HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
657 Posts
Discussion
Where to fly floats in SOCAL

Hi all,

I would love to get an icon a5 but I dont want to drive hours to a lake. Where do folks fly these things in LA?

Is there anywhere close by?
drumbum is offline Find More Posts by drumbum
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:53 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum View Post
Hi all,

I would love to get an icon a5 but I dont want to drive hours to a lake. Where do folks fly these things in LA?

Is there anywhere close by?
L.A. River?!? Also, as I recall there's a lake near downtown at one of the parks. There's (was?) a great rc airfield at balboa park in the valley that puddles nicely after a storm.

I've got a friend at the LHS who charms his way onto golf courses and uses their water hazards.
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jul 2004
77 Posts
Santa Fe Dam

Join the Santa Fe Dam RC Modelers and fly at the lake in Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area at the junction of the 605 and the 210 every other month.

Join the San Gabriel Valley Flyers and fly at Legg Lake (smaller) in Whittier Narrows Recreation Area once a month.

Fly at the float fly at Castaic once or twice a year.

Fly at Hucklebury Pond in Anaheim whenever you want, but no recovery boat is allowed, and it is quite a drive from Pasadena.

Jim
jrf2 is offline Find More Posts by jrf2
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
657 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.

Sounds like Legg Lake is the go.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Feb 2010
657 Posts
Jrf2

I forgot to ask. Is membership to san gabriel flyers required to fly floats at legg lake?

Thanks in advance

Db
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:34 AM
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Jul 2004
77 Posts
The flying at Legg Lake is done on one specific Monday of each month and it is for members and their guests. I am not a member, but have flown there as a guest. I am sure that they would let you try it out once or twice, but you would need to be a member to continue.

Jim
jrf2 is offline Find More Posts by jrf2