Old Dec 20, 2013, 08:46 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
Discussion
Mini Boeing 737-100

Enjoy!

Had a Horizon F-86 that quickly bit the dust but the gear was still good - what to do? Built a scratchbuilt jet and it flew pretty darn good - way better than the F86.

Always wanted to build a mini-airliner so found another guy with guts from a crashed F86 and bought the remains - now I had 2 of these sweet little EDF's and all the servos etc.

Decided to try to bang out a little 737 - mostly cuz someone else was trying to do a 2 engine 747 and my build could help his build.

So guts are all from the Horizon F86. 2 30mm EDF and 4 of those servos using the stock RX and ESC's on a Y.

Length is 2' and wingspan is 2'ish - it's not strict scale but tweaked to fly a little better and slower.

Here is where we are so far....
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2013, 08:47 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
First flights video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=r2scKtPEZOc
Old Dec 21, 2013, 08:45 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,772 Posts
Pretty sweet hep!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 22, 2013, 02:38 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
Removable wings - thinking ahead eh! Would be much easier to fit in luggage but still might drive down next time
Old Dec 22, 2013, 03:09 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,470 Posts
Nice looking micro airliner! Your construction is making for a very scale look too.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:46 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
Thanks! The thing about working with these little suckers is it really forces me to build precisely...ish! They won't tolerate any extra weight so you can't just get the foam "close enough" and then do the rest with filler etc.

Anywho - played around with the same technique for the motor pods today - this is a 737-200 so the motor housing were long and thin - JT8D's were not BIG like you see today.

Lots of fartin around yet to do but it holds promise - I can get rid of the plastic thrust tubes saving over a gram - the one test tube I did doesn't even register on my scale so I'm thinking it weighs around .5 grams Will have to add some form of strengthener to it tho.... or try to make them from rolled depron
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:44 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
Messed around with the motor pods a bit today - figure this should work. Took a couple tries on the hot wire cutter to get the right ID taper. Went a little meatier on the OD and just sand down to the proper contour.

Motors are actually a touch too big for this scale of a 737-100 - maybe V3 will have to be a bit bigger.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 03:39 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,772 Posts
Whoa very cool!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 11, 2014, 06:07 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
Found some time and a place to test fly tonite! Here's hoping! If it flys well or at all then I will finish the paint job, windows etc.

AUW RTF is 167 grams Ooops The blue one was a floater and the wings on this one have camber and extra chord...should work....should....

A word on the ugly landing gear - I wasn't sure where the test flights would be and I won't hand launch the first flights. So I put on over-sized and taller than scale gear to enable ROG from snow covered parking lots....but tonite it's an empty hanger - smooth floors, highish ceiling and lots of space.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:11 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,612 Posts
looks great ....where you going to fly that one ?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:18 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,434 Posts
Looks absolutely Fantastic!!

But ya, it's going to need quite a bit of room at that weight. In your chuck prototype it looks like you're using two battery packs. Is this one also using two packs? There's a huge chunk of weight right there.

Did I mention it looks fantastic? I hope the flight tests work out!
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:45 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
Anywhere WARM! Learnt a few things tonight. 1 - when you tack things together for photos, make sure you actually glue them on before test flights. Couldn't figure out why the rudder trim was making things worse after each flight - then the whole vertical fin fell off (on the ground). Glued it on and much better...

This bird needs more space but heh, what ya gonna do....

IMG 1023 (0 min 45 sec)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:35 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
Looks absolutely Fantastic!!

But ya, it's going to need quite a bit of room at that weight. In your chuck prototype it looks like you're using two battery packs. Is this one also using two packs? There's a huge chunk of weight right there.

Did I mention it looks fantastic? I hope the flight tests work out!
I use a single 350 2S pack on this one - saves almost 1 oz in weight vs the twin 250 packs. If you guys ever book the Lawson center again let me know - flew my Space Shuttle there a few years back - love that place! Go Riders
Old Jan 12, 2014, 01:44 AM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepdog View Post
I use a single 350 2S pack on this one - saves almost 1 oz in weight vs the twin 250 packs. If you guys ever book the Lawson center again let me know - flew my Space Shuttle there a few years back - love that place! Go Riders
The Lawson? That was a some time ago. I didn't realize you were so close.

Last spring we booked the Event Plex indoor soccer fields. Green astro turf for as far as the eye could see. It was like flying outdoors (without the outdoors).

We've had a spectacular year indoor flying every Sunday (I'm trying to finish up the last of my scratch built blimp for a maiden tomorrow, erm, today). I'll keep you posted when we get dates set for the Prairie Indoor Electrofly (PIE) 2014.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Jan 12, 2014, 02:56 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
The Lawson? That was a some time ago. I didn't realize you were so close.

Last spring we booked the Event Plex indoor soccer fields. Green astro turf for as far as the eye could see. It was like flying outdoors (without the outdoors).

We've had a spectacular year indoor flying every Sunday (I'm trying to finish up the last of my scratch built blimp for a maiden tomorrow, erm, today). I'll keep you posted when we get dates set for the Prairie Indoor Electrofly (PIE) 2014.
Please do - I'm all about PIE....LOL