HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
Preferably something that does not require a win* installation for development/config/setup/tuning?
Great way to limit yourself to your own toys.
I would recommend CrossWorks Studio + JLINK jtag/swd adapter.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Last edited by timecop; Dec 16, 2011 at 04:01 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:53 AM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Great way to limit yourself to your own toys.
like I said - preferably. I use whatever works best, but if I have a choice I follow my own preferences. YMMV.
Quote:
I would recommend CrossWorks Studio + JLINK jtag/swd adapter
thanks for the hint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger
Anyone working on a port of some other fc-software?
any info on that? yes, I have seen a list of possible candidates in an earlier post, but is someone actually doing a port?
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger View Post
any info on that? yes, I have seen a list of possible candidates in an earlier post, but is someone actually doing a port?
It's hard to do anything without seeing the board (I got one on the way but it'll be a while), I've started cleaning up my STM8 MultiWii port so that it can also run on STM32, as well as started (nothing commited yet) making it run on OpenPilot hardware. I'm using it's usb as virtual com port, so that's where I'm currently stuck. I suspect if I ignore that part and just do it plain old uart style the 8->32 port shouldn't take long at all. You can probably take the lazy way out and use something like libmaple but there's a lot of hardware-specific stuff in multiwii that doesn't use arduino framework (rx, serial, pwm?) etc so... It might not be a good idea.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:50 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,456 Posts
Paparazzi?

Well, paparazzi project at this moment uses STM32, but their hardware cost a lot (more than i can pay - Lisa/M is 250$ with Aspirin IMU, shipped from USA, with tax and shiping it's 380$ here). Of course, sensors (gyro/acc) won't be supported out-of-the-box, but other hardware (at least, init, to do some further debugging) may be possible?
What do You think about? I got no expierence with microcontrollers, but know linux (no kernel hacking/hw, but no problems modifying existing code) and a bit of C. If You think that may be possible to use this board to run paparazzi (with added baro probably) - i go order one...
ABLomas is offline Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
This thing only has 64k flash device (STM32F103C8T6), I think something light weight like multiwii is the easiest to get working on it. Paparazzi probably needs a lot more than just sensors on board (but I never looked at their hardware so I dont know).
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:36 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,456 Posts
Quote:
This thing only has 64k flash device (STM32F103C8T6)
Well, Lisa/M schematics says:
  • Minimum: STM32F103RB
  • Maximum: STM32F103RE
And there's Lisa/S (draft so far, no working devices).
So, IMO only 64K vs 128K minimum flash size (freq, Internal RAM, timers, etc - the same) difference.
And because STM32 on this board is surface-mounted, shouldn't be so hard to re-solder (like ppl did with KK board chips)?

Would be nice to test one, but with quad-only configuration and no alternate configurations - probably will be useless for me (i have hex/tri)

EDIT: checked datasheets again, due to different form-factor wouldn't be easy to swap chips.
Last edited by ABLomas; Dec 16, 2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Clarified differences between chips
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:53 AM
Hamburger
Joined Jan 2010
818 Posts
Quote:
It's hard to do anything without seeing the board (I got one on the way but it'll be a while), I've started cleaning up my STM8 MultiWii port so that it can also run on STM32, as well as started (nothing commited yet) making it run on OpenPilot hardware.
I know about your stm8 port.

from what you know, is porting openpilot to this Ff board a probable task?
hamburger is offline Find More Posts by hamburger
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
If you rip out USB stuff and manage to make it fit into 64k etc, it might just work.
maybe something like movecopter branch of OP would be an easy target to fit to this board since I believe it uses a bunch of i2c sensors. (hm, just checked - or not - only mag is i2c).
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:30 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,456 Posts
Ordered one anyway. Will try to put some code from other autopilots if possible.
A bit offtopic - i probably need something more than FTDI cable to debug (and usbasp won't work here anyway)? Ebay search on "srm32 dev" shows many devices with TFT screen, but that's for developing new equipment. Do i need some advanced cable (or JTAG pins are allways available)?

EDIT: or equipment like this one? Pricey ;-)
Last edited by ABLomas; Dec 16, 2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Added link to ARM JTAG?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
You can get JLINK-EDU for around ~$60. You can get a STM32VLDiscovery or STM32F4Discovery boards for < $20 and use the STLink or STLinkV2 debugger that's part of them to develop. However, until I (or someone who knows what they're doing) gets one of these boards and traces the signals to make sure jtag or at least swd interface is actually available externally, I wouldn't rush out to buy any tools. If debugging the board means soldering wires to 0.5mm pitch tqfp, I won't bother with it. If you don't care to actually debug and just want to flash some software, it should support serial bootloader and you can just load some pre-built hex file from others.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:37 AM
Flying Like Evil
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Garons
Joined Oct 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper1234 View Post
hello,

thanks to the people in the microcontroller forum

now an english dashboard !

greeting

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/topic...456626#2456626

just see GLB has also been reworked!
Does anybody knows the way to update PCTOOL to correct language to ENGLISH
THX
C team MOD is offline Find More Posts by C team MOD
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Why not just redownload it from the site? They already included english version.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:06 AM
Flying Like Evil
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Garons
Joined Oct 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Why not just redownload it from the site? They already included english version.
Thanks
It didn't work for me at the first time. Make sure to uninstall PC tool and reinstall it.....
C team MOD is offline Find More Posts by C team MOD
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:06 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,456 Posts
Quote:
If you don't care to actually debug and just want to flash some software, it should support serial bootloader and you can just load some pre-built hex file from others.
Thank You timecop. Shipments from China usually take 5-6 weeks, so trying to pick anything i would need (will have vacation at end of 2012.01 - more time to spend thinking why my foamies crash so much ;-)
Soldering small pins shouldn't be a problem, but maybe i can get away with serial connection.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:04 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Deutschland
Joined Nov 2009
660 Posts
Free Flight Scheet ?

Free Flight Scheet ?

who has a FreeFlight?

who goes on the schematic?

JUERGEN_ is offline Find More Posts by JUERGEN_