HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:06 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,215 Posts
Landing Gear

After a lot of deliberation I find myself leaning towards getting a 47" Osiris. I had been holding out for the soon to be released Extreme Flight Pantera but after much thought I really don't need another 3d plane. I can torque roll all day long but I find myself spending more time flying big graceful pattern maneuvers than down on the deck 3d anymore.

I'd love to spring for the 62" but with one kid at MSU and another starting at U of M this fall I have to settle for the 47", at least for this year. My question for you guys is how have the landing gear blocks been holding up in the 47"? For the most part I fly from a nice smooth surface but occasionally I'll be flying from our club field where the grass can be a bit on the long side.

Having done a little pattern flying in the mid 70's I'm looking forward to flying something that tracks really well again. It's not that my EF Edge 540 doesn't fly well it's just not quite as precise as I'd like.

Thanks in advance for your input guys.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:25 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,812 Posts
Eh r/cdawg,

I grew up in Grand Blanc, MI. Went to U of M, ended up in Berkeley, CA..... that is another story.

Anyhow the landing gear is quite stout. I totally abused the gear on my Aspera and it NEVER failed me!

I would say the 47"Osiris is an amazing bargain for the money.

Do it!

Greg
Greg Beshouri is online now Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,114 Posts
I agree with Greg. The LG on the 47" Osiris is very robust, and should be fine on grass. This plane is a pussycat on landings. It glides beautifully, and I usually just cut the power completely once I turn on final and it sets down very gently. You will love this plane, I promise you!
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,215 Posts
Greg and Neil, thank you very much for the information. It is true that of all the planes I've had over the years the pattern planes were the best all around flyers. I remember my first Kaos way back when was so docile to land that I would burn a couple tanks each time out doing the prettiest nose high touch and goes. Good to hear the Osiris is true to the breed.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know what I decide.

dawg
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:14 PM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Extreme Flight rc 40mm blue spinner

Hi guys,
Any one running a Extreme Flight rc 40mm spinner on their Osiris?

I have a question when i have the plastic backplate on from the spinner
and tightening it to the metal shaft to the motor, it slips when i crank down on it ,so then when
i try to put the spinner cone on it it wont line up with the screws to attach it!!

Any ideas for the plastic backplate so it wont slip when tighteing up the nut and prop to it, so i can put the spinner cone on it?

Thanks
dbgood is offline Find More Posts by dbgood
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:41 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,114 Posts
Make two discs out of sandpaper, and mount them back-to-back between the prop adaptor and the spinner back and/or between the prop and spinner back (depending on what's slipping). That usually does the trick. Then you have to carefully hold the prop in the right position as you slowly tighten the prop nut. It also helps to mark the right spot for the position of the prop blade so you can easily see whether it's in the right position as you tighten the nut.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:36 AM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
Make two discs out of sandpaper, and mount them back-to-back between the prop adaptor and the spinner back and/or between the prop and spinner back (depending on what's slipping). That usually does the trick. Then you have to carefully hold the prop in the right position as you slowly tighten the prop nut. It also helps to mark the right spot for the position of the prop blade so you can easily see whether it's in the right position as you tighten the nut.
Ok thank you ,i did that and it worked great!!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:09 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,114 Posts
Good news! Enjoy your Osiris.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:20 PM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
CG on Osiris

My Osiris is ready to fly, probably fly it tomorrow its very
windy out today,

I have a question for the CG
it says 100 -125mm..

I did the CG at 115mm is that good?

Also i balanced it right side up ,is that the way everyone is doing that
or are they balancing it inverted ?

Thanks for you time,

DB
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,114 Posts
115 should be a fine place to start. I can't remember where I ended up with mine, I just moved it back until it got to a spot that I liked. CG is very much a matter of personal preference, so you should just experiment until it feels right to you, but as long as you start around the middle of the recommended range you will be fine for the maiden flight. The only other piece of advice I would give you is that this plane on 4S is a real rocket ship, but it doesn't NEED to go that fast to fly well. Don't be afraid to slow it down on your maiden until you get it trimmed out and are comfortable with it. I find that it has no bad habits at any speed.

As far as whether the CG is measured with the plane upright or inverted, I may be missing something but I've never thought that it made any difference. Depending on where they balance vertically, I think some planes are easier to hold on your fingertips inverted than upright, but other than that I don't see what difference it makes.

Neil
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:21 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,215 Posts
I've got a couple 4s/2200 30c packs I'll probably use to begin with. I checked through the thread again and it seems flight times are all over the board. Is anyone out there using 2200mah packs yet and if so ballpark what are your flight times. I know it all depends on how heavy of a throttle thumb (mine is my right thumb as I fly old school mode one) the pilot has. I'm hoping for around 7 minutes of flying at a "brisk" pace, not full throttle all the time but still moving out. Eventually I'll pick up some 2600 packs to extend my flight time.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:37 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,114 Posts
I'm using 4S/2500 25C packs, and I now have my timer set at 7 minutes. I'm very conservative with my packs, and they come down at around 15 volts after 7 minutes of pretty aggresive pattern flying. But you are correct that flight times are widely varied with this plane depending on throttle management. This plane on 4S is capable of doing huge maneuvers, but the bigger you make your loops, the more juice you will use, obviously.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:44 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,215 Posts
Thanks for the input Neil, I'll probably shoot for around 6 to 6-1/2 minutes with the 2200's.

So with my research now complete I guess I need to get one ordered.

Thanks for your help guys.

dawg
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
Fly Fast!
scotia ,NY
Joined Jul 2008
627 Posts
So im just getting my Orsiris ready for its maiden tomorrow,
i see that the elevator is off abit its the same length
from fuse to elevator ,but its angled a tad ,it looked great
when i was doing it but the angle is off abit....
Cant really do anything about it because its CA'd already,
im so upset,cant really notice it unless i look hard at it...
maybe i can try to use a Xacto blad, but i'll probably rip into the
wood or covering to reglue it...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:26 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Suggest leaving it be unless it is not moving freely. The elevators on my 62" are off a bit and it still flies just fine. Enjoy your new ride!
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania