HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
I'm pretty sure the USPS regulations on lipo batteries pertains to international shipments only.

So anyway, your right. They no longer offer USPS shipping. I misread it, it is UPS. Not USPS. My last 3 orders from them in the last 45 days were sent using USPS. It's likely not because of the lipos. It's probably because the USPS is the worst at handling packages. I myself boycotted using them for a long time. This hobby forced me back into using their services again. Then all of this starts going on. I have to assume this current trend is related to the USPS asking congress for more money last month. I wouldn't doubt if they have become less reliable after closing down so many locations and laying off so many. Otherwise these distributors must know something we don't. These distributors are probably getting tired of issues or something and just switching away from them. It's honestly the only thing i can think of. Otherwise it's all about greed and gain. I really don't know but it's really asking a lot for shipping these days. Especially on items that are so light and small. The lipos i understand weigh about 1.5-2 lb. But that is honestly still very light. I can't see paying more than $10 for almost anything this light. Especially when, like you said. Priority mail flat rate boxes are $5-12 for the ones that fit almost any of these products.

I suppose we all had better get used to it. The prices of everything will be increasing in the next few years.
You just have to shop smarter.....example: if you buy gens ace batteries you get a flat 4.95 rate if you spend over 100.00 and the weight doesn't matter.
Also, yes, i verified with the post office that the restrictions on lipo shipping is for international only. I just sent lipos to two members on here with no issue.
pmerritt is online now Find More Posts by pmerritt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:39 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
You just have to shop smarter.....example: if you buy gens ace batteries you get a flat 4.95 rate if you spend over 100.00 and the weight doesn't matter.
Also, yes, i verified with the post office that the restrictions on lipo shipping is for international only. I just sent lipos to two members on here with no issue.
Okay, I've heard that all before. That seems to be the carbon copy answer that everyone keeps repeating to me. I'd love to try Gens Ace out. Show me where any 4000 mAh 6S gens ace packs are in stock? Preferably domestically. Thats why i keep having to buy these Turnigy ones. Sometimes you get what you pay for. I know that. But Turnigy is cheap enough to replace if some thing happens and more importantly always in stock. The pack hangs off the nose of my X5 too, so it's likely to be tossed in a crash. So far they are treating me well, for now. I wouldn't doubt if Gens Ace are way better, everyone raves about them. But with them always being out of stock, at least where i'm looking and the few times i hit google looking. It's a total pain. With shipping prices rising, shopping overseas looks appealing. But before now, the wait time really sucks on international when I only had one freaking pack and was in a rush to get more. I went to my LHS and the guy dusted off, literally wiped the dust off, a thunder power pack which was labeled $149 or some nonsense. I told him i would give him $80 bucks and he actually thought about it i think. It was covered in a layer of dust. Had to be there for at least a year. HUGE contrast in price though. I bet thunder power is no better than these cheaper packs. I have yet to have any Turnigy pack puff on me either. Though i did have a 3S arrive puffed a little on one end and had 1 bad cell. I also had a hand full of 3S packs go bad on me too. Same with the turnigy 1S 0.9 Ah packs. Oh well, I'm still checking other brands out. But these seem to be the most reliable "cheap" packs. One reason i know hobbyking charges so much to ship a single 6S 4000 mAh lipo is because they put it in a large box with lots of air pack and bubble wrapping. The box is easily triple the size of the pack. So i've become comfortable with that assurance in shipping. I'm sure others do this as well. But you never know till you actually order.

I'm also thinking of ordering another few turnigy .9 Ah packs and waiting for those. Since they are not ever in stock in the US warehouse. I'm going to try to keep them under tight lipo control for max life. See how many cycles i get this time and keep an actual count, now that i have an app for that. Best i could tell those and the ones i got from wow were the best ones on life span. The ebay ones i got really just went to hell quickly. Same with the stock D05 packs. I also had some cheaper 650 mAh packs that only had charge plugs on them and i had to put my own JST on in place, those also degraded really rapidly.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 09, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Jun 2011
570 Posts
hi all,

has anyone of u had the main motor shaft falls out before? How do you put it back in place so that the shaft no longer comes out? or i will need a replacement motor already....?
eugenechong is online now Find More Posts by eugenechong
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:16 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenechong View Post
hi all,

has anyone of u had the main motor shaft falls out before? How do you put it back in place so that the shaft no longer comes out? or i will need a replacement motor already....?
The motors will go bad if you don't keep them lubed. At least the internal bearings will. But yes, i have had 2 motors do this to me. One was the original stock motor after about 6 months or so. The other was a Turbo Ace 215, that was actually sent to me broken like this by a RCG member. I was able to fix the motor by using a little bit of thread lock (very CAREFULLY, so not to get it in the bearings). There is a little brass bushing that is pressed on the shaft under the pinion to hold the outrunner bell on the motor. It becomes worn and slips down the shaft.I had to use a brass tube that i had laying around to cut for bushings for other parts. It was just a little wider than the shaft so i could pull the pinion off and use the brass tube to push the bushing back down. I suppose forked object would work too. The tiny amount of thread lock i applied with a needle tip seems to have held it together pretty well. It worked well enough to fix the Turbo Ace. It did fix the shaft/bell on the stock motor too. But i had never oiled the stock motor bearings so they were really rough feeling and gritty. So i never tried using the motor again. I'm sure it will still run but with bearings like that, the performance couldn't have been great.
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Dec 09, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,263 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4000MAH-6S-4...item53f020cf74 (free shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-2V-6S-400...item2a241bde7e (free shipping)
http://www.clubheli.com/RTF-6S-4000m...ry_p_4610.html
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=368 (oos keep an eye out though)

you really just have to explore but there's tons of deals on ebay i don't know why that wasn't one of the first places you looked.
pmerritt is online now Find More Posts by pmerritt
Last edited by pmerritt; Dec 09, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, NJ, Evesham Township
Joined Oct 2011
201 Posts
Did the size of the cone gears change? I just got a set, and they are binding. Looking closely, they appear to be a different size.
Dave O is offline Find More Posts by Dave O
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock
Joined Feb 2011
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Did the size of the cone gears change? I just got a set, and they are binding. Looking closely, they appear to be a different size.
B gear has a bigger tit on it. Sand it down until shaft is flush.
Crash Survivor is offline Find More Posts by Crash Survivor
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Oct 2011
201 Posts
Thanks, is that a V2 change?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, is that a V2 change?
I noticed it when I put Bob's slipper clutch on a V2 version. Binding big time. I actually still had a good B gear from my V1 versions & used it. I compared the difference & noticed the bigger tit. If I ever have to use the new version a fine file should do the job. Also noticed the shaft would not flush up even on the B gear & at first thought I had a defected/short shaft, but the V1 B gears would flush up even with the end of the shaft.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Oct 2011
201 Posts
That's what I thought. Took me forever to figure out what was causing the binding. Then I pulled out the old B gear.

Thanks, for the sanity check!

Dave O
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:09 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,107 Posts
Quote:
That's what I thought. Took me forever to figure out what was causing the binding. Then I pulled out the old B gear.

Thanks, for the sanity check!

Dave O
Before I figured it out I thought I ruined my motor & ordered a HP08S 16500KV. Glad I did though, my 8T M4 pinion got in last week & I put the motor on my first V1 V120D02S yesterday. Can't tell much difference in head speed but on flips they are tight now, no bogging so flipping low is sweet. But I did loose 2 minutes of flight time, timer set at 4 & a half minutes now, stock 600ma batteries.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4000MAH-6S-4...item53f020cf74 (free shipping)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-2V-6S-400...item2a241bde7e (free shipping)
http://www.clubheli.com/RTF-6S-4000m...ry_p_4610.html
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=368 (oos keep an eye out though)

you really just have to explore but there's tons of deals on ebay i don't know why that wasn't one of the first places you looked.
Actually, i have looked on ebay. Surprised the hell out of me actually. Usually the only ones are int if you click the "usa only" filter. Also, i'm not buying any of these other brand batteries you listed because i have not seen reviews about them. Even though the Gens Ace are more expensive, i'll have to try them at some point just to compare to the Turnigy. If they are no better it's not worth paying the extra $30-$35 for the Gens Ace either. That free shipping helps to even things out though. But to really know if there is a difference i'll have to run the gens ace and turnigy packs to the ends of their life. Takes a while. But thanks for the links. I already placed an order... Oh well. Next time hopefully they will still be there.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:25 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,107 Posts
Oh buy the way thanks IntegrityHndywrk on our PM asking your preference on which motor to get. That HP08S 16500KV with a 8T is nice.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:31 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Survivor View Post
Oh buy the way thanks IntegrityHndywrk on our PM asking your preference on which motor to get. That HP08S 16500KV with a 8T is nice.
Awesome! I'm glad it's working out for you. That motor is pretty good. Did you end up soldering direct or adding pins? I did the pins, but only to see how it would work out. So far i have not been getting any bog on the heli with that motor(on a good day), except from the battery. Starts up every time too.

I'm thinking about gearing down now and only flying on days with less wind. Because no matter what the head speed is the wind kills my flight time and at some random point can strain the motor enough black out the RX if i don't TH and drop it. So going with a smaller pinion might help with this, maybe. But the wind here is just too much. I want to do this sweet sounding 2S setup with a Castle ESC that has a governor on it. Now were talking about a lot more money though. Maybe one day. But with the bigger heli in my hangar.... Lets just say, going bigger is better for the wind if you have the space.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:40 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Joined Feb 2011
1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Awesome! I'm glad it's working out for you. That motor is pretty good. Did you end up soldering direct or adding pins? I did the pins, but only to see how it would work out. So far i have not been getting any bog on the heli with that motor(on a good day), except from the battery. Starts up every time too.

I'm thinking about gearing down now and only flying on days with less wind. Because no matter what the head speed is the wind kills my flight time and at some random point can strain the motor enough black out the RX if i don't TH and drop it. So going with a smaller pinion might help with this, maybe. But the wind here is just too much. I want to do this sweet sounding 2S setup with a Castle ESC that has a governor on it. Now were talking about a lot more money though. Maybe one day. But with the bigger heli in my hangar.... Lets just say, going bigger is better for the wind if you have the space.
I pulled the pin plug off an old CB100 motor & put on it. Wanted to stay plug & play if I want to put that motor on one of my other 3 V120D02S's later on. Starts up great & working good.