Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:32 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,453 Posts
do cockroaches even swim? and aren't most longer than one inch?

i'm thinking of trying a scale boat, or at least semi scale that looks like a boat
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:52 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
It was not long after I did that post I thought "maybe they are longer than an inch" I don't know if they float but with some foam glued to its belly the leg would be like little oars

What style of semi scale are you thinking, yaught, speed boat or cruise liner?
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:08 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,023 Posts
i am also jonesing to make a tiny scale boat. but first i got to beat derks "floating ice chest". lol! now that i know anything goes in the looks dept the current 1" design should be easy to beat (well.. maybe not THAT easy). in retrospect the actuator rudder on mine makes no sense. trimming 1/8" off made virtually no difference at all compared to derks 25mm. but stealing ideas from him and using one of my tiny .25 gram diy frsky rx it should be easy to get down there. and now i know how to upload to the rcgroups video gallery.

watch out! here i come!
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
I would love to see some info on that .25g RX Dave!
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:04 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,023 Posts
thanks to the hard work of simonchanbers and kreature i was able to build rx that are cheaper and smaller than commercial units from info in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667453

i must say that getting size down there does come with a penalty. even though im considered a crack smd "whisperer" the dead bug construction of mlf package is challenging. also because im using a super tiny folded dipole w/o the fancy balun circuit or amp the range is less than off-the-shelf rxs. but good enough for my heli, quad, and micro parkflyers. and more than enough for a boat (i hope).
Old Dec 01, 2013, 09:46 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,453 Posts
i know this boat will not be the smallest, or have the functions that were stated in the beginning of this thread, however i think it falls into this threads category.

i have been playing around with press molding a small boat hull the last few evenings and finally have something worth noting
its pulled from .020" styrene sheet, might see if i can get my hands on some thinner material. i have also been trying some other clear plastics with varying results, staying open to any options.

with all the equipment inside it weighs in at 1.6 grams, could be less once i get some smaller motors

i had to make the walls taller to keep the rim of the hull from getting the surface tension to crawl up to it when ballasted.

will post more as i get it. maybe i will make a few other hulls this way and see what comes of it.
Old Dec 04, 2013, 03:24 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,023 Posts
ono... just when flying season ends and i was dusting off my latest rx and 2.8mm pagers to beat your current world record. back to the drawing board!
Old Dec 04, 2013, 07:13 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,453 Posts
dont worry dave, this one will likely end up longer than the last one. i just wanted to try out another receiver i have on hand, with one motor and an actuator.
the biggest limitation here as with micro airplanes is the physical size and weight of the battery. i could try and trim it down, but its not going to get a whole lot lighter or smaller.
hopefully i will be able to have a go at beating the last one soon, but not just yet
Old Dec 05, 2013, 07:06 PM
Iowa City Iowa
Joined Jun 2000
417 Posts
I was thinking about building something small.. But designed and built more for speed like a rigger.

You guys think a pager motor could get a nano rigger up on plane? I don't see why one couldn't solder a wire drive on, tweak some props and race your buddies in the winter.
GiantScale is offline Find More Posts by GiantScale
Old Dec 06, 2013, 04:19 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,023 Posts
for me it wasnt motor power but prop shape that limited speed. with my crummy cutouts from bubble pack plastic they barely crawl through the water. enough to turn and backup though which in this case is ultra important. otherwise you really cant consider it to be a boat in control.

personally i doubt youll ever get up on plane but it would be interesting to see what you do manage.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:45 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantScale View Post
I was thinking about building something small.. But designed and built more for speed like a rigger.

You guys think a pager motor could get a nano rigger up on plane? I don't see why one couldn't solder a wire drive on, tweak some props and race your buddies in the winter.
The "I don't see why one couldn't solder a wire drive on, tweak some props and race your buddies in the winter." part is what interests me.

What props are you planning to tweak?

I think you're writing about something much bigger than what you're looking at.

When you get down to these sizes you'll find that you have to get fairly inventive and try five or six things before you have a solution that's acceptable. NOTE. I said acceptable, not great or fantastic.

Boredom Is Me has done some really cool small stuff but it's WAY bigger than what you see here and he's designing stuff that's being 3D printed by Shapeways. Why not go smaller? Because 3D printing has limited resolution and BIM is already pushing the limits.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:29 AM
Iowa City Iowa
Joined Jun 2000
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
The "I don't see why one couldn't solder a wire drive on, tweak some props and race your buddies in the winter." part is what interests me.

What props are you planning to tweak?

I think you're writing about something much bigger than what you're looking at.

When you get down to these sizes you'll find that you have to get fairly inventive and try five or six things before you have a solution that's acceptable. NOTE. I said acceptable, not great or fantastic.

Boredom Is Me has done some really cool small stuff but it's WAY bigger than what you see here and he's designing stuff that's being 3D printed by Shapeways. Why not go smaller? Because 3D printing has limited resolution and BIM is already pushing the limits.

Pete
Yea, I will admit.. I was having a beer with my buddies at that moment. Staring outside wishing it was warmer..

But no, I understand the prop is carved from wood or suitable material and is around 5mm. And the boat is less than 3" long.
I envision a 8x12 pond made with 2x4's and plastic sheet and me and my friends having a blast with fast (for the size) boats in the winter.
I did it a few years ago with cars in the living room and track. It was huge and we had a blast, but everything gets old eventually..
GiantScale is offline Find More Posts by GiantScale
Last edited by GiantScale; Dec 08, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,270 Posts
I've thought about using tin to make a surface prop for a sub 3in nano rigger producing a rooster tail in a 4 ft indoor plastic pool. I would like to try a tether rigger with copper winding wire sending the power to the motor and a rheostat throttle. You would only need enough hull to hold the motor and drive line.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:22 AM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
That would be an interesting boat version of RTP flying!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,270 Posts
Yes nano boats have their place as any sort of boating indoors during the cold nasty winter weather season is a plus. Would be a great way to test tin micro props for performance and tweaking bending in pitch, rake, cupping tin would be a sinch. You could just time the laps even monitor amp draw at the rheostat then set up the driveline in a nano RC boat once you find the best set up.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser