HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
Question
Looking for an Aussie that goes by the name of "Ozzy"....

Some of you on this forum know that I am looking to rebuild my Airstrike F3B winch.

I'm rounding up the parts (bearings) but have been warned by Dave Pratley, the man that make them, to be cautious when using a "budget" sprag bearing (the one-way clutch that you engage with the pin to prevent the winch from spooling out when you aren't on the pedal)...Dave says that cheap ones may not hold when a plane is pulling hard ion the line.

It seems these bearings are a little rare/hard to find. I have checked on line, and found a bearing house in Anaheim, CA (very close to me) that sells some inexpensive ones, but I have not found many other options.

In the "reviews" section of this particular bearing, an Australian gent that calls himself "Ozzy" says he's using this bearing for a glider winch.

So, I'm looking to see if its worked well for him, or if he's taken it out and replaced it with something else.

See the attached link, and page down to review.

Dave-
Thanks for the "heads up" on this problem to be avoided. Of course I would love to save money, and avoid international shipping, but not at the cost of doing the job twice, certainly!
So, looking for some hands on experience with this local product.

Thanks for any help, gentlemen.

R,
Target

http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchan...e-Way-Bearings
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Target

I purchased my one way bearing from mcmastercar. It has the 1/2 inch o.d. and it will hold more tension than I can.

Joe
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:26 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
Hi, Joe.
The one I need is metric, 25mm I'd, 52mm OD, and 15mm wide, non keyed.
I'll check MMC and Grainger.

R,
Target
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:42 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,941 Posts
Bearings

Target,
I got a good bearing connection, give me a ring...
I get lots of metric stuff for my german machines..

B
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:12 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
OK, I will call your cell tomorrow, Bob.

Joe-
No joy at MMC, and get this: Granger's website is "down for scheduled maintenance" right now....

R,
Target
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:07 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
53 Posts
Hi Target
Ozzy hear its funny how infomation spreads yes iv been using that bearing for about six months i am using it on a TD / J / b Winch i am using 1.3 mono and have streched it till the winch has allmost staled the bearing is still going strong no sign of slipping just for peace of mind i would buy two bearings and keep one for a spair at the price its a bargin.
Good luck and taut lines

Paul (aka Ozzy)
ozzy1 is offline Find More Posts by ozzy1
Last edited by ozzy1; Mar 24, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:06 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,693 Posts
The man, the myth, the legend!

Awesome, Paul!

Thank you for the confirmation that these particular bearings are working out. I will take your suggestion, and buy a spare.
The sprag bearing that I was using was a bit draggy, so, between the new bearing set and getting the motor freshened up, the winch should be better than ever (for me) when I get it back together.

Its true that the internet DOES make the world a smaller place indeed.

Thanks again, sir!

R,
Target