HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:18 PM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
960 Posts
More cells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
On another note I remember Rockflyer .. mentioned once in one of his videos reviewing the ZII that the original 1300kv motor is rated for 700 watts but he was getting 1800 out of it ..

How can you do that .. ??

If when you use WOT .. your Wattmeter shows a max of 800 watts for example .. so to me it looks this is the max I can get .. unless I use a different prop .. maybe larger in diamter or pitch until I hit the 1800 watts ..

I know it's a newbie question.. so please forgive me I just wanna learn nothing more .. I'm not even gonna try it .. just wanna know ..

Thanks a lot

Khaled
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:06 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,818 Posts
maybe ...

but as long as the prop and batteries are the same .. then you cannot get the motor to output more power .. I hope I'm correct ..

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:34 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Stop worrying about the max watts the motor is rated for, cool it well and you will be fine, I would be more worried about your ESC.
How many cells you running , and what prop?
How much does your plane weigh??
Quote:
On another note I remember Rockflyer .. mentioned once in one of his videos reviewing the ZII that the original 1300kv motor is rated for 700 watts but he was getting 1800 out of it ..

How can you do that .. ??

If when you use WOT .. your Wattmeter shows a max of 800 watts for example .. so to me it looks this is the max I can get .. unless I use a different prop .. maybe larger in diamter or pitch until I hit the 1800 watts ..

I know it's a newbie question.. so please forgive me I just wanna learn nothing more .. I'm not even gonna try it .. just wanna know ..

Thanks a lot

Khaled
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:35 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
What he said !!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Seddon View Post
More cells?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:26 PM
Beyond the BlackStump
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Mar 2006
317 Posts
I love this thing!

Zephyr II - Flown with Dragonlink (4 min 34 sec)
Macattaka is offline Find More Posts by Macattaka
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
If you have the latest RiteWing ESC, the blue 65amp model then the turnigy programing card WILL NOT work. Chris can sell you the proper card for the blue ESCs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
LOL. I guess I need to be clearer with my questions. As much as I would like to have something keep my prop from breaking I understand that could be difficult.

I wanted to make sure the prop does not free spin when I am gliding which would add drag especially if and when I go to a folding prop.

If the turnigy card works for the Ritewing ESC then great. I will get one. Thanks
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:26 AM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Hey guys. Do the elevons have a top and a bottom? I know rocky's video shows how to find the "top side" of the elevon, but the ritewing manual doesn't mention a top v.s. bottom surface.

If there is a top v.s. bottom surface, then I messed up a cut and now I have two right side elevons. Am I over thinking it, or does this need to be respected?

Hope that makes sense.
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:38 AM
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
Hey guys. Do the elevons have a top and a bottom? I know rocky's video shows how to find the "top side" of the elevon, but the ritewing manual doesn't mention a top v.s. bottom surface.

If there is a top v.s. bottom surface, then I messed up a cut and now I have two right side elevons. Am I over thinking it, or does this need to be respected?

Hope that makes sense.
Yes, there is a top and bottom. If you look at the elevon from the side it looks like a triangle. one of the edges is cut at 90 degrees. The 90 degree cut is the top edge.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:43 AM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
198 Posts
Yeah, I realize that.. I'm just asking If it makes a difference. If one of my elevons is upside down, will it restrict control surface articulation in such a way that it adversely affects flight control?

I messed up one of my cuts so now I've basically got two "right wing" elevons"
I'm trying to decide whether I go out and buy new balsa or just mount them the way i've cut em.
chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Last edited by chicken sashimi; Apr 21, 2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
90 should be bottom...

Ritewing Zephyr 2 ZII build part 4 (3 min 58 sec)
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:51 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
Stop worrying about the max watts the motor is rated for, cool it well and you will be fine, I would be more worried about your ESC.
How many cells you running , and what prop?
How much does your plane weigh??
Hi Chris

I'm running 2X4000 mah 4S zippy compact 25/35C
weight of each battery is 366g

Graupner folding prop 10X6 and Aeronaut folding prop 9X7 have been flown

ESC is Turnigy plush 60 amp with exposed heat sink (heat shrink removed) and thicker battery wires ..

Havne't tested the New ritewing motor yet .. I've flown 4 flights with the Hyperion ZS 3014-12 1132KV

Watt meter shows a max of 52 amp and 812 watts at WOT with fully charged lipos ... instead of 67 amp shown by ecalc

I feel my ZII is a bit too heavy .. but I've just weighted it .. it is 2223g AUW, 1491g w/o batteries

Motor timing is set to high .. and also tried it on low .. but high seems to be the right setting ...

I'll post some photos of the ZII shortly

Thanks a lot for looking

Khaled
Last edited by khaled_abobakr; Apr 21, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,818 Posts
Here are the photos ...

And the AUW to follow shortly

Update ... AUW is 2223g , 1491g w/o batteries

Khaled
Last edited by khaled_abobakr; Apr 21, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:56 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,781 Posts
Well it looks like you veered off from the suggested build quite a bit.
My build without bats come in about 38 to 41 oz usually , yours is 52 oz.
No need for hotglue in the winglets , this adds tons of tail weight , its not needed!!!

Your motor is low in KV and would do better on 5s, your bats should be in the 3000 to 3400 range with a go pro, 4000 mite be ok if you build wasnt almost a pound over weight and you are not running a go pro.
My motor will work better than the hyperion on your given setup, but the esc is a bit small for long WO runs.

I think you need to find that sweet spot between building it to fly or building it to crash, its looks prety much overbuilt with too much bat and too much love to the build and not enough motor, all these things will add up, heavy winglets will kill you , you want the weight centered if all possible.

It flys great heavy , but its harder to launch and needs more power, lol ,lucky you over built it

Quote:
Here are the photos ...

And the AUW to follow shortly

Update ... AUW is 2223g , 1491g w/o batteries

Khaled
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,946 Posts
ZII Maiden

Maidened my ZII yesterday, It went well but i had a bit of a scare on launch, the Guardian pitch/roll gains were too hi and it was oscillating like crazy! Got her back in one piece and dialed down those gains, flys much better but i'm still dialing her in. More flight tests needed before i go full long distance FP but so far i love it.

ZII oscillations.wmv (1 min 52 sec)
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
Yeah, I realize that.. I'm just asking If it makes a difference. If one of my elevons is upside down, will it restrict control surface articulation in such a way that it adversely affects flight control?

I messed up one of my cuts so now I've basically got two "right wing" elevons"
I'm trying to decide whether I go out and buy new balsa or just mount them the way i've cut em.
You can just use them the way you cut them. You'll have a bigger range of motion down with the one mounted upside down but the ZII uses such small throws anyway that it wont matter. I fly with my high rates at 55% and even thats alot