of foam to replace the spinner? Or what I have done in the past is just fill in the spinner with expansion foam. Once filled, fill the remainding divets where the prop would come through with plastic model filler, then sand and paint. Works great, and looks pretty sharp. I love scale gliders, but I dont like electrically boosted scale gliders unless it is an RMS set-up or some other scale propulsion system.

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,431 Posts
Hi, Cubcrazy.

I think that for a "pure" glider I would go with the FlyFly composite available from HobbyKing. It should be stressed for hi-start or winch launching and it has flaps.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:10 AM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,793 Posts
That IS a great looking -28. I just love foam airplanes. It's not that I am afraid of crashing, I just like dealing with the material. And if repairs or mods are deemed necessary, it is so much more enjoyable to deal with than wood or fiberglass. If I were to mod the FMS -28 to make it pure glider, I would install one of my custom tow releases in the nose and run it off a 2200mah lipo with BEC. Aero- tow it, and get crazy long flights with that size battery.

Cheers,

-Cub
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:32 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, Cubcrazy.

I think that for a "pure" glider I would go with the FlyFly composite available from HobbyKing. It should be stressed for hi-start or winch launching and it has flaps.
I had the FlyFly DG-1000. Fantastic scale glider for the price.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:34 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Here's an ASW-28 I wish I still had. Composite, one of the first RC sailplanes I ever owned. Got into RC electric planes and sold her.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:34 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
746 Posts
So is everybody on vacation? I am really interested in this bird......
How is it flying in general? Is it a good thermalling ship?
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:00 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
It's a great scale-looking and performing foam glider for the price. Thermals should not be a problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Hallo.
The glider looks awesome.I am wondering about the wings.Are they reinforced wit CF?
Also,how do you transport this beauty to the field?.I am kind of new with this great hobby and any help is always welcomed.
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:54 PM
Little Rock Regional, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2002
4,585 Posts
Yes... wings have carbon tubes and a heavy steel joiner. Wings come apart for transport. You do have to join with joiner plates and 8 screws at field but only takes a few minutes.

Stringfly <>+++++
STRINGFLY is offline Find More Posts by STRINGFLY
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
785 Posts
I'm thinking of getting this glider. I like the way it looks. Are there spare parts for it, say motor/prop/spinner? And how does belly land? Nicely?
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Aug 07, 2012, 06:04 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn View Post
Been away from hobby and not sure about the different types of foams but this birds finish is smooth and tough!
Held nose in hot water and crease all but disappeared!

Tim
Glad you used hot water. As a warning to others, don't use steam. I tried that on another plane and it heated the surface very quickly to the point that the surface beads expanded, but anything below the surface had no time to heat up so all I got is a lumpy surface. Hot water, and not too close to boiling, will heat it through much better and expand everything back to where it started or close. It won't be as rigid as it originally was, but a little carbon fiber imbedded in the right places will take care of that.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks