HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I was going to buy two of those from oo! Are you here from the 450 forum? Any opinion on this 450 tail case?
The vibration log on the Robird G31 shows that it produces far less vibrations in the tail area than the Align style tailcase I was using previously. The bearings are a tight fit with no play but I'd still use some bearing retainer to keep them from potentially spinning in the race. I just wish they'd come out with a single piece tailcase that uses a shaft and pully with a grub screw like the Beam.

It lacks the pin that goes into the hole in the boom that the Align style tailcase has. What I do is put a little CA on the end of the boom and let it dry to give it something to grab so I don't have to over tighten the screws (you only need a little bit on one side, and be sure to let it dry completely before inserting it). Also I didn't like that the clamping screws weren't long enough to protrude out the other side of the hole. I like to have the screw stick out the other side a few mm to put a nut on, and to provide something to grab should the screw ever break.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 10, 2012 at 04:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:55 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,823 Posts
I have that 450 tail on my scale md530. It is great for a scale bird that you need to put the boom into the shell, but both my bearings had to be replaced. Someone else on the forum has it as well and had to replace the bearings as well. Very notchy right out of the package. Maybe Tarot has found a new supplier. Both units are over a year old and only cost $11 at the time.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I wish Tarot would make a 500 size version of this
I would buy one in a heartbeat. The one I have on my 450 was great out of the package.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The vibration log on the Robird G31 shows that it produces far less vibrations in the tail area than the Align style tailcase I was using previously.
Just wanted to say thanks again AS and mhills, I have two on the way. I almost have the Tarot 450 Pro v2 in the cart, but would like to try one more time with a stronger belt and worthy belt tail case for the 6S 450.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
500 Pro canopy fits the 500 ESP if you put it on like an SEv2 canopy (don't try to fit it into the clip this will probably cause it to crack over time) The edges of the canopy touch the maingear but I'm pretty sure this can be solved by moving the canopy spacers to the forward screw on the motor mount (the canopy spacers don't touch the Pro canopy in their original position anyway). The best way I can think of to do this is to get some longer M3 screws and some nylon standoffs with a 3mm inside diameter to replace the metal thing inside the rubber canopy spacer. Alternatively you could just cut some pieces of 3mm ID plastic tubing yourself.

My 500 looks like a giant 450 Sport now and I love it.

Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:36 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,085 Posts
Got my hk500CMT today! Pretty excited about this thing. Turnigy typhoon 500, hk401b gyro, turnigy tgy930's all the way around, turnigy 85A w/ 5A SBEC a 6s 3000mah zippy and spare parts to boot. Now I just have to get rid of the stock canopy and Ill be in business
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,406 Posts
Congrads on your NEW hk-500..Been awhile since anyone in here has bought one. Turnigy Mg-930 is great for cyclics..Going to be slow on your tail however. Most ppl that have tried this servo on their tail were not pleased and soon went with something faster,, For a tail servo plastic gears are best. Its speed your after. I always recomend the standard align ds520 for the tail on a 500.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:00 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,406 Posts
A-skull: Your canopy looks Classic . Wher did you get those blades with the blue in them ? Those would look great on my 500e with the blue white canopy and blue kbdd tail blades.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:01 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,599 Posts
Hk500tt fbl?

Anyone got the HK500TT FBL? I see it has the lowered battery mount and the frame-mounted tail servo. I wonder if the quality matches that of the HK550's? Does it merit a separate thread?
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:27 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Congrads on your NEW hk-500..Been awhile since anyone in here has bought one. Turnigy Mg-930 is great for cyclics..Going to be slow on your tail however. Most ppl that have tried this servo on their tail were not pleased and soon went with something faster,, For a tail servo plastic gears are best. Its speed your after. I always recomend the standard align ds520 for the tail on a 500.
Agree 100% on the tail servo. The guy who had it before me had built a slew of these things and had the servo he used for the tail servo(not the tgy's) go out on him on 2 of the helis and all he had was the tgy's laying around. Tossed them in and hasnt been a problem for him. I, like him, dont do any real hard 3d. I think it will be ok for the first few flights so I will be ordering a new tail servo near the end of the month as my budget is just about up this month!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
A-skull: Your canopy looks Classic . Wher did you get those blades with the blue in them ? Those would look great on my 500e with the blue white canopy and blue kbdd tail blades.
They came with the Tarot 500 kit.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Anyone got the HK500TT FBL? I see it has the lowered battery mount and the frame-mounted tail servo. I wonder if the quality matches that of the HK550's? Does it merit a separate thread?
I'm pretty sure that whoever is making the HK550 is also making the HK500GT FBL and HK450GT FBL and that it's not Skya. Some have suggested that it might be Tarot's second or third tier quality bin. Tarot is already known to put out lower quality unbranded versions of their products. Certainly HK has been carrying some Tarot branded products (the fixed link sets they carry come in a Tarot bag), and a lot of their heli upgrades now look suspiciously identical to Tarot products.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
I always recomend the standard align ds520 for the tail on a 500.
I second that. I ended up spending many hours trying to sort out tail issues on my CopterX500. I tried several cheap servo/gyro options trying to save a dollar. And after all the headaches I ended up buying a DS520 paired with an old Futaba GY240 I had in my surplus and things were sweet. Well they were sweet until until my CopterX tail rotor released a grip during a high speed diving pass, but my combo held true with the tail rock solid as it ploughed into the ground hehe. My 500 has been sitting on the bench for a few months all busted up, but last weekend I was having such a great time flying my CopterX450 until the forward belt drive gear separated(I didnt even know it had two parts) allowing the belt to slip off the gear resulting in a spiraling attempt at grounding her. Anyway on the back of the fun I had with my 450 I decided to build HK500GT this time. Heres a couple of pics on my CX450 and CX500 in mint condition. Oh well clones rock !!
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I second that. I ended up spending many hours trying to sort out tail issues on my CopterX500. I tried several cheap servo/gyro options trying to save a dollar. And after all the headaches I ended up buying a DS520 paired with an old Futaba GY240 I had in my surplus and things were sweet. Well they were sweet until until my CopterX tail rotor released a grip during a high speed diving pass, but my combo held true with the tail rock solid as it ploughed into the ground hehe. My 500 has been sitting on the bench for a few months all busted up, but last weekend I was having such a great time flying my CopterX450 until the forward belt drive gear separated(I didnt even know it had two parts) allowing the belt to slip off the gear resulting in a spiraling attempt at grounding her. Anyway on the back of the fun I had with my 450 I decided to build HK500GT this time. Heres a couple of pics on my CX450 and CX500 in mint condition. Oh well clones rock !!
Beenflying was telling me that he's had great success with this tail servo on a ZYX. I'm pretty much just using his 500 setup on mine with Mi servos on the cyclic and tail, YEP80A ESC etc.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14831

Just have to remember to not run these at over 280hz no matter what Blue Arrow's website says (the listed specs used to say 280hz max, then it changed to 333hz for some reason and people started having problems trying to run them at that)
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
(removed)
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM.