HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:52 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
haveing had signal issues, binding issues, brown out issues with spektrum I WILL NEVER GO BACK. My futaba has been solid!!! almost all the guy around me that have spektrum radios have had issues . The guys useing the the JR radios with the spektrum stuff have had better luck. None of the futaba guys that I know have had a single issues
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:44 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,868 Posts
i wont go back to JR OR SPECTRUM , i have never had a issue with FUTABA. the reason i have jr and spectrum were they are cheaper in price. the only spectrum i have now is for my rock crawler and jr is 27mhz in my lst2 . the 3 channel surface radiio has issues once in a while and i am only a few ft away, god forbid its in the heli . nope wont touch spectrum or THE NEW JR's with a 500 ft pole .
if you have good luck and no brown outs with yours thats fine , but i have been let down with 4 controllers , 2 jr and 2 spectrum .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:50 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I use the original V1 version of this. I guess that's what you have. More than adequate for my helis. No expo is the main downer, but range is fine, even without the secondary receiver.
I have that one AND the 9x (with expo, 8 model memory). Radio choice is like Canon vs. Nikon for cameas. The debate rages forever. In the end they both have their pluses and minuses and they're a tool to get something done.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:55 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
I did get my heli fixed up. Got the wag out. I put a new straight TT in it. Changed all the gears and put 3 TT bearings on it. Tail is back to solid. Now I just need to balance the main blades(they are not bad but it doesnt hurt to to check)
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:50 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Only if you have lots of spare money and plan to spend lots of it in the long run. Bearing in mind we're in a thread discussing helis where you can get a complete kit for $10. I've still not seen any suggestions for alternative RXs at anywhere close to the price of $23 for an Orange satellite set up (let alone $8 for a single RX), nor for a computer radio comparable in price and capability to a DX6i for those of us on a real budget. I certainly don't have $2.5k spare to spend - those who's only financial consideration is sneaking it past the spouse aren't in quite the same marketplace.
With respect to the above having 2.5k and sneaking something past the Princess are NOT mutually exclusive terms.

I went the round a bout rout of starting with this hobby and starting with the WRONG machine when I should have done what many folk have adivsed, start with a sim and a 450!

In my personal condtion written previously thats simply what worked in my world, keeping in mind that ones own personal condtion is their own.

I enjoy having a machine (two) that is 90% the quality of a Trex and is a fraction of the price.

Yours fraternally!

b

ps I LOVE my Dx6i (for now)
pss Edited with disclaimer
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Nov 16, 2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:52 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
The cost of a DX6i with an AR6200 receiver is $200 per Horizon Hobby's site.
The cost of an RDS8000 with an 8 channel receiver is $200 per Airtronic's site.
Fair enough - as I said previously, I checked UK street prices, and that was far from the case here. I can of course get a DX6i on its own for £70 ($110), along with a $8 RX...

Quote:
As far as the cost of the satellite on HK, it bothers me that they want more for the unit than the cost of the original receiver.
That's simply because you don't understand HobbyKing economics. Come to that it's not even anything that strange in the normal supply and demand system - there's considerable competition for cheap receivers, none (yet) for satellites. You're getting confused between price and value.

Quote:
Do some research on DSSS vs FHSS. The benefit isn't theoretical.
Surely any research I do would just tell me... the theory? As it happens I'm a comms engineer, so I know all about the difference - the point being that if it doesn't cause your aircraft to fall out of the sky, the difference is theoretical.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:52 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
I see RB's point of view, and I kinda agree on his point, but I have seen people fork out big $$$ in this hobby only to give it up with in less than 2 years. I've seen them buy futaba TX, with the latest Raptors, then they bling it out. They hardly fly it, because they were always to scared to crash it. And I have seen people like me and you, who splurges on the cheap, but gets heaps of air time with heaps of crashes, and still loving the hobby. So with that in mind. I have no frikkin clue what I'm talking about, all I know is I use the cheap walkera 2801 TX v1, and I still haven't learnt how to use it to the full potential. I still need to learn Pmixes. But anyway I crashed today, I hit a tree, doing a nose in hover. My fault, I'm preety sure the tree didn't jump infront of my heli, but luckily it wasn't a raptor, just a cheap $20 250 plastic clone. I crash on the sim aswell. Ijust can't wait to lower my crash rate. Then I'll move up in the scale. I'm very happy that i took this route, instead of going out all big, as what most people recommend. So I agree with you in a way aswell. This hobby luckily facilitates all kinds of people with different needs. And I hope it will never change.

Here here!

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:10 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,377 Posts
450 heli definition?

What is the definition of a 450 size heli? The blades are 325mm x 2 = 650mm plus hub and grips. I don’t know what on the machine that measures 450 anything. Been thinking to ask this question for a while.

Thanks in advance, Piper J3
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:26 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
Bigger than a 400 and smaller than a 500

In reality, it means nothing, it was a marketing term. At one time it had something to do with the motor, but even that is meaningless.
Shogun/Zoom 400 had a "Speed 400" size brushed motor. The Trex 450 was bigger and had a bigger motor.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:31 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
The 250 is based on a 250 sized brushless motor, the 400 is based on a 400 sized brushless motor, the 450 has a 450 size motor, and a 500 has a 500 size motor.

They sized by there motor
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:54 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
The 250 is based on a 250 sized brushless motor, the 400 is based on a 400 sized brushless motor, the 450 has a 450 size motor, and a 500 has a 500 size motor.

They sized by there motor
The 1st 3 are correct 250, 400 and 450 were all originally based on motor size, however the 500, 550, 600 and 700 heli's are all based on blade size.

The mini Titan 325, is based on blade size which makes it the same size as a trex 450!!
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:10 AM
Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,311 Posts
Hey guys,

what does it mean when you are hovering, and apply some left (or right) rudder, and when you let go of the rudder stick, the heli slowly points back to where it was before applying the rudder.

is this a gyro problem or tail slider problem???
Wade1 is offline Find More Posts by Wade1
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:16 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,868 Posts
i think it may be a setup problem, can it fly in rate mode without adjusting the tail trim?
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:19 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade1 View Post
Hey guys,

what does it mean when you are hovering, and apply some left (or right) rudder, and when you let go of the rudder stick, the heli slowly points back to where it was before applying the rudder.

is this a gyro problem or tail slider problem???
oh man wade1 you still having tail problems. Did you do the mod? I'd normally say put a quark in it, but that's a bit pricey. It usually means your gain is too high. The gyro could have become faulty, Or there is a mechanical issue with your heli.

Wade1, if it is the gyro, just hang on to your wallet, I just got an email from the Assan maker, here's what he said:

sorry, i can't help. the GA410 haven't delay swtich,it's can't do this work.

we will have a new MEMS tiny gyro,called GA-250.it's 8g totally.i think maybe you need update your gyro now.

yours,

meng
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Last edited by pitchp; Nov 17, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:22 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
i think it may be a setup problem, can it fly in rate mode without adjusting the tail trim?
Didn't you had similar gyro problems with your 250??
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp