Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:09 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
701 Posts
Original Power System Update

One of the original Dual Sky ESCs in the first build quit working. I replaced both of the Dual Sky ESCs with Castle Creations Pheonix 25s.

The Castle ESCs on the default settings work well and have also solved the stall problem !

It was nice to finally get that worked out.

RPatrick
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:39 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,101 Posts
I wonder if the Dual sky esc is better than the Turnigy's? I would love to get the Castle creations esc with their "great " warranty and reliability, but they cost soooo much! Well, one day I'll get one...perhaps.

I changed my Monster Jet motor to a 2100 kv MicroDan -2510 motor. Its almost half the weight of the Monster and just as strong and then some. I'm pretty much finished my plane. The only thing is left to do is to glue the rudders on and that's it. This plane is sure beautiful!
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:27 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
701 Posts
It sure is a beautiful plane. It is the most striking foam model I have ever seen. People that turn and see it are always like "Whoaaaaah!" lol

I believe the Dual Sky ESCs are the same as Turnigy Plush.

I think the problem with the Dual Sky ESC may be limited to only the smaller MicroDan motors. My brother has used the larger 2510 with a Dual Sky with no issues, but that was with the 1300 Kv motor though.

Congratulations on finishing the long build ! Have you chosen a prop yet ? I hope that 2100 Kv works out for you. The thing about that high Kv motor is that you will have to use a small prop. Since you are only going to have one motor, it may have worked out better to go with the 1300 Kv so you could use a 9 or 10 inch single prop and get more efficient thrust. If you are going with a 3 cell battery, it looks like a 7x4 inch prop is the biggest size you should use on the 2100 Kv and that will pull around 40 amps. That should fly it pretty well though !

One thing about flying this jet is when you sweep the wings back the roll rate gets extremely fast. On mine, with the wings fully forward or in the middle position, the control surfaces are programmed to move fully. I programmed my radio so that when the wings are swept back all the way, the control surfaces only move about half the distance. Any more movement than that will roll this jet like a drill bit ! Note that I still left the elevator with full movement in all wing positions, it is only the left or right stick movements that I reduced. With the wings swept back, the elevator is less effective, so you need all the movement you can get from it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:28 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,101 Posts
Thank RP!

Yeah I wanted a more powerful motor that could probably do something, if not a little justice. I wasn't comfortable with a 9 or 10" prop hitting the ground every time I belly landed it....you know? Lol..! If Colinski can fly this huge plane with a tiny motor, I sure it'll do just fine with the one it has with a smaller blade. Ha!..just say it Should•

I'm scared- it look so nice! I wish I could post some pictures but my "smart" phone won't let me. Well, when the feelings right, I'll maiden her with the help of my brother.

Angelo
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:36 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
701 Posts
Sounds good Angelo !

Thanks for the update, and best of luck to you on your maiden flight !

RPatrick
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:42 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,101 Posts
Thanks a lot*
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:30 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
971 Posts
G-LO'S Tomcat

hi guys. My name's Anthony and I'm Angelo's( G-LO) brother. He wanted me to put up some pictures of his F-14. So here they are...
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Last edited by anthodenn; Aug 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:38 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,101 Posts
Thanks bro! Yeah that her alright.

I still haven't applied the stickers yet. Slowly but surely I will.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:06 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
971 Posts
Anthodenn's F-14

And this is mine. But I'm way in the beginning stages. It's pretty much dry fitted.
I painted it white for a beautiful contrast to the sky and trees.
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Aug 23, 2013, 05:59 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
701 Posts
Angelo,

Sharp looking custom paint job, that looks great on this F-14 ! It is going to look fantastic with the decals !

Anthony,

Sweeeeeeet !!! Imagine what she'll look like finished out ! Ever since I painted my front section white, I've been wanting to see an all white one.

It is GREAT to see custom paint jobs on this model, its just amazing how freakin' awesome this kit can look.

Keep up the great work guys and feel free to keep us posted !

RPatrick
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:13 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,101 Posts
Thanks for the compliment Rpatrick! We appreciate that.*
Old Oct 14, 2013, 04:02 PM
Joined Feb 2010
384 Posts
Nice going there guys!

Would like to see them up in the air!

How is that arttech bird doing? What is the set up?

@RP:How is that cat comming along patrick?
colinski is offline Find More Posts by colinski
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:07 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,101 Posts
Hey Colinski. My bother had a brown out and crashed his f_14 on the roof of a house. That was the BEST flying plane he EVER had! What's left of it is in storage...dog on it..

If you have a spare f_14 he and I would definitely love you for it . Seriously though, I have always wanted a plane that flies like that.

After his crash, I was scared to fly anything. Once I finish helping him move he'd said he say his bit.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 07:12 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
701 Posts
It still needs a lot of work !

I have been putting a few more flights on my original though, just love the way it flys.

Nice pics Colin !
Old Oct 15, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
701 Posts
Angelo,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's F-14. It is very difficult to deal with losing so much time and effort. I'm sure it was a beauty ! This is sad news indeed.

Regards