SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2014, 04:27 PM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
Build Log
Building a fiberglass RG65

Hi all: some months ago I started building an Rg65 based on Claudio Esterel 65h design. I will try to wrap up here what I've done so far, and will post updates as I move forward.

I have a detailed build log set up in spanish here: http://cach.cl/foroSMF/index.php?topic=28348.0

I will not repeat all the trial-and-error process in this thread, but simply show what the final result is. Stay tuned.
tarmstro is online now Find More Posts by tarmstro
Last edited by tarmstro; Feb 07, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2014, 04:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
First things first. I found the Ester65h design by Claudio D. on another forum. I really liked the big lateral chine, but modified the bottom to a traditional rounded one. This is the original design by Claudio D.:

Old Feb 05, 2014, 04:52 PM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
Next I built a jig for holding the shadows.

You'll notice there are two set of shadows, and that they are not symmetric. This is 'cause I decided not to build bottom/top pieces for hull & deck, but to build port/starboard pieces. This is 'cause the chines on the design.

This way, the union between halves will be on the bottom & top instead of sides, ensuring a perfect finish on the sides of the boat.

Old Feb 05, 2014, 04:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
As this is my first build, I did not have an easy way to cut planks from a balsa piece. So I built this tool for making 5mm planks. Takes like 2 minutes for each balsa piece!

Old Feb 05, 2014, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
Now I did the actual planking. My first time (as everything in this project). I used 3x5mm planks, glued with some CA to the shadows and to adjacent planks. Lots of work, and had tomake sure both sides were perfect reflections of each other.

Old Feb 05, 2014, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
Next I sanded everything, covered both sides with wall filler, sanded again, and painted with primer, sanded again but now with a very fine grain. Result is two almost perfect finished molds:

Old Feb 05, 2014, 05:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
Now came lots of experiments with the fiberglass laying technique. My first time again! I tried the "german rubber method" a couple of times with different combinations of fiberglass cloth. Finally decided 2 layers of 2oz/sqyd will be ok.

I will not post pictures and explanations of every experiment here, but take a look at these pictures of the molding & videos of the demolding process of my first experiment if you like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasa...7639976683944/
Videos: Step 1 - Step 2 - Step 3 - Step 4 - Step 5 - Step 6
Old Feb 05, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
Some pictures of the fisrt half waiting to cure. This was yesterday.You'll have to wait some days to see how it went!

Old Feb 05, 2014, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
In parallel this week I started with the rig. I am building a swing-rig with the breakback variation (by Niel Goodrich). First I got sail plans (by Frank Russel), draw them 1:1 scale, and cut some templates out of ABS:

The I build a "Claudio Device" for sticking panels together adding draft to the sail in the process:

I went for a similar draft for each sail. The jib with less draft than the main:

This is all so far. Will post more as I move forward.
Old Feb 06, 2014, 01:47 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,556 Posts
Did you find a link to the German rubber method? My link to it on the Great Hertford Model Boat Glub is now dead. I seem to remember that on that one the fibre glass was samdwiched between 2 layers of latex.
As a matter of interest, what is the weight of the two half hulls?
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Feb 06, 2014, 06:23 AM
France, Ile-de-France, Plaisir
Joined Sep 2010
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Did you find a link to the German rubber method?
I don't know the German method, but I have read with interest this thread written by a K1W1 living in Germany.

An exemple of building an Rg65 from ClaudioD :

jpparisy is offline Find More Posts by jpparisy
Old Feb 06, 2014, 06:59 AM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
Yes, that's the best blog I've found explaining the method. A little bit too technical but very informative.

I managed to get good results the first time by choosing transparent latex and a very thin epoxy that flows easy out of the latex sandwich.
Old Feb 06, 2014, 07:05 AM
Joined Dec 2012
368 Posts
Martin: I haven't removed the first half from the mold yet so I don't know yet. But total material weight is 110gr fiberglass and aprox 40gr epoxy. So total 150gr per half. But lots of excess epoxy flowed out the sandwich, and all the perimeter must be trimmed. I expect 60% of the weight! Wait for next week updates.
Old Feb 06, 2014, 01:49 PM
Joined Apr 2007
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Did you find a link to the German rubber method? My link to it on the Great Hertford Model Boat Glub is now dead. I seem to remember that on that one the fibre glass was samdwiched between 2 layers of latex.
As a matter of interest, what is the weight of the two half hulls?
The link is unfortunately dead, but yes, in the original write up/method we used two layers of latex (with a fiberglass-CF-fiberglass sandwich in between - it was for a US1M boat). Since then the method has sort of evolved, especially for smaller boats, and people are using packing tape instead of the first layer of latex - I just finished two footy hulls with this method. The advantage of having two layers of latex is that the inner sheet helps out to correct the small hull imperfections and is a little more forgiving.
gio06226 is offline Find More Posts by gio06226
Old Feb 06, 2014, 02:25 PM
United States, WA, Port Townsend
Joined Feb 2006
169 Posts
Fantastic contribution Tarmstro. Thanks very much for posting your experience.

I watched the videos of demolding. In the final video, is that the layup which is removed from the mold or the inner latex? If the former, it is very interesting how flexible it is. Can you provide the glass weight and the type of epoxy as a reference?

I was also somewhat surprised by how the outer layer of latex stuck to the mold. Am I correct to think that it would be difficult to reuse the latex to mold a second hull?
lhurt is offline Find More Posts by lhurt
Last edited by lhurt; Feb 06, 2014 at 04:05 PM.