HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 P-47 60 vs Spitfire 60

So I ordered a P-47 from my hobbyshop but it doesn't ship out till Monday so I can change if I would like. I also saw the Spitfire and really like it's looks. I am using an ASP FS91AR. This will be my first 60 sized warbird. I do fly a fast prop jet (F-20) and an Escapade but really want to know which warbird is best for me. I have 2 days before it ships out. Does the Spitfire still have it's elevator problems? I do have a Parkzone Spitfire and it flies great. Which would you recommend? Should I change it?
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcflyyer1 View Post
So I ordered a P-47 from my hobbyshop but it doesn't ship out till Monday so I can change if I would like. I also saw the Spitfire and really like it's looks. I am using an ASP FS91AR. This will be my first 60 sized warbird. I do fly a fast prop jet (F-20) and an Escapade but really want to know which warbird is best for me. I have 2 days before it ships out. Does the Spitfire still have it's elevator problems? I do have a Parkzone Spitfire and it flies great. Which would you recommend? Should I change it?
I've got 'em both, the H9 Thunderbolt and the H9 Spitfire. They both have the same engine on them so that doesn't mess up the comparison.

There really isn't much difference in how they fly, especially since they both fly like sport planes. They've got light wing loading for a warbird and more than adequate surface areas, so what's to say......

What elevator problem. Almost every ARF ever mfg'd in China has 'that problem'. If they have good wood in the pile in front of them, they slap good wood wherever they're slapping it. I've recovered the F6F's horizontal tail (to put the correct color on the top) and the wood in there actually looked like they'd made an effort.

All of my H9 60 size warbirds have had OS91FX engines and 3-bladed 14x7 props and will do 100+mph. I don't fly them that fast except when the club with the radar has a flyin, however.

After some years dealing with ARFs, everyone of them in the last 5-6 years had gotten the covering re-shrunk tight during assembly. Tight covering has more effect than most things when it comes to the strength open structures are going to have in the air. And I test them after tightening, by hand to see how much flex they have. If they flex much, the bottom covering would be pulled in a heartbeat so I could see what kind of wood is inside. I haven't had to reinforce anything since about 5-6 years ago, when I discovered the wisdom of doing the test. I've always known about tight covering, something not every modeler seems to know.

I'd bet a number of ARFs with bad reputations got them from modelers who never even saw the inside of a kit model. And bet a number don't even own an iron. Half the guys who fly at the busy clubs around here wouldn't know how to plug on in, and are the ones who should be worried about flutter. Everybody should consider it, of course. whatever........
glidarflyar is offline Find More Posts by glidarflyar
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
BTW, all my H9 warbirds will do the IMAC pattern. They struggle with the Hammer Head, but will do that too. They're excellent model airplanes that just happen to look A WHOLE LOT like full scale airplanes.

Excellent value for the money for sure.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 01:28 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidarflyar View Post
BTW, all my H9 warbirds will do the IMAC pattern. They struggle with the Hammer Head, but will do that too. They're excellent model airplanes that just happen to look A WHOLE LOT like full scale airplanes.

Excellent value for the money for sure.
That's great to know! Which is your favorite though out of both of them? The P-47 looks like a better flying airplane but I don't know for sure. Do you like the P-47? Any bad tendencies?
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:45 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,273 Posts
I would stick with what you have ordered. I haven't flown either of the ones you're looking at, but have flown a few of the other H9 warbirds. (50 size Corsair, P-40, and the 40 Sport P-51. All great flyers) I would bet they both fly nice, but the more forgiving on the ground will be the P-47. Get your first Warbird experience with the P-47 and let the Spitfire be your second. They are like chips, Can't have just one. The landing gear alone is enough to keep me away from 90% of the Spitfire ARF's available. The 109 is the same way. Love the way it flys, but hate the way it handles on the ground.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Jun 2008
36 Posts
Only real advantage either one has is the ground handling of the P47. The Spitfire has narrow gear like the full scale one. The P47 has wider gear like the full scale one, and benefits from it just like the full scale one did.

I don't have a favorite in the air, but have a major dislike for how the F6F, F4U, and Warhawk (presently have only the TF one) handle on the ground. Of course, that's a problem with the gear. They all have rotating, rearward retracting gear. When down, the wheels are aft of where they would be had they come down to the scale position. Full scale would have the tire footprints about perpendicular to the LE of the wings.

Nobody makes a rotating gear that comes down far enough forward that is reliable. Presently the ones that come down 100degrees have absolutely awful reputations and are expensive.

Someone needs to come out with 100degree rotators that don't burn out often and are at least strong enough to deal with the average ARF wheel. It would be nice if they worked on the average flight battery that has evolved, or at least not require their own large battery.