Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erunway1 View Post
This is how mine finally with the LG
Turned out fantastic. I also like the DJI arm frame. Great job.
Nick_P is online now Find More Posts by Nick_P
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
Malaysia
Joined Feb 2012
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P View Post
Turned out fantastic. I also like the DJI arm frame. Great job.
Don't get me wrong, the DJI arm is strong (I have tried and it went through quite a number of crashes, including hard ones and still survives)

but doesn't it induce vibrations as well?
neato4u is offline Find More Posts by neato4u
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:12 PM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neato4u View Post
Don't get me wrong, the DJI arm is strong (I have tried and it went through quite a number of crashes, including hard ones and still survives)

but doesn't it induce vibrations as well?
Not sure what this has to do with the frame; however, I have experienced vibes using stock DJI arms. Clone DJI arms seem to have less of an issue with vibrations.

That said the frame design looks great.
Nick_P is online now Find More Posts by Nick_P
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
hey nick this is a great design that you made.do you have a dxf file for this frame that would be great also if you need anything cut i have a cnc router i built let me know thanks rob
helliman27 is offline Find More Posts by helliman27
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:59 AM
Lake County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
85 Posts
FPV Spider Quad DXF files

Here ya go. I converted the .ai files I uploaded previously to .dxf format. (See post #28) They shouldn't need any cleanup I wouldn't think.
hakuna is offline Find More Posts by hakuna
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:37 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Belfast
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Great thread, gives all the info needed - but being a noob I need a little help

I haven't gone through all the videos yet, the thread was enough to spur me into "going for it" so thorough in information and videos so I can see exactly what needs to be done.

I'm an avid diy'er i'm going to try to get some alternative material for the frame like carbon fibre or G10 and machine on my CNC

Any issues using Sk450 frames instead of the 1/2" square in the BOM
I like the idea of well supported motors - just been re reading the thread, looks like the arms are fine, why is there another level of frame above the arms

Any opinion on the motors, my general reading advises use of lower kv motors, like 750kv instead of 1200kv. I'm assuming these motors have been chosen to suit the weight loading.

The flight controller is a mulitiwii, on my original design I was looking at a KK2.0 Multi-rotor LCD flight control board. I've no knowledge on this so appreciate opinions on preference - i've NEVER flown an RC ever If I go KK I assume I don't need the programmer

The 2200mAh battery packs qty 2. Is this one for use and one for spare. I was trying to get most parts from HK, so picked a Turnigy 3600mAh 30C Lipo pack is this suitable, what about a charger.

If I use this batt pack, then I guess I don't need the "fake deans" just more bullets.

What is the purpose of the Frsky Module and Receiver.

Appreciate the help guys, this looks just the ticket for a christmas project for me, and a Santa list for my kids
out_of_control is offline Find More Posts by out_of_control
Last edited by out_of_control; Nov 02, 2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: frame arms review
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:14 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
My spider is 3/8 inch alu c channel and 1/8 birch plywood. All cuts are squared, no angled cuts at all. Arms are 2x10" and 2x9.5" center plate is one 6x12 inch plywood cut down the center. Front is 120 degree arm angle and back is 90 degrees.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out_of_control View Post
Great thread, gives all the info needed - but being a noob I need a little help

Any issues using Sk450 frames instead of the 1/2" square in the BOM
I like the idea of well supported motors - just been re reading the thread, looks like the arms are fine, why is there another level of frame above the arms

I make a version out of these plans for the SK450 arms, and they work great.
The plans work fine "as is" for the bottom plate and the holes even line up, but the upper one needs the arm 'stubs" widened slightly to accommodate the width of the SK arms, because the mounting holes are further apart on the top side.
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10000 View Post
I make a version out of these plans for the SK450 arms, and they work great.
The plans work fine "as is" for the bottom plate and the holes even line up, but the upper one needs the arm 'stubs" widened slightly to accommodate the width of the SK arms, because the mounting holes are further apart on the top side.
So i'd be better getting the arms first, then modify the top plate to suit the arms before I CNC.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:39 AM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
My spider is 3/8 inch alu c channel and 1/8 birch plywood. All cuts are squared, no angled cuts at all. Arms are 2x10" and 2x9.5" center plate is one 6x12 inch plywood cut down the center. Front is 120 degree arm angle and back is 90 degrees.
I'm all in favour of KIS mode, "keep it simple", after all the skill is getting it to fly then actually being able to fly it (here's hoping). Having my own (DIY) CNC i'll take advantage of being able to make the palates just how I want them, cutouts where they are needed etc.

I was surprised when I saw the main plates made from wood, I reckon i'll be breaking a few on my endeavours, thats why i'm hoping to get some carbon fibre or G10 type material as i'm hoping they are strong enough to take a few tumbles.

I looked at aluminium square section, wasn't sure how much weight they would add, but seing the arms with motor mounts covering all screws sold it to me.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:45 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I have run mine into the ground a few times, no damage to the center plates. Possibly because its one screw in the arms, one pin, and friction; a hard impact is more likely to knock and arm out of position than break the ply. When I took it apart to shorten up the arms a bit I found that the alu bent before the ply broke!
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I have run mine into the ground a few times, no damage to the center plates. Possibly because its one screw in the arms, one pin, and friction; a hard impact is more likely to knock and arm out of position than break the ply. When I took it apart to shorten up the arms a bit I found that the alu bent before the ply broke!
Ply is quite strong, it all depends on the point of impact. I reckon i'll have tested all the possible points of impact before I get going properly.

Anyone comment on the FC selection or the frsky module ?
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:40 AM
Lake County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
85 Posts
Out_of_Control: Just in case you are new to CNC. Carbon Fiber creates an extremely dangerous dust that you don't want ANYWHERE, and especially with kids around. If you are already experienced and aware, disregard my "nanny mode" message. But I thought I'd be sure you knew to guard your health.

Hakuna
hakuna is offline Find More Posts by hakuna
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna View Post
Out_of_Control: Just in case you are new to CNC. Carbon Fiber creates an extremely dangerous dust that you don't want ANYWHERE, and especially with kids around. If you are already experienced and aware, disregard my "nanny mode" message. But I thought I'd be sure you knew to guard your health.

Hakuna
Very CNC experienced, but the caution is always welcomed, it's not just me thats reading this thread.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Carbon fiber dust isn't any more dangerous to your health than the byproducts of any other sanding or grinding operation - It's not some highly toxic material.
With that being said, the normal precautions you would take when working with ANY material where you are creating airborne dust should be taken.
OOC, CF has RF blocking properties. In this application G10 would probably be the best chioce.
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000