HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2011, 09:26 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
The current state of my V400 #1. This is what pushing the limits got me. Now i can push my limits on the bench.

I wont be putting her back together until i get another set of hitec hs 5055mg servos. Im putting this set in one of my 450s.
Dang kdean, that thing is broke down all the way. I know you love working on them. So do I, each time you rebuild you do it a little better........Its just sometimes.

But if you think about it, if you never broke and had to fix, some of the magic of this hobby would be gone.
I can do pretty much everything thats not 3D except fly backward for very far. I havn't even tried. I couldn't do circles in both directions but I practiced for a couple weeks and I can do that now.

I love taking those FP helis to the park when the wind is down.

I told myself I didn't want to learn 3D but now I'm not sure.
I don't crash the Blueray, havn't crashed since I put the HiTec HS 65MG servos in it which is about 300 flights now, probably more.

Now I'm looking at the Trex 550e they have at HeliHeli for $850 shipped. It comes with all the stuff, 3aixis flybarless, good servos and motor everything. You won't crash this one. And if I wanted to try a roll or flip or loop(or what ever you call those things)you just fly high enough to be able to put out if something goes wrong. But if for some reason you do crash, you have to throw $150 or more dallors at it

So you can tell I don't know what I want. I'm at odds with myself
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:23 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
wow.. kdean and dilberto,
when taken a part, the heli doesnt seems so complicated..

btw i like to have the steel tail braces (or dono what it called, the thing to strengthen the tail support).. but too bad cannot find it here
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:54 AM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Well, this is getting frustrating! I soldered up a new brushless ESC so that it would fit in my V400, I rerouted the motor wires to minimize RF interference, and repositioned the signal converter to avoid RF, as well. I programmed the ESC by way of the programming card, and then I set my throttle limits as instructed in the ESC manual; all standard stuff. Everything looked great, and so I spooled up for a test run. The glitching is actually worse. The brushless motor didn't seem to run quite as well, either. The motor seemed to develop a sort of "screachy" sound once I hit a certain rpm--somehow I don't really remember hearing it do that as much before, but memory may be failing me here. Still, it makes me wonder if the motor bearings are going out. So, now, it's time to switch out the motor and see what happens.

At the same time, I have been wondering about the stock Walkera ESC. How would I be able to tell if it's going bad? Are there well known symptoms? I do remember a lot of symptoms, which I blamed solely on the brushed motor. But, was I wrong? What if my stock motors were fine, but the stock ESC was making them seem like they were going out? If the new motor doesn't change things for the better, then I'm going to just replace the stock ESC too.

Still working hard to make this heli work, still hoping for the best but willing to settle for a bit less, but getting kind of tired of this heli altogether . . .
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:37 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
hey nav, sucks about your glitch problems, i know how that can be frustrating, but hang in there. Hopefully once you switch out the motor, that will do the trick. Sometimes with debugging these things, it would be nice to have two of the same helicopter to swap parts out with. It'll be a while until I get another heli, but i'm thinking a second v400...
dilberto is offline Find More Posts by dilberto
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Thanks Dilberto. I'll post my results once I test it (I'll know immediately upon first spooling). Maybe all this effort will help someone else some day . . .

I too was thinking about a second CP heli, but I was looking at the 4F200 instead of another V400. But now I read that the 4F200 also can be very glitchy, but for entirely different reasons. Yeah, I think I'll hold off for a while on that one, at least for now.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Well, this is getting frustrating! I soldered up a new brushless ESC so that it would fit in my V400, I rerouted the motor wires to minimize RF interference, and repositioned the signal converter to avoid RF, as well. I programmed the ESC by way of the programming card, and then I set my throttle limits as instructed in the ESC manual; all standard stuff. Everything looked great, and so I spooled up for a test run. The glitching is actually worse. The brushless motor didn't seem to run quite as well, either. The motor seemed to develop a sort of "screachy" sound once I hit a certain rpm--somehow I don't really remember hearing it do that as much before, but memory may be failing me here. Still, it makes me wonder if the motor bearings are going out. So, now, it's time to switch out the motor and see what happens.

At the same time, I have been wondering about the stock Walkera ESC. How would I be able to tell if it's going bad? Are there well known symptoms? I do remember a lot of symptoms, which I blamed solely on the brushed motor. But, was I wrong? What if my stock motors were fine, but the stock ESC was making them seem like they were going out? If the new motor doesn't change things for the better, then I'm going to just replace the stock ESC too.

Still working hard to make this heli work, still hoping for the best but willing to settle for a bit less, but getting kind of tired of this heli altogether . . .
Did you have a timing setting for your ESC? I set my Turnigey at 15 degrees but you might try a littke bit up or down. Just an idea.
I'm not trying to talk people out of Walkera here. Really. I just don't think all this trouble is nesessary. I have 9 or 10 of them and have had lots of fun. But if you really want to fly helicopters and especailly if your past the crash stage , you can get a Blueray clone for $210. If you have a 2801 tx you just need a rx and your off. No more wondering why You can grow well into the future of your skill advancement. I'm still new at this, so take it all with a grain of salt. This is just what I've seen
Old Aug 10, 2011, 03:44 PM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Hi Barnstorm100, my ESC has Low, Medium, and High timing. I've been running it on Low, but did shift it to Medium yesterday. The glitch was still present, it was just stronger since the motor was running faster. In absense of a solution, I put the timing back to Low.

You make a good point with regards to the Blueray clone.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:22 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,100 Posts
I love my 120 , i knew you would love yours.
Also i got my rtf brushless system today. Put it on and took off, wow that thing screams louder than both my kids together, 2 girls lol. The power was amazing. I thought i had power ..... But now i do. Had to trim my throttle curve to 80 for test. 4 minutes and landed. I will test my st 1 and 2 soon. Go pro cam coming tomorrow , a day early , yehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilberto View Post
Got the first half of the third battery of my new v120d02 on vid and even risked a spin at the end for your entertainment It sure has a similar feel to its older cuz the v400 so that's a plus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkMcNrigM7E
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Last edited by Heli Biggie; Aug 10, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 06:31 PM
theroo
Joined Oct 2004
24 Posts
theroo

need help . i have a v400do2 heli and have bpught a 2801 pro trans and i cant seem to get the trans set. i have switched it to the 2601 trans setting and have everything working except the pitch curve set. i cant get enough total pitch . anybody out have the trans setting for this heli. the rec is a 2614v thanks tom
theroo is offline Find More Posts by theroo
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:41 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroo View Post
theroo

need help . i have a v400do2 heli and have bpught a 2801 pro trans and i cant seem to get the trans set. i have switched it to the 2601 trans setting and have everything working except the pitch curve set. i cant get enough total pitch . anybody out have the trans setting for this heli. the rec is a 2614v thanks tom
use it on 2801 trans setting. see if that works, it worked for me and I never tried the 2603 trans setting.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 08:56 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
I love my 120 , i knew you would love yours.
Also i got my rtf brushless system today. Put it on and took off, wow that thing screams louder than both my kids together, 2 girls lol. The power was amazing. I thought i had power ..... But now i do. Had to trim my throttle curve to 80 for test. 4 minutes and landed. I will test my st 1 and 2 soon. Go pro cam coming tomorrow , a day early , yehaw
glad to hear you got your brushless up and running, gotta love the extra power Bigger batteries help tame it down a bit, those 15c blue lipos got real hot running my brushless setup. Some gen ace2200mah 20 or 25c work well, and weigh it down a bit to be more tame and more wind resistant oh, and throttle "trimmed" to 80 I like around 65 to 75, but had it all the way down to 60 and still plenty of power!

oh, fyi, flew more batteries today and still happy with the v120. I crashed it a few times and for a while it was flying funky, but i found out one of the blades was coming a little loose, so i tightened that and the little one flew solid as a rock

looking forward to videos from your new cam!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:30 AM
Joined Jan 2011
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post

Hey navigator, I had one more idea. Somebody in another thread had the same problem as you. Check the batteries in your TX for loose connections.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
Hi Barnstorm100, thanks for the tip. I use a LIPO in the Tx--it's plugged in solid as a rock. Acutally, I have the hardest time getting the LIPO unplugged when it comes time for charging.

Yesterday, my new Esky motor and RTF-Heli pinion gear arrived at the door. The pinion is a perfect fit, but the motor had to be worked on to get it into the heli--solder new leads, remove a weird mounting plate from the motor, shorten the mounting bolts to fit in the V400.

After a while, got the whole thing installed into the heli with just the right pinch of free play between the pinion and main gear. It is interesting that the motor is so much easier to hand-turn than the Alpha 400, but the 3950kV of the Esky is immediately obvious during spool up, even more powerful.

So, I decided to run two packs this morning with maybe 10 minutes of cooling time between. The good news is this motor-pinion combo seems a lot more smooth, pretty much zero cogging at start up. The bad news is that the glitch is still present. But a bit more good news is that it only glitched one time during each battery pack, which is much less than before.

What's weird is that during the second glitch, the motor actually played a "musical note," kind of like during the binding process. During the musical note, the tail jerked CCW for a split-second and then immediately corrected itself. This is clearly a motor misfire, but I don't think it's the motor's fault. Rather, there's something glitchy in the signal to the motor.

There's just not much left to check in the system--only the stock brushed ESC and the signal converter remain. While I may have a glitchy signal converter, it is the stock ESC that is drawing my attention now. As I mentioned above, I am wondering if the stock ESC was killing my brushed motors all along, just making me think the motors were going out. None of my brushed motors ever "burned out;" they would just get weaker with hit and miss performance. They would have good performance, then all of a sudden the motor would get weaker with a corresponding change in sound, then sometimes the performance would improve, scaring the crap out of me. This behavior would just get worse over time. Once this "weakness" happened right at spool up, I just assumed the motors were toast.

Only problem with this is that the last motor got super weak right at spool up, before the motor even had a chance to get overheated. The motor only has about 5 flights on it, and the brushes look just fine. Could it be the Walkera ESC causing this? If so, I wonder what effect this would have on the signal converter and the brushless system performance?

I apologize for such a long post--I have so many thoughts about this, the post grew too long before I noticed.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:00 AM
Folding Spacetime
Joined Jul 2011
1,953 Posts
One more thought that makes me suspect the Walkera ESC is that with my CB180D, no matter how hot it's brushed motor gets, it just keeps on running. And, once it cools, it performs just as it should. I have way more than 100 flights on the original motor, and I have even run multiple batteries in a row (before I learned about letting things cool).

Come to think of it, even the tail motor on the V400 gets hotter than hell, but keeps on working just fine. So, why would heat alone cause the brushed main motor in the V400 is bog down so quickly?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:35 PM
Human Being
Joined Jun 2011
1,435 Posts
navigator, i went through a similar type of issue with the brushed motors before I switched. The symptoms sounded similar to yours, but after switching to the brushless I haven't had any problems. Granted I haven't had it running in a while, but that should change by this weekend (gotta cut the grass after work today, or else i'd finish it up now). I've been putting the little v120 to some good use though

The thing that struck me as most odd about your glitch that you had, is that you said it played a musical note.... Those notes come from the esc, but the walkera esc and the brushless esc (which brand are you using?) make different tones. I can tell the difference on mine because the walkera one is usually just a high pitch beep, where the other one is a lower pitched musical sounding tone. If it came from your walkera esc, then that's likely your problem. If it came from the brushless esc, it could still be either the signal converter or the walkera esc (but not the brushless since you already switched that out). I'm just trying to think what type of signal the brushless esc would have to receive to glitch the motor and play a tone. Sounds like it might have just lost it's power temporarily. Anyway, not sure if this will help debug, but that's my thoughts on the issue...

oh, and don't worry about the long post, i get carried away like that sometimes too