HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2005, 04:03 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Rave
Poly Sergio Assembly

Hi guys I thought I'd get a thread going on these as all my searches did not reveal too much information on the plane. I've always been searching for a more affordable F5J competitive sailplane and I think this one might be able to get my on my feet. Of course my good friend Flyingdogtwo has been a great inspiration and motivated me through endless hours of chatter. I'm sure at some points he got frustrated with me but fact is my funding is very limited in this hobby and I had to save up a bit to make this one a reality. I am a full on 3D pilot so excuse my uneducated mind when it comes to gliders. I have some experience in thermal soaring as I've been putting my Electra ARF through crazy hours of thermal hunting and I have quite a bunch of hours logged on the slope with foam delta wings but that's about as far as it goes.

As you might notice I am from South Africa so some hints given regarding materials to use etc might not be possible as we do not have access to the stuff here but still I would appreciate input/hints from everyone! So chime in please if you have a thought to share!

Also then I want to give a big thanks to Kurt from Niagara Frontier Models ( www.nfmodels.com ) for all hes help and patience to get the plane to me. It was a long and straining process but Kurt's customer service is absolutely top notch and he stuck with me to help me out. He made a fan out of me!

Right lets get going!
spacey is offline Find More Posts by spacey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2005, 04:09 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Here is the specs of the plane and basically everything I will be using in the model for those of you interested. I will be using it for Speed 400 class competition so I got the motor/gb/prop combo from Kurt as well.

Wing Span- 86.6 (2200 mm)
Length-38.1in. (970 mm)
Wing Area- 576.6 sqin
Weight - 11.0 oz+/- without radio gear. Weight with radio gear 20oz-22oz
Controls - Elevator, Rudder and Flap
Power: "Rocket" 400 motor 3-7.2v, Cosmotech 4.5:1 gearbox 12x7.5 carbon folding prop
Reciever: JR R700 (Case removed)
Servos: Hitec HS-55 sub micros
Bat for now: Kan 1050 nimh 8cell
Old May 06, 2005, 04:12 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Here is a picture of everything out of the crate that Kurt made me free of charge to make sure it gets to me unharmed! Thanks Kurt!

The quality of this plane is by far the best I have seen in my lifetime and I'm all smiles about it.
Old May 06, 2005, 04:20 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
I spent some time last night fixing up the Aluminium wing joiners that Niagara includes in the packages. Mine was a bit of a tight fit and I couldn't get them to work well as is. I had to sand down the joiners untill I could get them to slide in smooth yet still tight so there's no play between the joints. For those who don't know the plane can be dissasembled to look virtually as it does on the table above so almost everything gets taped together at the flying field. Quick and easy assembly and dissasembly. The joiners took quite a bit of time so I didn't get much more done like the alignment pegs etc so I will post on that hopefully Monday or so. Here is a picture of the wing in one piece.

I also took a picture of the battery I am going to use as this will have to be modified to fit inside the fuselage. Problem is that the negative (Black) wire bulges too much on the side of the pack so I will have to move that to make the pack slide in easy enough. All I need is some heatshrink and that can be fixed.
Old May 06, 2005, 01:49 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
looking forward to a flight report
FWFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FWFlyer
Old May 06, 2005, 01:53 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Spacey,
I am just about finished with my SS as well. I bought my SS from Kurt as well and yes he is a great guy. I had to resolder one of my perfectly soldered servo leads out to the wing which I did the other night, I was useing a a no name 20A ESC and it was not happy with 3S and 4 servos so I just finalised a deal for an old Astro 215D which should be fine. I also reworded the elevator push rod a bit so that the elevator would return to it original position. It is interesting that you have aluminum wing rods, mine came through with carbon. What is your ETA to getting her in the air.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old May 06, 2005, 02:41 PM
Flower Mound, TX
Joined Apr 2004
311 Posts
Wow, very intriguing airplane. If it handles wind fairly well it will be moving to the top of my list.
Mike
nunz15 is offline Find More Posts by nunz15
Old May 06, 2005, 02:42 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Be interested in following this thread. I too bought a Poly Sergio from Kurt.

I find the fuselage to be quite restrictive... make that very restrictive.
I cut a hatch in the top of the nose, and then discovered my planned battery pack (TP2100 2S) was going to be a struggle. I gave up.

I'm building a balsa pod of the size my fat thumbs and fingers can fit in. It will probably cost me about 3 oz., but I will enjoy the "luxury" of adequate space for components. I like 2" wide fuses/pods.

I decided to use an Allegro Lite boom I had laying around and to build conventional tail feathers. So at this point I have a $225 Poly Sergio wing.

I'll be using a Hacker B20 L15 w/Maxon 4:1 GB, 2S LiPo, and 13x6 folder. Even at a "fat" 27-28 oz. it should perform well for sport flying.

Maybe I'll revisit the stock pod & boom Vtail at some later point.

SG
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old May 06, 2005, 02:51 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
Spacey,
It is interesting that you have aluminum wing rods, mine came through with carbon. What is your ETA to getting her in the air.

Cheers,
Jim
Were yours carbon rods? I assume the flat wing allows the use of carbon. The aluminum rods are prebent for the dihedral in the poly wing.

SG
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old May 07, 2005, 05:19 PM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,413 Posts
Mike:

Even with that humongous diheral, with a little reflex, it moves in 10+ winds very well.
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Old May 07, 2005, 05:59 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra-gold

I'm building a balsa pod of the size my fat thumbs and fingers can fit in. It will probably cost me about 3 oz., but I will enjoy the "luxury" of adequate space for components. I like 2" wide fuses/pods.

SG
VERY interesting! I have a Sergio and while I was at it, ordered a second boom and convential tailfeathers from Kurt at the same time. Fully agree on the great service! I was going to use the stock pod on it, but come to think of it, maybe I need to look at making a balsa pod also.....

thx,
Mel D.
Mel Duval is online now Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old May 09, 2005, 01:52 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
Spacey,
I am just about finished with my SS as well. I bought my SS from Kurt as well and yes he is a great guy. I had to resolder one of my perfectly soldered servo leads out to the wing which I did the other night, I was useing a a no name 20A ESC and it was not happy with 3S and 4 servos so I just finalised a deal for an old Astro 215D which should be fine. I also reworded the elevator push rod a bit so that the elevator would return to it original position. It is interesting that you have aluminum wing rods, mine came through with carbon. What is your ETA to getting her in the air.

Cheers,
Jim
Hi Jim,
I think my next plane would be a Sky Sergio if by luck I get a hold of some more spare cash somewhere. I thought I would try the Poly Sergio first because my thermal skills are still a little limited and I'd rather avoid frustrating myself. I think the Poly is going to be a little bit easier to thermal than the Sky. I am hoping to get the plane in the air by this weekend. I can't guarentee that that will be the case but I am going to try. There is not too much that has to be done so chances are good.

For those interested the aluminium joiners can be seen in the first picture I posted. They are lying with all the other hardware just right and above the motor and gearbox assembly.
Old May 09, 2005, 02:42 AM
Pretoria, South Africa
Joined Mar 2004
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra-gold

I find the fuselage to be quite restrictive... make that very restrictive.
I cut a hatch in the top of the nose, and then discovered my planned battery pack (TP2100 2S) was going to be a struggle. I gave up.

I decided to use an Allegro Lite boom I had laying around and to build conventional tail feathers. So at this point I have a $225 Poly Sergio wing.

I'll be using a Hacker B20 L15 w/Maxon 4:1 GB, 2S LiPo, and 13x6 folder. Even at a "fat" 27-28 oz. it should perform well for sport flying.

SG
I agree that the fuselage is small and there is not much space for things to fit in but I do feel confident that with my setup I will have more than enough room inside to fit everything. I will have to remove the wing everytime I change out the battery but that is not a big deal. It is kinda like the fuselage was designed for the setup I have it seems regarding the width and the length.
Old May 09, 2005, 08:00 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Woops, I did not see that we were talking about a Poly Sergio, I can see by the amount of Dihedral why it uses aluminum wing rods. I don't know if you hooked up you Flap yet but I devised a really clean meathod of setting them up so that I do not have all the linkage on the outside. I used a very short piece of Goldenrod with the braided metal push rod. I get about 85 deg of delection and it looks great. I can shoot a picture over this evening if you are interested. I should have my ESC early this week so I may be able to maiden her this week. I know what you guys mean about the tight fuselage, I am hard pressed to get a 3S1200 E-techHP pack in there but I think it is going to work well. I had to mount my elevator servo under the rear part of the wing saddle and use my dremel to cut out an opening so that I can get to the screw that holds the arm onto the servo. All in all the quality is top notch.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old May 09, 2005, 08:04 AM
.Denver, Co.
Joined Feb 2003
1,413 Posts
Mel & Sierra:
If you didn't want to go thru the hassle of building a new fuse, the pod & boom for the Andromeda (Art Hobby) should work with those wings. But if you stick with a pure sp400 class plane (F5J-no b/l or lipos), there's plenty of room.
flyingdogtwo is offline Find More Posts by flyingdogtwo
Last edited by flyingdogtwo; May 10, 2005 at 08:49 AM.