HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2002, 04:18 PM
แอนครู กรีน (เขียว)
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2002
270 Posts
And Now Cont'd: And Thunderbolt !

My new project: The 'And Thunderbolt', with sincere apologies and acknowledgment to Paul Bradley: ( http://www.geocities.com/paulbrad_98/nocals.htm ) for his excellent, detailed, downloadable FAC No-Cal profile scale rubber power plans. For ideas see also the F6F-5 Grumman Hellcat, among others. I was considering the B25 Mitchell but the pair of B2 motors I have draw a total of 1.5 Amps! (too much for my 140 mAh LiPoly's)

This is built one to one from the plan except that I stretched the wing plan page chordwise by 10% using CorelDraw to add a little more area.

Dimensions are as follows: 16 inch wingspan / 56 square inches, assuming I can keep the weight to a max of 54 grams like the And Now the wing loading should be around 4.9 ounces per square foot.
It is at an early stage yet as I have to decide on things like how to attach the wing while maintaining the kind of structural integrity my flying (haha!) Demands.

I am going to decommision the Extra 300 in the photo and transplant the running gear as it never has had very predictable flying characteristics.

I have yet to slot the fuz' for a full length 1.8mm CF rod which should stiffen it up nicely.

I will post further details as building progresses.

Regards

Andrew
C Andrew Green is offline Find More Posts by C Andrew Green
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2002, 04:56 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
You'll be able to knock out a whole fleet of warbirds in an afternoon

I was cutting the parts out last weekend for the 'extra' and thought it would be cool to build a WWII fighter, problem is I can build them faster than I crash them (that and the fact they don't break) and just don't have enough radio gear.

You've managed to convince me to go for it, just downloaded the FW190, will have to see if I can finish it by Monday.

I've become quite addicted to Depron
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Aug 02, 2002, 05:25 PM
แอนครู กรีน (เขียว)
Oxford, UK
Joined Mar 2002
270 Posts
Wildpalms

Post some construction pics if you can.... you may need to cheat a bit and increase the wing area unless you're using rffs & actuators, mine will have the same setup as in my And Now thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=50701 My Extra was an own design based on a three view from http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/manatee/272/ an excellent source of plans for some real obscure types! When I get around to it I will remake the Extra with a less cambered wing.

Maybe we'll meet up at an indoor flyin and do some dogfightery could be a laugh.

Andrew
C Andrew Green is offline Find More Posts by C Andrew Green
Old Aug 04, 2002, 06:29 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Wow!

Andrew, how will you finish the depron or how did you on the yellow fuselage one in the picture? Can't wait to see the end product don't forget to post some pic's.
Very nice! It gives me ideas....
Roger
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Aug 04, 2002, 01:48 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
FW190

I finally made a start. I went for the high tech approach; printed it out, scale it in the copier, slit the wing along the chord and spaced it until I had a more reasonable area.

I have a spare GWS IPS S2 which I thought with 6 cells might be fun, so I went for 26" span. I haven't any smaller motors, will have to do some shopping.

A collegue is going to lend me a digital camera this week so I will do some shots as I go. I will post them in Parkflyer since this thing is going to be a little big and fast for indoor

I still haven't actually tried flying indoors yet. I have practiced a little with the fullsize 'and_now ' using an imaginary box.

I will have to do some investigating to find out what is going on indoors around here.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms